What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Pics!

this is my new re-furbished Sanden SD508 AC Compressor (w/8.4CFM) and adjustable bracket that i will be turning into a air compressor for endless on board air:

102_2711.jpg

102_2709.jpg

Does that Sanden unit have its own oil supply for the compressor? That's the reason the York's are so popular because they don't need oil in the lines for lubrication.

Apparently I miscounted somewhere during the transmission cooler line exchange I did a few weeks ago. I had to add another quart of ATF, but I checked the fluid level probably a dozen times when hot and it is within the notched area now.

I also put some foam tape behind the license plate, it solved most of a very annoying rattling noise. Fixed the rust around the rear washer nozzle and used clear silicone to affix it as well.

Does that Sanden unit have its own oil supply for the compressor? That's the reason the York's are so popular because they don't need oil in the lines for lubrication.

the York used oil for lubrication. thats what makes them so good for air compressors, because most ac compressors use freon to lubricate, not oil.

the Sanden SD508 ac compressors used freon for lubrication, but there's a few things we can do to lubricate the Sanden for use as a air compressor.

1. put a grease nipple on, block the exit port, and fill with grease. lots of people do this. most seem to have good results. some dont.

2. add a air tool oiler on the intake line, and a air/oil seperator on the outake line. or block the exit port (the same way we block the exit port for the grease) so the oil stays inside the compressor where it is needed. this is what i plan to do. (there is no down side to this method of lubrication, except the additonal expense)

3. and the low-tech way- some people manually just pour in a tbsp of oil or so before operation with good results...

originally i was going to go with the York 210, because it was a bit more powerful (10CFM), and because it was oil lubricated. but i realized i didnt really have the space for a York. they are much bigger. the stock ac compressor i have looks to be very similar in size to the Sanden i have. i dont have a lot of space to work with on the TD27T. the Sanden will fit in perfectly below my alternator when i pull my stock ac compressor. (i'm secretly hoping it will even fit inside my stock mounts, it looks that similar in size, but i'm not that hopeful, that would just make things to easy). i'm pretty sure i'll have to fabricate a mount. as you can see, i already have a mount for the Sanden, i just have to make it fit on my engine. cant wait to get started on this project! mounting will be the hard part. once that is done it will be easy to build the rest of the air compressor.

Edited by shasdakota

yesterday i mounted my new stainless steel tail pipe. just a little thing, but i thought it really makes the truck look good:

IMG00017-20111118-1250-1-1.jpg

IMG00019-20111118-1250.jpg

this is what was on there before:

IMG00020-20111118-1252.jpg

i also routed my rear diff breather up into the cab (between the body panels), and i put a fuel filter on the end of it to keep out dust and debri. as it was, the breather was just stuffed inside a pipe at about the same level as the bottom of the fuel tank. i thought it would be really easy to get water inside in its stock location:

IMG00012-20111118-1159.jpg

i also added a small secondary in-line fuel filter before my fuel injection pump because i was missing the small gauze filter that was supposed to be inside. the filter is easier to replace now in this location:

IMG00014-20111118-1200.jpg

Edited by shasdakota

i think technically you have your exhaust tip on upside down, the little drain hole is 'supposed' to be at the bottom :lol: all about personal preference though. Don't forget to extend the breathers on everything else too!

i think technically you have your exhaust tip on upside down, the little drain hole is 'supposed' to be at the bottom :lol: all about personal preference though. Don't forget to extend the breathers on everything else too!

thats funny, i was wondering the same thing. didnt know what that little hole was for...

it will get flipped...

yeah, i'm trying to figure out what i want to do with my other breathers. they are all in the engine bay though, only the rear diff was really low, not sure if the Pathy's are the same. i got some "waterproof" breathers like this:

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/PSC-Vent-Bellow-p-17158.html

but i tried one on my tranny/t-case breather and it created pressure and pushed the fluid out of my dipstick. i wasnt impressed. i'm just glad it didnt get pushed out of a seal, but thats why i tried the tranny first, because of the dip stick. as soon as i got the things in the mail, i didnt understand how they were supposed to work, as they are completely sealed. i didnt understand how they would "breathe". i called the company, and they confirmed that they will somehow breathe even though they are sealed. something about the heat making the waterproof breathers expand. anyways, they obviously do not work (for me at least). i still havent called back to ask whats up...

then i thought about routing the breathers in my engine bay into my air box/snorkel, but i didnt want my truck taking air from the same place the breathers were venting. plus i want to draw air for my air compressor from my air box, and i dont want it taking air from my breathers either.

so now i'm thinkin i may do something similar to what i did for the rear diff breather...

drilled out broken ez out and broken lower intake manifold stud out of the head of my vg33e about to go in. also retapped the hole and put in new stud. ready for assembly now.

Edited by Nefarious

received my 3" ac lift springs friday. I am going to try to get that along with the pan hard drop bracket installed and tbars cranked this week sometime and then ill be getting my 96+ center console soon too and then all i need is some new tires! BL will be later this winter.

I made this

framefix5.jpg

Look like this (the red paint is just to cover it until I get some undercoat)

framefix4.jpg

Now I have to fix this

framefix6.jpg

It's sad to see all the pathys go through the pick a part down here and end up getting crushed with perfect frames, while you guys are fighting these rust problems. It's humid down here but with no salt on the road I have never seen a rusted frame on anything in the scrap yards.

James

Cleaned the squirrel cage on the blower motor of the 88 had a couple of leaves in it that I could here at lows blower speeds, pulled the blower resistor and checked for other leaves and stuff.

Pulled the front bumper on the 94 and replaced the rusted bumper ends, sanded it all down and shot it with flat black, now the grill looked like crap so I pulled it and the side marker lights and hit them with the flat black also left the Nissan emblem off.

DAMN it looks good

Edited by vagabond

Apparently I miscounted somewhere during the transmission cooler line exchange I did a few weeks ago. I had to add another quart of ATF, but I checked the fluid level probably a dozen times when hot and it is within the notched area now.

AHHHH!!! I know exactly what you mean. When I was doing my ATF changes, the fluid level was kicking my ass. I couldnt get a good reading on it. The ATF would be thin above the HOT line, but it would be thicker on the dipstick at the COLD line. I was so damn confused. When I did my fluid change, I know for a fact that 4 quarts came out. I put the old fluid in old ATF bottles. But then the dipstick said that 3.5 quarts was too full. like wtf?? And it said it was too full with those 3.5 quarts for a week. Then all of the sudden it drops down to the ADD line. I didn't think using a dipstick would be that hard