What do you always have with you?

NismoSkyZ

you actually have to have something to attach the hi-lift to otherwise it's pretty impossible to use w/o tearing up something bad.

I have used my high lift several times on my pathy already, I have not used it for trail recovery but i change my tires between my bfg's and swampers quite a bit, I use my 2 front tow hooks(i put a 2nd pathfinder tow hood on the drivers side. and I use my tube rear bumper for the rear has caused no damage and is much faster then using my floor jack or bottle jacks to do it. You can also use a highlift for several other things such as a come along, stretching tool, or to pull back out a bent in fender and so on, I can not list all the uses because a highlift can be used for all kinds of stuff.

Edited by BoneZ

• 1 month later...

HMMMM SURVIVAL GEAR. Besides the usual tools and wire and belts

first aid kit. (including dora and wiggles band aids) for the kids

water.

gps,

mobile phone.

x 2 mag lights.

fire extingisher.

lighter x 2

uhf. x 3 ( x1 mounted x 2 handheld) good to keep in contact with kids,

1x newspaper. (yep. good for starting fires, easy to pack, and something to read.)

crap paper,

full recovery kit. (winch all straps and shackles)

jack. no high lift...... a steel plate 30cm a 30cm for jacking on sand.

axe. hammer, rope, a couple of tent pegs, small tarp,

the list is endless.

and on a lighter side of it. dual screen dvd player.

so yeh i do know all the dora the exporer movies, and the wiggles backwards.

keeps the kids of youre back while im trying to dig the pathy out of a bog hole.

I'm thinkin a chain saw....took my daughter up some mountain roads today just wide enough for the truck and had just told her would be good idea to have a chainsaw along, as we had seen quite a few places where trees had been cut that had been over the road, when we came around a curve and sure enough it was blocked lol! So yeah, a chainsaw hehe!

• 1 month later...

I keep a basic handtool kit,a few tie straps and at least 1qt of each essential variety of "Vehicle blood" in an old M36 musette bag,and have since i got my frontier back in 2005. i also keep a wire coat hangar,A guitar string (High E),a set of jumper cables,a 15x15 tarp,a 500 foot spool of 550,and a flint in my car.

I haven't begun building an offroad kit yet,i'm ashamed to admit.

Energy & sugar boosting non-perishable food (Chocolate, trail mix etc)

Methods of retaining body heat and still be able to move/work/fix/dig (thick wool socks, woollen jersey, wool hat, wool mittens, maybe an entire woollen jumpsuit. Must be real wool though, NZ wool is best.)

Isopropyl alcohol/disinfectant for general protection from the bacteria/sickness

Caffeine pills for alertness

Hemp fiber & knife (101 uses)

Edited by joshellis

• 1 month later...

I usually carry a whole pile of tools (wrenches, ratchets, hammer, screwdrivers, pliers, clamps...) tow strap, recovery strap, ROPE, shovel with serrated edge, jumper cables, flashlight...

Nothing major, I don't get out on the trails too much, just parks and other organized areas.... :\

• 2 months later...

I'd like to add to this topic as well...

Recovery strap

Shovel

Umbrella

Fire extinguisher

Spare key

Map book

LED Worklight

Tire patch kits

12V tire inflation stuff

Battery jumper stuff (I should charge that stuff again)

12V power inverter

bungee straps

Work gloves

Jumper cable

And a long screwdriver to adjust my headlight aiming...

In the winter, I also pack a dozen bottles of water and some food (beef jerky, etc) so that in case I'm stuck, I won't go hungry. I also have a couple of hoodies, clean clothes, and lighter. I guess I'm a very paranoid about all kind of things, but I'd like to play it safe in case I slide into the ditch with no one in sight.

When I go wheeling, I carry some tools as well just in case

Edited by dududuckling

I'd like to add to this topic as well...

Recovery strap

Shovel

Umbrella

Fire extinguisher

Spare key

Map book

LED Worklight

Tire patch kits

12V tire inflation stuff

Battery jumper stuff (I should charge that stuff again)

12V power inverter

bungee straps

Work gloves

Jumper cable

And a long screwdriver to adjust my headlight aiming...

In the winter, I also pack a dozen bottles of water and some food (beef jerky, etc) so that in case I'm stuck, I won't go hungry. I also have a couple of hoodies, clean clothes, and lighter. I guess I'm a very paranoid about all kind of things, but I'd like to play it safe in case I slide into the ditch with no one in sight.

When I go wheeling, I carry some tools as well just in case

dudu u live in the heart of bramptom where the hell could iu get stranded and not be with in 50 feet of a big mac haha

Hahahhaa... Markham, Ontario... not Brampton

I live right in the city and I can pretty much drive without headlight at night because it is just so bright. In the winter, I can be one of those guys who fall off the ditch in 407 (yep, I've seen it before) and I can start snacking while waiting for the tow truck, hahaha...

I have used my high lift several times on my pathy already, I have not used it for trail recovery but i change my tires between my bfg's and swampers quite a bit, I use my 2 front tow hooks(i put a 2nd pathfinder tow hood on the drivers side. and I use my tube rear bumper for the rear has caused no damage and is much faster then using my floor jack or bottle jacks to do it. You can also use a highlift for several other things such as a come along, stretching tool, or to pull back out a bent in fender and so on, I can not list all the uses because a highlift can be used for all kinds of stuff.

I also added one of these to my kit since vehicles don't have bumpers any more.

Hi-Lift wheel adapter

I agree the HL is versatile and can do a lot of different tasks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I suppose you all covered pretty much everything, my comealong and stout rope are perhaps my favorite things that I carry with me at all times, although I don't get to use them as much as I would like.

This thread is a good lesson for all drivers not just wheelers, because I am always amazed by how unprepared some people can be in their cars. My first car was an 87 IROC that was constantly getting stuck in snow, mud, big puddles, etc, as well as mechanically letting me down, and I quickly learned the importance of a kit that every single driver on the road should carry with them at all times.

Good flashlight

Appropriate clothing for the weather

Necessary fluids for the vehicle

A jack and spare tire changing tools

Basic tool set incl. ratchet and sockets

A baseball bat (for defense)

Cell phone

Multi-tool with sharp knife

Spare key

Plus any area-specific necessities (ie tire chains, extra H20 for overheating, etc)

My girl drives a Mazda 323 and I make sure she is well stocked for emergencies, even tho she never leaves the pavement.

Its a good idea, tell your 2wd friends.

Dave (and anyone else), I have a gallon of distilled water for the radiator in each vehicle which can always quench your thirst as well. Just make sure it has a stout resealable lid, you don't want it spilling in your tote box like mine did...

B

• 2 months later...

^^^I've added that...

Food(I figure I can only live off of bark for so long)

Cell phone(good for playing games and stuff while driving)

4 way(good for beating the bear thats trying to steal your bark and beer)

Anti-freeze(to refill rad and poision the bear that stole your beer)

Hat(for keeping the rain/sun kinda off you)

Boots(who has ever walked throught mud in DC-skater shoes...no fun is it.Also for kicking the ass of the bear that stole your beer and bark)

Charcoal(for making weapons to get medevil on that bears ass)

Camara(for taking picture...)

Jack bottle or highlift(helps for getting unstuck,and if you tye a rope around it,they can be used as a retrieveable weapon)

rope(see above)

Beer(why would you need this other stuff if you didnt have this in the first place)

Common sense of what you can get through in your truck...

• 3 weeks later...

here's what I carry. my bag is always in the truck or with me if I go somewhere. it's a redhead hydration pack with plenty of flashlights, matches in a water proof container some rope a hatchet and a misc. first aid kit.O and a few knives.i usualy carry some power bars and snacks.and yes the coffee can has a sealed bag of coffee lol never know when you will need em. O a tackle box and fishing rods :cheetos:

As for the pathy i have a 60" hi lift with winch attachment and straps chain anything else i need.

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/Picture001.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/Picture003.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/Picture004.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/Picture003-1.jpg

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae245/95xcabsilverado/Picture005.jpg

Edited by Daves94XE

My Truck Nessecities :

- 2 Screwdrivers (Phillips and Flathead)

- 2 Tow-ropes

- Spare Tire

- Fire Starter (Lighter)

- Emergency Beer (6 pack minimum)

- Plastic Bong (Can't break it off-wheeling)

- 4 L jug of water for the bong

- 24 case of gatorade (you always need to keep hydrated)

- Kitchen Scissors

- Chicken Noodle Soup