What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Completed the frame rust repair on the passenger side frame rail. Rusted out all the way from the front upper suspension mount to past the front door! I need to rebuild the 2nd passenger side body mount and prep it all for paint before I put it all back together, and rotate the whole mess around so I can work on the drivers side next. I need a new bottle of Argon! Ospho and Hammerite are my bestest buddies these days...

Edited by RJSquirrel

I finally stuck my pathy good!

Boredom and stupidity don't mix. I knew this already but I keep testing the theory.

While hunting it started to rain, and I mean a good one! I finally gave up on it stopping and decided to head in. On my way out I pass an old oil rig location with a big mud hole. I have played in this hole before but never went all the way through to the other side.

Note: old oil rig locations have sticky slimy mud! The pics are blurry I guess because it was raining and starting to get dark.

f6cdb196.jpg

6a8542c6.jpg

e8462046.jpg

Right before coming out the other side there is a deep spot, once the front dipped in that was it. All it would do was spin. I tried tacking it out in third gear to try to clean the grips but it wouldn't even dig itself deeper.

932ebd78.jpg

bca9de3f.jpg

That’s some sticky mud! Even after I winched it out the deep hole and it sat in 2 inches of water it still wouldn't pull it's self out. I discovered this after I respooled the winch cable and save the strap and gloves.

Once I finally got it to where it had traction I was in the middle of a bunch of pine trees with no trail. I made a new trail jumping about ten downed trees on the way. My gear in the back was hitting the roof on a few of them. I must have looked like you northern guy jumping rocks! It would have made a good nissan commercial. Bury it in the mud, winch it out, jump several logs on the way out, drive 5 miles back to camp, then drive 70 miles back home with zero problems.

I was out there by myself, in the rain and it was almost dark. While stretching out the cable I couldn't help thinking about the scene from jurassic park with the jeep. Only difference was I was packing heat! If that little lizard would have come up on me like in the movie, we would have had him for dinner! A Cajun will eat anything at least once.

James

Knocked out the second timing belt since I had purchased him. Thats right, I have put on over 100,000 miles. I replaced the belt, tensioner, water pump, Thermosat, bypass hose, both radiator hoses and the drive belts. I did a full tune up as well with new plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter and PCV valve. Though, it looks like I will need a aftermarket upper radiator hose as the nissan one isnt quite long enough to make me happy(i have a body lift). This week hopefully I will perform a fuel injector flush and a Air Induction service to get rid of any buildup on the runners and valves.

Completed the frame rust repair on the passenger side frame rail. Rusted out all the way from the front upper suspension mount to past the front door! I need to rebuild the 2nd passenger side body mount and prep it all for paint before I put it all back together, and rotate the whole mess around so I can work on the drivers side next. I need a new bottle of Argon! Ospho and Hammerite are my bestest buddies these days...

As you all can see, the rail is completely trashed. It was literally full of rust as I started to open it up. I picked up this Hardbody to be my winter beater, but I didn't realize how beat it was when I got it. Thank goodness it hasn't started snowing here in Chicago yet. The passenger rail was completely rotted out from the upper suspension mount all the way to past the door. I had to cut out the rust on the side of the frame, and on the bottom where it had rusted out. The entire side and much of the bottom is new between the suspension mount and body mount. Beyond that, I cut out old frame rust until it was about even with the center of the holes on the sides of the rails. The last photos show it treated with Ospho so it won't rust until I can get more Argon and grinding wheels, and get back at it next weekend. I put 20+' of bead down. I bought a 4x4' sheet of 1/8" sheet. I had to recreate large portions of the frame. I'd say the repair is about 6' long from start to finish. I was able to cut out all the rust and get to solid steel, but every once in a while I'd hit a thin or weak spot and blow holes where only a 1/4" away things are solid. Chalk it up to bad technique, but even as I was getting the feel of everthing, I don't think it was all operator error. I could see up into the bottom of the rail to make sure I wasn't just welding into rust, so the corrosion/contamination is within the steel itself. It really does give credence to the assertions that frames on 95s are garbage metal. As you all can see, I'm not a master welder, not by a long shot. I got a lot better from the start of this project to the end. I compensated for my lack of welding skill with lots of time on the grinder, grinding the welds flush to anneal the metal, and to locate any areas with poor fusion, so they can be ground out and rewelded. All the patches are butt welding into place. Fitting the pieces into place was tedious to the point of being maddening. If any of you all attempt a project like this, all I can say is that tightly fitted and properly prepared (clean, and beveled) joints greatly increase your success in getting complete fusion. Thank goodness I have a 220V Mig welder, a plasma cutter, lots of clamps, lots of grinding wheels, an anvil and several BFHs. The work you see is about 7 full days of work time, mostly on patch fabrication, and weld grinding. There is still much work to do before its ready for paint.

Added Photos:

Before:

IMG_1198.jpg

After much cutting and welding and grinding:

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

After much more grinding, and cutting out and rewelding areas with incomplete fusion. It needs more work on the bottom of the rail still, but I am out of Argon and grinding wheels... I wonder if Airgas has a cyber monday deal?

IMG_1203.jpg

IMG_1204.jpg

Holy crap that thing looks like it was sitting in a field. I've never seen that part of the frame rusted before. Mine was just at the back. The front you can still see the oem paint under the rustproofing. That thing looks like it was never rust proofed.

Changed engine oil & power steering fluid.

Out: Advance Auto Parts 5W-30 & Fram ExtraGuard PH7317 put in @ 128,072 (crap that AAMCO put in, in use for 1503 miles - the Fram was irritating me)

In: Mobil 1 0W-40 & Mobil 1 Extended Performance M1-110 @ 129,575 miles

PSF was replaced with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF.

I was gonna grease the driveshaft too but the zerk was pointing upwards.

Edited by Towncivilian

After 2 weeks of working on rust she runs again. I have 1 little spot up near the body mount by the drivers door. Then I need to tighten up the gas tank and do a little rework to my bumper. Then it's off to get inspected. I know what it looks like under the flares. It's not too bad there are a couple spots on the body that I need to fix. But I'm gonna wait to see what Santa brings. There may be a lift kit coming my way.

Edited by jwmyers23

Got mad at her cuz the inner fender (the thing keeping water from flying off the wheels into the engine bay) decided to break and fall in on itself. Currently it just sit ontop the tire and makes noise while driving....soo much noise...Duct Tape it temporarily tomorrow...

Oh and i did this flex on this curb by my house. it was a hill like thing. got high enough for a back wheel to come off the ground and spin. to bad it was 8 and my phone doesnt take pictures in the dark...

Plan an going back to that curb tomorrow. :) PICTURES IS A PROMISE.

876df6aa-7161-421b-b4fd-7519e86cd456.jpg

That looks good! I am debating on a different grill for mine. I have the 87 grill thats on it that I finally found a nissan emblem for, a chrome grill and clearance lights from my parts truck, and a 95 grill that needs a paint job. I don't think the chrome will look good with my black bumper but I'm undecided between leaving the 87 or painting the 95.

James

Don't paint the bling! if I find a chrome 87-89 grille and actually 'buy' painted 90-95 (I know theres plenty of those out there) I will have a full house of wd21 grills, the d21 grill selection needs a few too. Nothin like having options :lol: