Tranny life poll

Precise1

How many miles on your tranny please.  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles on your tranny please.

• No cooler, repairs before 100k (automagic)
    • No cooler, repairs before 150k (automagic)
    • No cooler, repairs before 200k (automagic)
    • No cooler, 50k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler 100k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler, 150k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler, 200k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 50k+, below 100k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 100k+, below 150k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 150k+, below 200k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 200k+, below 250k (automagic, still works fine)
    • My name is Aaron and I don't count...
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 100k
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 150k
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 200k

Well, thats about as inteligently as I can break it down right now. Please vote and feel free to post caviots, it may flavor the empirical data... Thanks ! :beer:

I had to throw in the MT as a control group... sssh

B

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

since i can't cast multiple votes i'll also tell you but i voted in regards to the AT i once had since the cooler is really only an issue with autotragics.

the AT went kaputt just a tick below 100k. that was on an 89 and it was pretty much a complete rebuilt since the insides fused/welded together when it went. the external cooler was added and then not one hickup at 175k when the truck RIP.

the MT on the 94 works just dandy at 113k. can't recall if the previous owners ever replaced the clutch or not but it seems just great. it does get a little warm there in the middle when hard mtn. 4wheeling all day though. may eventually look into a cooler mod for that tranny too.

history on mine:

105k: tranny splined out the output shaft, destroying the planetary gears and killing my tcase with it too. luckily, after calling in some favors, it was only $2100 to rebuild both the tranny and tcase.

after that i put in the biggest tranny cooler i could find, its half the size of my radiator and meant for rv's and such with 26,000lb gross vehicle weight, more than x5 my loaded weight!

IMG_4480.jpg

With all those options, you'd think you had them all covered, ehh?

200K+ on MT with ORIGINAL clutch!

For the purpose of the pole, I'll enter it as 200K...

MT with 152K miles now, and I had to replace the clutch at about 143K or so I think. Not too bad for a daily driven truck, often in traffic, and also wheeled with holding and starting on hills and such.

I feel sorry for you auto guys. I can't imagine driving one of these beastly things with a dumbed down autotragic. :o

no problems with my MT.. changed fried clutch ( due to RMS leakage accelerating death) at 129,000... possibly original clutch.... have yet to change tranny fluid (i know i know.. it's top of my list!) and she's smooth as a kitten........ bout the only thing that hasn't given me any grief .......... yet :huh: oh yeah... at 138,000 now.....

My AT crapped out at about 65k miles or so but luckily nissan rebuilt it and it was covered under my warranty from the bank (saved me $1300!). I'm now at about 86k miles and am putting a tranny cooler from summit on this weekend that is for a 20k lb gvw vehicle! I think I'll be ok after that! sly

Edited by Electrifyliak

Hmmm.....where do I start? 5 Speed......

Okay....around 150k tranny had to be replaced due to a D'oh! on my part putting GL-5 fluid in the tranny before I knew better. I'm SMRT!!!!

Had a Jap import tranny put in, with a new clutch plate and throwout bearing last May....flywheel was resurfaced.

2 days ago, my Pressure plate failed on me.......it's still at the dealership, as when they took it apart, they found that a spring had broken on the clutch plate (approx 1 year old) and that due to that, the plate was sitting a little crooked, so the throwout bearing is being replaced as well...mostly as a preventative measure.

Precise1....there was no proper option in your poll to suit my situation....could you please revise, and be a little more specific? :P

To my knowledge my 88 is at over 200k on it's original auto tranny with stock cooler. The radiator was replaced about 30k ago (by previous owner) so I'm not concerned about it yet.

For the vote I voted from my 93 which is at about 130k on it's AT with an external cooler added about 10k ago.

Everytime I see a Pathy with an AT in the junkyard I think about grabbing it just to take home and rebuild, so I'm not stuck if one of mine decides to go.

my name is not aaron, but i dont count anymore either.

manual trans, bought the truck with 60,xxx first of my set of clutches went in at 90, 100, 120, 145, 160...speedo stopped working and ive ggone thru 3 or so since then....

i guess i did sort of count

Are there no R50 people in here with 150k plus on their Pathy's?

Is the tranny on a 98 same as the one in an 01 (VQ engine)?

Yes, there are....several in fact.

No, the VG tranny is different from the VQ tranny.

To answer the poll, there isnt an option for me.

I added a Hayden 24" cooler 2 months after I bought the truck at 34,000 miles. I flush the fluid religiously and use synthetic fluid every 30,000 miles, and I don't experience any of the typical hard shifting, any slipping, or any problems at all, at 115k.

Nissan transmissions can be very reliable if you take proper care of them, and don't drive your truck like it's a racecar *cough* Max *cough* Wheelman *cough*. P...

Nissan transmissions can be very reliable if you take proper care of them, and don't drive your truck like it's a racecar *cough* Max *cough* Wheelman *cough*. 

i dont drive it like race car but i do ride my clutch like crazy

I have 123,000 miles on a AT. I just added two tranny coolers, one on each side of the radiator support, each is rated for 18,000 GVW. So far do good, but its only been 3,000 miles. :D

My 02 has about 97,000 km. Added the cooler at about 80,000. Serviced the trannie when I bought the truck, 61,000 km (sorry, to lazy to convert to miles :P ), will be due for a complete service at 100,000 km and will go the vengeful route with synthetic.

Only issue I have had as been that in winter the cooler is TOO efficient, not allowing the fluid to get to proper operating temp. The fluid would just sort of foam and cause weird shifts.

Solution was to include the stock cooler in the loop, now it shifts much better (also have a winter front as well).

Is it just me or does there seem to be lots of activity on the board recently about trannies and coolers? Of course, it is starting to get hotter out!

M/T was exhibiting the bearing whine when i bought it @ 156k. Swapped with a Jap Import shop trans (prolly 50-75k on it) and new clutch about 50k ago plus filled it to the proper level per Nissan's TSB and haven't had any issues.

Allright, B. I need you to edit the choices to include that scenario too. :D

Precise1....there was no proper option in your poll to suit my situation....could you please revise, and be a little more specific?

Some peoples children !! :D

Allright, B. I need you to edit the choices to include that scenario too

And their friends... :P

Well, no real trends jump out yet, but I think with more votes we could pick up on generalities. If there isn't an exact scenario, just pick the closest !! Sheesh !! ;)

B

Mt problems? more like autotragic problems. seriously - manual trans nissans last forever. my first post shouldnt really be included in anyones decision making because i drive like I do. my wd which i drive regularly, like a normal human being is on the original clutch over 100k. No other problems to speak of.