What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Didn't have much time to work on it today. Pulled the spark plugs (not looking forward to putting #6 back in). Pulled the cam shaft pulleys and theres no leaking. Also replaced the bypass hose that goes above the thermostat. That was a major pain in the ass...I had to cut the old one off as it was largely adhered, and the new one didn't want to go on easy. Was going to try the boil trick but was short on time, turns out if you lube up the pipes and fold it in half it pops on pretty easy.

Thinking I'm going to go out in a few minutes to put the rear timing belt cover and cam shaft pulleys back on. Tomorrow after work I want to get the timing belt back on. Damned if working on it for an hour or two at a time doesn't make this take forever.

Question: When others have reinstalled the harmonic balancer did you use a harmonic balancer installation tool or just shove the new one on and tighten the crankshaft bolt? I know the risks of thread damage but curious what others have done. :friday:

I *gently* slid the balancer on, threaded the bolt in by hand as far as I could, and then I torqued it to spec. Worked for me.

Sorry, meant to say one of the holes lines up but I still would put a second screw in if I had to extend the cross bars.

Okay...makes sense. I had to trim mine down about half an inch to get them to fit, but it appears that swapping the middle mount would put the rack out quite a bit more...I would be curious to know how it measures out...

Today, had alignment done, went to junkyard picked up some rear window moldings, a grab handle (to replace the one I stole from my PF to use in my sentra) and a lego wheel to use as my spare, 2 junkyards and it was the only wheel I found and it was already off the truck good thing as all I brought in with me was a small screwdriver.

Junkyard lego wheel and bald tire after cleaning, wheel is slightly white as the Purple power made it look dull:

15xl2xv.jpg

2eoei4k.jpg

Not too bad for $20 with the tax and core charge !!

Edited by ahardb0dy

Ha, a Lemans A/T. I always laugh when I see one of those, they just pop up. And why yes, I made that run, if you dont believe me theres an old video of me doing it, I'm the dude in the black hat with the handle bars.

Edited by nismothunder

ahardb0dy - Did you check on a price at the dealer for the moldings? If so, was it ridiculous? I don't have any junkyards close with Pathfinders (a good thing, and kind of a bad thing at the same time...) I also need a top front window molding.

I installed speakers in the rear roof (6.5") yesterday. Took it skiing today. Tried to install new speakers in the front doors and found the speakers are too deep and hit the window (I checked it - I didn't find out by accident). :)

I also took it to the car wash and realized at a horrible time that the doors no longer seal at the top. (Yes - I got a wash too.)

No, I didn't look up new moldings, they are not that important to me I just saw the molding that goes around the rear side windows was longer than what is on my PF so I bought them, I guess they tend to shrink over time and get shorter. I bought the molding that is shaped like an "L", nice thing was the old molding I took out had the same end as the top piece so I cut the old ones to fit the top and now there are no gaps.

For your speakers easiest thing to do would be to make a spacer out of wood, or buy a pair to put between your speakers and the door, the door panel should still fit over the speakers fine. What speakers did you try to put in the door anyway?

I haven't done this in a long time but it worked today, on the way home from the junkyard I called Discount Tire to see what they would charge me to take the bald tire off the wheel I just bought, kid told me $20 !! I said ok, thanks and hung up!! So I took the tire and laid it under the front of my PF in front of the pass. wheel, placed my nice new F-550 bottle jack on top of the tire near the edge of the wheel, pumped the jack up until the top was under the frame just forward of the idler arm and jacked it up until it popped the tire off the bead of the wheel, flipped it over and did the other side, 1,2,3, no problem. Than using a couple pry bars was able to get the tire off the wheel.

nice, no more Le mans tire LOL:

kd6gjm.jpg

Is the number stamped inside the wheel the date it was made? Mine has some Japanese figures and than says something like 91.18.10?

Edited by ahardb0dy

Nice!!, I've seen worse, my wife's friend told me her explorer was loosing brake fluid so I had her bring it by so I could check it out, pulled the tire and found the brake pads wore so much they fell completely out and she had started to grind down the caliper as she continued to drive the truck for a few days before calling me!!1

Yeah, you don't need rear brakes anyway not like our PF's are race cars or anything !!

When I bled my brakes after doing my front pads, I never got any fluid out of a rear caliper. Reminds me I should check that out sometime.

Edited by Trogdor636

Thats what my driver side looked like, my passager side was oddly new looking. When it heated up it would weld it self too the rotor at the strangest moments. Made for interesting driving habits.

Yes, thats probly the date for when the wheel was forged. 10-18-91. My way to decoding the japanes words is to go to google translater and type dirty words until I get one that looks like the casting.

Same here. In fact, I was unaware of an "installation" tool.

Cool thanks guys. While doing some research prior to starting the job i read it was recommended to use an instalation tool, which really just looks like an extra large bolt with a big thick washer and nut ( which sounds a bit dirty in retrospect), to avoid potentially damaging the threads. I figure ill just lube up the shaft a bit and slide er on. Tee hee.

Anyway I didnt accomplish anything today as my boss gave me fourth row tickets to the canucks game. I did fet the tbelt installed yesterday though.

Nice!!, I've seen worse, my wife's friend told me her explorer was loosing brake fluid so I had her bring it by so I could check it out, pulled the tire and found the brake pads wore so much they fell completely out and she had started to grind down the caliper as she continued to drive the truck for a few days before calling me!!1

That is just plain scary.