-spare shirt/shorts

-brake fluid

-power steering fluid

-fire extinguisher

-cell phone charger

-a pipe (sometimes)

-Beer (sometimes)

-S&W .38 special snub nose (sometimes)

And that explains why only 3 people are in my pathy at the most, you can never be over prepared; I don't know how many times my buddies have had to ask me for stuff on the trail.

• 1 month later...

Everyday stuff:

Gum

Coffee change

Water (usually have a flat of it in my truck)

Shammy's

Meguire's ultra shine!

some tire shine

Some rags..

Extra belts

Socket set

Duct tape (Aka Gods gift to man)

Box Cutter with extra blades

Hatchet

ball peen hammer.

Oil

ATF

Liquid wrench( my trucks from Ontario so this is pretty much a must have)

Wd40

some rope

Pliers

Extra smokes.

My wheeling usually means going camping So.

Rooftop bag with:

Sleeping bag

Pillow

camp stove

Food (Regular and Mre's)

Then we get into the back:

Beer

Kool-Aid mix

Fishing Rods.

Tacklebox

First aid kit

Shovels

a bucket

Toilet paper (3 rolls)

High vis Vest

Flagging tape

lighter fluid

Lots more just cant think of them

Fun fact. those fishing rod holders with the foam that you stick the rods into can also hold a medium sized axe farely well..(just put a bungee on it just incase) and you can toss it on your roof. the same for a regular sized shovel. I bought another set of roof racks at a garage sale for like bucks and put the rod holders on them!!

• 2 months later...

I ain't got much.. two bottles of gear oil, brake fluid, antifreeze, oil, extra timing belt, fuses, rags, 21 led work light, 1/2 inch drive socket set, 3/8 inch drive socket set, standard wrenches, mectric wrenches, 1/2 inch breaker bar, claw hammer, rubber mallet, zip ties(small and large), lock tight, gasket former, small electric kit, 25 foot 3inch wide tow strap, ratchet strap, flash light, electrical tape(x2), jacket, bottle jack, skinning knife, jumper cables, tire repair kit, tire pressure gauge, extra set of spark plugs....well thats all I can think of for now gunna go through my pathy tomorrow and make sure I didn't miss anything. :crossedwires: went through my R50 and i didn't miss anything so we all good

Edited by 1996pathfinder

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh man....

Flares

First aid kit

Fire extinguisher

MRE's

Spare belts(alt and PS)

An extra blanket

Gallon of water

3-D cell Mag light

Signalling mirror

Fire starter(magnesium/flint type)

Jumper cables

Shorty shovel

Air compressor or C02 tank

Tire plug/flat repair kit

Ratchet straps

Oil, antifreeze and trans fluid

Belt dressing

WD-40

Clean rags

Leather gloves

ROLL OF TP

Lots of recovery stuff, 3" tow strap, 2" tow strap, couple of tree straps, shackles, clevises, a half-ton comealong, etc

100' of 1/4" yellow rope

20' of 3/8" yellow rope

Bolts, washers, tape, wire, tie rod ends, the list goes on.

The back end is packed. Heh.

NOW THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH.TIS BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.I AM AN AVID SURVIVALIST AND YOUR LIST IS RIGHT ON.THANKS JACK

My Springfield Armory XDM 3.8 .40cal

af3bbbf2.jpg

yOU GOT THAT RIGHT.BETTER TO HAVE IT AND NOT NEED IT THAN TO NEED IT AND NOT HAVE IT.ALWAYS MAKES ME SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT.SIGNED JACK aZzO

Haven't seen these mentioned but:

• Magnetic Pickup tool (This has come in very handy when working on the nissan in the garage so why not have it whilst on the tail too)
  • Small mirror (Same as above)
  • Degreaser
  • Anti Seize
  • Arc Welding kit (Refer to
    )
  • Service Manual (Mentioned before but it doesn't hurt)
  • Bolt Cutters
  • Bolt extractors
  • File
  • Sandpaper
  • Magnetic tray (To keep all those bolts you may remove in ONE place)

• 1 month later...

I add a couple of 2" x 8" x 36" planks to wedge under the tires in the snow or sand for traction when stuck, and a couple of short 4" x 4" pieces that I have used with my barrel jack when I have been hung up on the frame.....

To add onto my dad, we carry:

• Ice chest with drinks and 2-3 days worth of food.
  • Camelbaks with 3 liters of water each and some basic survival tools (poncho, lighter, first aid kit, etc).
  • Change of clothes, including shoes.
  • Heavy duty jumper cables leftover from our diesel f250.
  • 2 Shovels.
  • 2 Crowbars (large and small).
  • 3 .50 Cal ammo cans to store tools.
  • Socket sets, complete (in 3/8 drive and 1/2).
  • Channel Locks.
  • Vice Grips.
  • Full roll of electrical tape.
  • 2-3 rolls of duct tape.
  • Power drill and drill bits.
  • Power inverter and shop light.
  • 3 gallons of radiator fluid.
  • 3 quarts of 10w-40.
  • One quart of PS fluid.
  • One quart of brake fluid.
  • One quart of autotrans fluid.
  • Whatever is left in the wiper fluid container.
  • Previously mentioned boards.
  • Metal loading ramps.

Edited by 92Path_68CJ

• 4 months later...

As odd as it sounds I keep a spare of every belt, gaskets, a spare oil pan (if for some reason I get hung up on something and jerk it around and rip a hole in my oil pan) more than enough oil, coolant, clutch fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid, all my tools including jacks, jack stands, 20' 12-ton tow strap, fix a flat, replacement trail lights, carb cleaner, all filters. The list goes on, I have about 600lbs of equipment kept in my pathfinder at all times wether I'm wheeling or driving to the store, you never know when something will go wrong and I'm prepared to fix it.

I haven't done any off roading with my pathfinder yet, but in my old hardbody, besides the required equipment you needed to go out on the 4x4 part of the beach back in NY (jack, jack board, tow strap, air source, shovel, first aid kit) all I carried was a screw driver and a pair of channelocks.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I generally carry far too much crap but the essentials that are always there are:

5 litres of water (MINIMUM), 25 litres if over-nighting

Small tool kit with multi-meter

Snatch strap

Long (wooden) handled shovel

Swag (got to sleep somewhere, may as well be in comfort!)

SatPhone, handheld UHF (handhelds are great in case something happens to your vehicle mounted ones)

Metal lock box with flint striker for lighting fires, foil emergency blanket, cotton wool, hand chainsaw, chargers for everything I've got that's batt powered, and a heap of other assorted stuff and usually a can of baked beans or some noodles as backup food supply.

I'm sure there is a lot more but I can't think of it all right now.. But all the above lives in the car FULL TIME. The swag is used daily for work and I add the extra 20 litres of water if I'm actually going out of town. (But hey I live in a desert so 25 litres is bugger all!)

When I was in the UK with my Frontera I used to carry a plastic crate with 5 ration pack meals (including deserts) in it, tea, UHT milk, gas burner & 2 gas bottles, billy can & 5 litres of water (min). Someone asked why once... a few days later an entire motorway got shut-down due to the snow, people were freezing and being rescued by the cops.. as for me I was nowhere near it but if I was I would've just boiled up the billy, had a cuppa, had a hot meal, and waited.. no stress!

Pays to be prepared for everything ALL the time in my book..

I should probably also add that I've got many of the other things listed here, things like binoculars etc live in the 4wd all the time. I don't carry lots of spares (usually one set of belts is there and a bit of oil) for the 4wd because I keep everything in tip-top shape so I shouldn't have any problems.

Edited by Sim
  • Like 1

Pays to be prepared for everything ALL the time in my book..

you weren't fellow boy scout by chance :P

my kit is simular execpt i can run my bbq from the cars lpg tank not strictly legal but very handy if u run out of bbq gas

for extended trip generaly i go by this http://tinyurl.com/c52axqx

Edited by fman
  • Like 1

you weren't fellow boy scout by chance :P

my kit is simular execpt i can run my bbq from the cars lpg tank not strictly legal but very handy if u run out of bbq gas

for extended trip generaly i go by this http://tinyurl.com/c52axqx

Actually no, I wasn't a boy scout, but I believe in being prepared as I was raised in the bush..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Among other things, I never go off road, or anywhere for that matter without a trauma kit. Injuries large or small can become tragedies quickly when far from medical help. Even a first aid kit is better than being stranded with nothing at all. I personally am a registered EMT but believe EVERYONE should at the very minimum keep a current First Aid card or better yet first responder training or OEC. I would hope you never need to use this training but if the situation ever occurs you will be glad you have it and so will the individual you are helping, to possibly save their life.

IMG_8506_zps9e1b0560.jpg

• 3 months later...

i kept my old timing belt and all the old drive belts

i also bring a large pipe wrench(incase there is a bolt too larger for the wrenches i brought)

extra valve stems

assorted bolts and nuts

tierods

cv half shaft

hand tools

i kept my old timing belt and all the old drive belts

i also bring a large pipe wrench(incase there is a bolt too larger for the wrenches i brought)

extra valve stems

assorted bolts and nuts

tierods

cv half shaft

hand tools

• 2 weeks later...

Dog's top axle and echo, twin brother's and stryder on bottom, he is the first registered imo inu dog in the world. We have the certificate to prove it...very cool dog.

IMAG0136_zpse1d5c9c8.jpgIMAG0129_zps2eb5a431.jpg

Stitches care of the coyote I killed says stryder....

Edited by Nissanland

• 1 month later...

I locked a shovel to the roof rack. Inside I have an SUV jack, breaker bar with socket, back pack with water/snacks/sweats/long sleeve shirt/shoes. Jumper box, small box with basic tools like screw drivers, 2 adjustable wrenches, some wire, a wrench set, claw hammer.

After watching a show last night called Dude, you're screwed,, I am going to add 50' of parachute cord around the handle of my shovel. That stuff comes in handy in an emergency.

I keep stuff like this in the truck because I always use the Pathfinder to actually find paths. I go through our National forests and turn the wheel and go off off road, just crashing through the palm trees for an hour or so. I just plan for that one day when something bad happens. Something will break and I will need supplies to hike out of there with.