What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Want to talk about mad, when I replaced the starter on my 87 Hardbody way back it lasted 3 days !! second one lasted 1 week !! both local rebuilt units, 3rd one, made by Beck Arnley was in the truck years later when i traded it in.

Maybe that was a 87 Hardbody thing. My 2WD 87 went through about 4 starters in a 2 month period once. 2 Napas, a Kragen (Oreillys now) and even a OEM Nissan. I ended up getting one from a local Mom N Pop auto store thats lasted until this day (my dad has the truck now) but I cant for the life of me remember the brand.

Here is the damage from starter work yesterday. Lol.

541965_361625627207905_100000814125250_943532_1588908796_n.jpg

580291_361626007207867_100000814125250_943535_1404892335_n.jpg

540620_361625437207924_100000814125250_943531_206154460_n.jpg

Looks like i tried to take a razor to my arm but couldnt quite break skin... :blush02: oh well. today pathy started to idle funny taking off from a stop... like a stumble... MORE problems? are you srs? :(

Here is the damage from starter work yesterday. Lol.

541965_361625627207905_100000814125250_943532_1588908796_n.jpg

580291_361626007207867_100000814125250_943535_1404892335_n.jpg

540620_361625437207924_100000814125250_943531_206154460_n.jpg

Looks like i tried to take a razor to my arm but couldnt quite break skin... :blush02: oh well. today pathy started to idle funny taking off from a stop... like a stumble... MORE problems? are you srs? :(

Man. why you so soft?

I mess my arms up like that every day just mowing the lawn.

Also, tryna wear some gloves?

I hate working with gloves on, they just fill up with little sharp things and do more damage than the big sharp things... but yeah, welcome to auto work. The car gods require blood sacrifice.

We did my starter twice... first one (Carquest) worked fine but made a horrible noise when it disengaged (there was a big chunk of something behind the gear). Second one (also Carquest) is still in it.

James... any chance that trans was running GL-5? Looks like there's a lot of shiny in that oil.

I checked my tire pressure and rear diff fluid, cursed at the undercoat for flaking off the frame already, and found a dead skink (little lizard) in the oil change tray.

I NEVER would have expected or could have seen me working on cars doing stuff like this! Lol. I did my starter by myself

Good job! :beer:

Today I finished wiring in my high-wattage headlight relay harness. They screwed up and sent me a 9007 harness in a 9004 package. Same plugs, different pin outs! Dennis figured it out. Had to swap all three wires around on all three 3-pin connectors. Wasn't too bad once I figured out where the release tabs were to get the terminals out of the plastic housings. Tomorrow I'm going to swap in my new headlight bulbs: 100/55w halogen 9004s. :jig: Stock 9004s are only 65/45w. I'm more excited about the 10w increase on low beam than the high beams... which I expect to be astonishing. 100/80w bulbs are commonly available but the lows are way too bright for the street, not to mention illegal. I searched for a long time to find a domestic source for 100/55w 9004 bulbs. Hopefully they live a while on low beam as I run headlights-on all the time.

Ouch! It dosen't appear that there is too much of that gear left. Any idea how much of it you removed?

Some of the pieces looked like aluminum, I collected them all in a paper towel for later inspection but haven’t gotten back to it.

James... any chance that trans was running GL-5? Looks like there's a lot of shiny in that oil.

When I got the truck it was overfilled (106K) so I'm assuming a dealer did it so it should have been the correct oil. They even put some of the gray silicone that the transfer case is sealed with on the fill plug. I changed it out with amsoil GL4 that I ordered from there site. It wasn't jumping out of gear when I bought the truck and now with 116K and amsoil gear oil it is. Kind of kills my confidence in amsoil. I should have just left the damn thing alone!

Odd, I've never had an issue with manual trannys other than clutch stuff and changing syncro's once. :shrug:

B

My first truck, a ford ranger lost fifth gear one day all of a sudden around 130K. I had to replace a little check ball and a clip that was letting the main shaft move pulling the gear out of engagement. Easy fix because I did it myself but the trans still had to come out and apart.

My next truck 90 model chevrolet, input bearing started humming around 180K so I pulled it and rebuilt it. The synchronizers in this thing were steel with friction material bonded to them and the friction material was coming off so I would have had to pull it for that later anyway.

My brothers 94 Z71 chevy, I changed the input bearing twice and had to replace a part in the shift mechanism that broke while he was acting the fool and jamming gears.

And now my pathfinder with only 116K miles, I give up!

I've seen autos go over 200K without even changing the oil.

So far my titan is still going strong, I'd better shut up though with my new 8000# camper beating on it, it might be next. It's still warantied till 100K though so it will probably make it to 101K and then burn up. The titan has a factory trans temp gauge though so I can keep an eye on it.

End of rant.

James

Edited by JamesRich

well, this would be my third straight day tweeking on the pathy, yesterday i rotated the tires, deleted the overload rubber springs in the rearend, changed the oil, greased the chassis, then proceeded to apply a new fresh coat of mudd. i am utterly amazed at its capabilities now, i had to go back out again this time with a friend in his cherokee. i pulled him out 7 times and he was following me. let me say that again, he was behind me getting stuck after i had just trenched through it with ease. now for some tires and wheels, and a few suspension components. been wearing the fresh paint job like a badge of honor all day today. now im the guy at the street light dripping with earth and grinning while they are sitting in there audi's being jelous.

I've killed a HB 5 speed in the past, can only be blamed on some shaky hardware between the steering wheel and the seat though :shrug:

I started on adding another way to hold fishing rods with my truck.

ca0fb7c3.jpg

Start of an alternative to using the ski rack things on the roof, which I will still use too

And good job Kyle on getting more involved on your own repairs :aok:

All is well now. Step dad freaked out again while watching a movie a lil bit ago.

Edit: btw, I NEVER would have expected or could have seen me working on cars doing stuff like this! Lol. I was and am very proud with myself.

1. Thats sweet

2. Was it bambi?

3. Hey, you surprized me. Guess I gotta pick on somebuddy else now. :(

4. You should be.

5. Why is it that no buddy up dates there real truck page any more? I gotta page through this to see what they've done.

6. Only thing I did today is atf a back up short block with stuck rings. Currently soaking to see if I can break it loose with the crank in it. This one may be to far gone though.

I don't bother with my regular page for maintnance stuff (hell I don't generally even say that here, maby in poho sometimes) and you don't gotta look to hard for a replacement either

I don't bother with my regular page for maintnance stuff (hell I don't generally even say that here, maby in poho sometimes) and you don't gotta look to hard for a replacement either

For the short block or somebuddy to pick on? :lol:

Got both headers on........that drivers side one was a biotch!!!!! The Y pipe won't go on because the other exhaust and Magnaflow is in the way.....guess I get to drive to the muffler shop in the morning with open headers!!!!! Oh, and holy frijoles it's loud with open headers!!!!!