Official Us Gas Prices Thread

88pathoffroad

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Aaron pointed out, some people don't really have a choice whether to take the bus or not. Their vehicle is their livelihood. I do service work as well and I'm in the car going from site to site all day. I've always been reimbursed for mileage and currently have a company vehicle, but most service industry personnel (especially if self employed) need larger vehicles to carry their gear around.* What really sucks is that the price of every other commodity is directly affected by fuel costs. You're not only paying for it at the pump, it's costing you more across the board.

*BTW, as mentioned before, some people are required by their type of employment to operate their work vehicle all day without a passenger yet their tax money goes to provide HOV lanes for commuters. I believe that practice is unconstitutional and HOV lanes should be paid for solely by those who are in a position to use them every day. $.02

Last night I saw one of the local plumbers (one of those with 4 or 5 trucks around town) had a brand new minivan with company colors. Had pipes on the roof rack and everything! Unusual for here (usually in big-A trucks) but I bet he gets the last laugh.

"public transportation" Great idea, except that some people do not have that option because they have to carry equipment and supplies that I just can't see being alowed on a bus or commuter train ;)

smoke you "supplies" before hand my man. ;):D

I filled up at $2.89/gallon over here in Jersey, about 5 miles from Philly... :)

problem is that the savings to me are eaten up by bridge tolls to get there and back :)

I'm another one who has to use their vehicle for work. I use my Pathfinders to do it, though I really need a full size gas guzzling truck or van with the amount of tools I should be carrying all the time. As it is now, I have to swap in the tools I need for that particular days work. I'll continue to pay the price, whatever it is.

Cheap place I've always filled up at finally went to $3.03 today, first time this round hitting 3 bones a gallon at that place, it's now officially starting to piss me the hell off.

Edited by navygz19

I just filled up at 4.07 here in Wrangell, AK! You know what else is ******, in the winter most homes up here use oil heat for their furnaces (which run radiant heat and water heaters)... fuel oil is nearly $3 a gallon. It takes approximatly 500 gallons to heat a 2000sq ft home up here for 3 winter months... My hotel @25k sq feet uses a little bit over 1000gallons a month of fuel oil in the winter time...try having that for a heating bill :)

Edited by 87pathmaker

Price went up to record highs just down the road in Kamloops on Friday, to $1.289 per liter. They are forecasting $1.40/l gas here this summer, thats about $5.20 CDN per US gallon.

BTW, there were up to 5 hour line ups at the Peace Arch border crossing for people going from Canada to Washington State (its a holiday up here this weekend), lots of us Canucks going shopping down south and saving tons of money. One guy on the news said he saves $40 per fill on gas, he goes 3 times a week.

And they just keep on going up. This weekend's wheeling trip will probably be my last for a little while...I went through 2 and a half tanks of gas, at $3.00 a gallon

its going up at a rate of .5 a week here in fort collins, CO. last i checked it was around 3.40-3.23. Im justa glad that i dont pay for gas at work. I work for a large carpet cleaning company and we have to ge gas at the end of every day. Yesterday i only drove about 120 miles and it cost the company about $55 to filler up.

Exactly. I've been reading threads on Fark.com about gas prices, the general outcry is:

Buy a better car!

Drive less!

Live closer to work!

Ride a bike to work, school, the store, etc!

Get solar panels!

WTMF. Sure, if I made $40K a year. There are way too many people in my position to allow any of those things to work. Maybe I should save my bucks and just fix the $100 Impulse I bought three years ago and swap engines on it so it runs and drives, then drive it into the ground. It should get 25 MPG or so.

As mentioned above, I am also one who cannot use a smaller vehicle or bike to get my job done. Truth be told I should be using a larger one, like a full sized van.

My average month cost per gallon in the last 6 months

11/06 - $2.385

12/06 - $2.536

01/07 - $2.510

02/07 - $2.439

03/07 - $2.715

04/07 - $3.063

05/07 - $3.382 (as of last fill up 05/18)

I can go even further back too.

I commute to and from work every day. my round trip is 125 miles a day. and like Csutke said the average price of gas is like 3.22-3.50 or something like that. I drive my wifes honda which has gotten around 27-29mpg so thank goodness for that. My work truck is a 2004 full size chevy 3/4 ton with the 6.0. Last week I filled it up and it cost me 105.00 US. I nearly Sharted. I am presently looking for another job in case any of you were wondering why in the hell I am still commuting. Oh I should say it cost the company 105.00. Hence the reason why they quit letting me take the truck home every day. I recently told them I was quitting unless they let me keep my truck to commute with and they said they would let me take it home 2 to 3 times a week so things have gotten better to some extent, it still sucks though.

Edited by zonianbrat