What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

I finally got off my ass and started pulling the trans to change the pilot bushing. Of course I broke a few bolts dropping the exhaust so now I will have to put headers. I'm sure I will break a few studs in the heads too taking of the manifolds so I probably opened a nice fat can of worms!

Headers should do wonders for this motor look at how small the factory pipe is.

8ae1ff89.jpg

And a teaser for you guys that had to pull a starter on a auto trans truck. I pulled the two starter bolts, unplugged the oil sending unit, removed a small bolt holding the battery cable to the oil pan and the whole thing came out the front without removing the battery cable or any steering parts. Maybe 5 minutes. :D

ee37ca21.jpg

James

oh @!*%!! that's awesome. That stuff is like $6 a gallon, right?

Anyway, here's my video. My explaining how to do, removing the spark plug, and installing it, all in under 6 minutes.

Not to burst your bubble, but a 4x4 Hardbody basically has a 1 inch body lift built in. Thats why its easier for you than a Pathy. Ask any Pathy with any sort of body lift, plug 6 is a piece of cake.

Not to burst your bubble, but a 4x4 Hardbody basically has a 1 inch body lift built in. Thats why its easier for you than a Pathy. Ask any Pathy with any sort of body lift, plug 6 is a piece of cake.

I don't think the 1 inch body lift is true.

Why would it being farther away make it easier? That's more distance to line up.

oh @!*%!! that's awesome. That stuff is like $6 a gallon, right?

5.95 a gallon here in the armpit of the south... But it CERTAINLY increases power band... Once I do the oil catch can mod I will probably run a mixture of that ratio for some time... to help clean out the junky junk...

Yesterday thinking it was spring, I pulled out the sand bags from the back that I use for winter ballast.

Today it's snowing....I put them back in. :laugh:

Yes... it has been 80+ degree's here... and we finally changed our uni's for short sleeves... woo hoo.

Scored a driver door(in the right color even!!).....while looking for blinkers, found a really cool grill from an 87 two door!!!!! will edit in a little while with pics of the grill...oh, and I got the blinkers, too!!!

Cool. There was a very cool (aftermarket?) grille available that housed 6 inch driving lights... thought I saw a picture some time back...

Found it... our very own ahardbody....

30136ma.jpg

Edited by tmoore4512

Higher octane fuel alone won't clean anything out. Instead of running >87 octane fuel which your engine can't take advance timing far enough to take advantage of, buy a bottle of Techron or Redline SI-1 and dump that in the tank.

painted and Installed my 35$ junkyard hitch. and painted my rear bumper and plastics on it. :) tomorrow im pulling the mirrors and painting them, possibly the grill and maybe the front bumper! ( they will all get done within this week. )

Edited by Kyle94

And a teaser for you guys that had to pull a starter on a auto trans truck. I pulled the two starter bolts, unplugged the oil sending unit, removed a small bolt holding the battery cable to the oil pan and the whole thing came out the front without removing the battery cable or any steering parts. Maybe 5 minutes. :D

:mellow: Are you a wizard? More to the point, can you do a write-up on that? Mine took a couple hours each time.

Why would it being farther away make it easier? That's more distance to line up.

Imagine if that seam above your hand was 1" lower. Right where your knuckles are. The manifold to plug distance is the same, and you probably don't even notice the 1" difference in height, except that the firewall's in the way.

I don't think the 1 inch body lift is true.

Technically I think its 1.5. Yes, your body sits higher than a stock Pathy.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you say farther away. That seam/pinch molding with the indent in it (which is there to help get the plug out) is lower (closer to the engine/manifold) on non body lifted Pathy's which is why it can be a pain in the ass.

:mellow: Are you a wizard? More to the point, can you do a write-up on that? Mine took a couple hours each time.

I think there is a writeup on the starter removal, I know that's the way I pull them

Edited by vagabond

Washed her this morning, then decided it was time to take off the step bars. Then took out my broken turn signal and am currently waiting for the bondo to dry to reattach the signal. I hope it holds. Cleaned out the truck and reorganized the tool box, good day.

I finished yanking the trans out, that is one big chunk of iron! :blink: I've pulled transmissions out of half ton trucks that weren't that big. With only 116K I'm sure its the factory clutch, it said nissan on it, but it looked brand new and clean. I never pulled a clutch that was that clean. Pilot bearing was bone dry but the input shaft wasn't galled at all. Now that I have the trans out sitting on the side of the truck it's supposed to storm really bad for the next few days so it looks like I'm done for now.

Both my trans mount and motor mounts are good. I was hoping one of them was bad letting the trans move and popping it out of third gear. Since it's out I may pull the case off and see if I can find anything wrong inside. Between that and the broken bolts in the exhaust, it will be a while before she is rolling again. :thumbsdown:

James

I finished yanking the trans out, that is one big chunk of iron! :blink: I've pulled transmissions out of half ton trucks that weren't that big. With only 116K I'm sure its the factory clutch, it said nissan on it, but it looked brand new and clean. I never pulled a clutch that was that clean. Pilot bearing was bone dry but the input shaft wasn't galled at all. Now that I have the trans out sitting on the side of the truck it's supposed to storm really bad for the next few days so it looks like I'm done for now.

Both my trans mount and motor mounts are good. I was hoping one of them was bad letting the trans move and popping it out of third gear. Since it's out I may pull the case off and see if I can find anything wrong inside. Between that and the broken bolts in the exhaust, it will be a while before she is rolling again. :thumbsdown:

James

Hey, I'm looking at the weather and we are supposed to get 6-8" up here on the north side....we don't need it....I know you guys down there really don't need it...stay afloat my friend, stay afloat!!!

Time to buy a DUKW! in all seriousness good luck and stay dry.

I took off the pointless kayak racks I put on Saturday as I might have them sold (and have no use for them anyway).

Time to buy a DUKW! in all seriousness good luck and stay dry.

I took off the pointless kayak racks I put on Saturday as I might have them sold (and have no use for them anyway).

I might need the kayak u didnt have to go in those racks!!! LOL

Went to school and wiped it down with wet paper towels and dry ones so water marks weren't a problem. Windexed the windows (not the widsheild). Wetn'blacked the tires so they were cleaner then drove to my HS to chill with some old friends.

So yesterday I wiped it down with wet paper towels and dried it. Then attempted some turtle wax on the exterior. Only did the hood, two fenders, and driver's door.

Wiped it down again. This time using micro fiber clothes. Clean up the boot.

Wiped it down after the rain.

Cleaned her.

Damn. you be cleaning your truck like erryday.

Today I was talking with my friends dad about my exhaust puffing and spark plugs. He asked if I had aluminum heads and told me to put ant-seize on the spark plugs instantly. "Next time you go to pull those spark plugs out, you'll pull the threads out with them". Probably not, but it's good insurance. He also told me that since the truck is so old and the electrical system is already kinda "tired", I should gap the plugs at .028 instead of .032-.035 (or closer to .036 in my case). Runs so much better now.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I did today. Finally, landscaping is starting up again. I can stop being so destitute.

Went and got gas. Got pissed because tbars and torque arms are shot making the tires rub over every little bump. Took out anger on steering wheel. When i got home i ordered new torque arms. Going to jyd tomorow to get a (new) steering wheel. Think i might order new tbars too.

Hey, I'm looking at the weather and we are supposed to get 6-8" up here on the north side....we don't need it....I know you guys down there really don't need it...stay afloat my friend, stay afloat!!!

It looks like we got the edge of the storm, As of last night I hadn't seen any rain yet just lots of wind. Up to 50 mph gust. It looks like y'all getting all the fun from this one. Good luck and try to stay dry!

This weather is probably my fault! My dad gave me his old camper to put at my hunting lease, but it needs some repairs before I bring it out there. As long as it sits in my driveway the weather is going to try and tear it up. I need to get it out of here!

James

Lots of free time, Very weird weather, and a trunk load of cleaning products makes for a very dangerous combination. LoL

Plus its nice to be the only clean car after a rain. When there are no "real" placed to wheel in Queens and you park in a lot full of Lexes Benzes and a few Porches here and there, a clean truck is all I can have. LoL.

Today I was talking with my friends dad about my exhaust puffing and spark plugs. He asked if I had aluminum heads and told me to put ant-seize on the spark plugs instantly. "Next time you go to pull those spark plugs out, you'll pull the threads out with them". Probably not, but it's good insurance. He also told me that since the truck is so old and the electrical system is already kinda "tired", I should gap the plugs at .028 instead of .032-.035 (or closer to .036 in my case). Runs so much better now.

Anyway, that's pretty much what I did today. Finally, landscaping is starting up again. I can stop being so destitute.

You know what works better is replacing the plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor. Then you won't have a "tired" ignition system. It's maintenance.