What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

I was driving home from work today and felt a warm bit of air on my leg, I reached down towards the floor and felt that it was pretty warm. I checked to see if the heater was on, it was not. I reached back down and the floor was warm to the touch. I put my hand under the floor mat and felt hot air, I slid my hand a little further and went into a hole. When I got home I pulled the floor mat out and there was 2 holes melted in the carpet. I took a look under the truck and saw that right by the y-pipe the floor was rotting away. There is no heat shield above that part of the exhaust and it is f@&$ing up my floor. Has anyone else ever encounter this?

Pretty common. The pipe is normally leaking at the flange, and that hot exhaust jets right into the bottom of your floor. I just welded a new patch in mine. It was fun trying to fit my large head with my welding hood on under the dash. Good times.

I was driving home from work today and felt a warm bit of air on my leg, I reached down towards the floor and felt that it was pretty warm. I checked to see if the heater was on, it was not. I reached back down and the floor was warm to the touch. I put my hand under the floor mat and felt hot air, I slid my hand a little further and went into a hole. When I got home I pulled the floor mat out and there was 2 holes melted in the carpet. I took a look under the truck and saw that right by the y-pipe the floor was rotting away. There is no heat shield above that part of the exhaust and it is f@&$ing up my floor. Has anyone else ever encounter this?

Yeah, I had the same issue. I cut out the bad metal, rust treated everything, went to Lowes and bought a sheet of 16GA steel, cut it to fit (with overlap), banged it into shape with a hammer/mallet, then welded the plate in. Then rust treated it all again and sprayed 3 coats of undercoating top and bottom.

1305059796352.jpg

2011-08-22_21-20-21_968.jpg

327392_1553389891742_1745010905_823810_1407338509_o.jpg

Got it back from the mechanic, found out the timing is fine, it just sucked some crud into the fuel system. It's got a little tick at idle... I'll see if it smooths out over the next week. Nice to have it back!

Yeah, I had the same issue. I cut out the bad metal, rust treated everything, went to Lowes and bought a sheet of 16GA steel, cut it to fit (with overlap), banged it into shape with a hammer/mallet, then welded the plate in. Then rust treated it all again and sprayed 3 coats of undercoating top and bottom.

1305059796352.jpg

2011-08-22_21-20-21_968.jpg

327392_1553389891742_1745010905_823810_1407338509_o.jpg

Nicely done

Put the front sway bar back on. Then I noticed I'm missing 2 of the bolts for my driver side auto hub, $11.71 for the pair from the dealer and I have to wait til Wednesday or Thursday for them to get here. At least it stopped raining for now..

Put my front carpet and front trim pieces back in after welding a patch in my floor. The combination of spray paint and seam sealer fumes were making driving hard, glad it finally aired out.

Just about finished with the front bumper, or whatever you want to call that mass of tubing and plate... haha. I need a few days off so I can finish the fab, then coat and mount it...

I finally rewired my electric fan so it is activated by switched power. With the return of good weather, its kicking on when parked has become a problem again.

Of course this is all just temporary, since I am going to completely redo the electrical layout of my cooling fan.

I recovered the trim panels on the headliner. Here’s the problem, headliner trim with falling vinyl.

0506121842a.jpg

I went to a local fabric store looking for a vinyl that would match the original. No luck. So I settled for a color and texture that pretty closely matched the dash. I removed the trim panels by carefully pulling them off and managed to break some of the plastic anyway. I repaired the broken plastic panel with an MEK (MethylEthylKetone) based adhesive made for plastics. After stripping the old vinyl off, what is left on the panel is the old glue and remains of foam backing from the original vinyl. The plastic panels need to be free of old glue and dirt before re-covering them. I tried different solvents for cleaning the panels without softening the plastic. Purple Power worked best for me. After the plastic panels were clean and dry I placed them on the new vinyl and cut the vinyl larger than the panel.

0506121855.jpg

Following the directions on the can of spray adhesive, I sprayed both the plastic panel and the back of the vinyl. I used 3M #74 'Foam Fast'. The glue is really sticky and sticks to itself instantly. I found this out the hard way (FAIL). This is why I cut the vinyl larger than what was needed to fit the panel; it’s easier to position the vinyl on the panel without having to worry about exactly matching the edges. I used a razor blade to trim vinyl to about 1” overlapping the edge of the panel. Flip the panel over, spray the edge of the back side of the panel with glue and fold vinyl over the edge. I popped the panels back into place. Job done.

0513121636.jpg

Now, what to do about that dirty headliner?

The last of the parts ordered from Rockauto arrived yesterday for the 88, so today we did the timing belt and tensioner and waterpump and the hoses from the PS reservoir to the pump and return line, and cap and rotor. Tomorrow plugs and wires

Finished putting the headers on, put a 90 amp maxima alternator back on instead of the factory 60 amp, put some royal purple in the transfer case and fired it up with open headers!

James

replace broken wheel stud

install strut spacer

rebuild front suspension

install new 33 tire km2

align with 2 camber bolts

replace fuel filter

change the radiator

redo the oil pan gasket

change oil and filter

1 of 2 lower links changed

i'm done.... I hurt everywhere ! :-)

more monday..

Finished putting the headers on, put a 90 amp maxima alternator back on instead of the factory 60 amp, put some royal purple in the transfer case and fired it up with open headers!

James

Sounds good don't it? I had mine out on the town yesterday, scared the hell out of a lot of people and got a lot of cheers. Blips under overpasses and rolling past people are the greatest. :lol:

Needs exhaust baaaaaaddddd.

Sounds good don't it? I had mine out on the town yesterday, scared the hell out of a lot of people and got a lot of cheers. Blips under overpasses and rolling past people are the greatest. :lol:

Needs exhaust baaaaaaddddd.

You were driving it around with open headers? I don't think I would get very far like that around here. I'd have to take the front drive shaft off too, it's blowing right on it.

Now I'm waiting for my Y pipe from David so I can take it down the road.

James

It stays plenty cool down there. I will say that under load it doesn't sound that good, but there's a real sweet spot in the throttle where the tone is smooth and sounds soooo good. Burbling right along, then you an incline and instantly it's obnoxious....

I drove past a few cops too, I wasn't even trying to be quiet and rapping it out a little. Didn't pay any attention.