Tranny life poll

Precise1

How many miles on your tranny please.  

71 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles on your tranny please.

• No cooler, repairs before 100k (automagic)
    • No cooler, repairs before 150k (automagic)
    • No cooler, repairs before 200k (automagic)
    • No cooler, 50k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler 100k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler, 150k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • No cooler, 200k+ (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 50k+, below 100k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 100k+, below 150k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 150k+, below 200k (automagic, still works fine)
    • Added cooler @ 200k+, below 250k (automagic, still works fine)
    • My name is Aaron and I don't count...
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 100k
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 150k
    • MT, no problems but changed clutch before 200k

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trainman.,

I though the R50's did not have the need for the Tranny Cooler. Just the earlier models. Am I mistaken?

The local trannie shop says they see an unusually high rate of Nissan AT issues, regardless of model. They said an external cooler would not hurt, especially if the truck is worked hard.

Also, were I live, we have very steep, high speed highways that are a killer on cooling systems and AT's, especially for those who do not take them out of OD to go up the hills (8% and 110 kph). As well, our climate can reach 40 Celsius in the shade (but also -40 in winter :o , hence my issues with the AT running too cold).

Hope this helps you understand why I put in the external cooler (and no, the trannie shop that I talked to did not get the work and they knew that up front when I talked to them about it, so I trust their info).

With all those options, you'd think you had them all covered, ehh?

200K+ on MT with ORIGINAL clutch!

For the purpose of the pole, I'll enter it as 200K...

Ditto...

As far as I know the original owner never replaced the clutch. at about 280K the steel holding on one of the springs busted and forced me to replace it. I bought the entire ser (clutch/Pressure plate/bearing) and replaced it all.

Looking at the condition of the original parts they were on their way out.. so it "may" have been possible that they were original.. but again, I do not know for sure :shrug:

The local trannie shop says they see an unusually high rate of Nissan AT issues, regardless of model. They said an external cooler would not hurt, especially if the truck is worked hard.

Also, were I live, we have very steep, high speed highways that are a killer on cooling systems and AT's, especially for those who do not take them out of OD to go up the hills (8% and 110 kph). As well, our climate can reach 40 Celsius in the shade (but also -40 in winter :o , hence my issues with the AT running too cold).

Hope this helps you understand why I put in the external cooler (and no, the trannie shop that I talked to did not get the work and they knew that up front when I talked to them about it, so I trust their info).

I believe another thing that is hard on tranny's is TRAFFIC and we have lots of that in NYC, but like you mentioned it gets very cold here also so am thinking about putting the cooler right before the radiator as so it's not TO efficient.

The paperwork shows that the tranny was swapped out at 190k ish on my 91... hence teh engine swap vs just doing the heads...

Now the Tranny and the newer motor will be closer on the actual milage....

200 000 kms towing a boat for around 70 000. No cooler, no problems, never changed the fluid. if it ain't broke, don't fix it :shrug:

I'm with JJ on this one. Bought a second Pathy from Edmonton, drove it around in the city, but wasn't able to get through all the gears due to inner city driving. After Purchasing the Piece of Crap, I hit the Highway shift into 5th and WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Ohhhh thats a bad bearing.... Sooooo I drive 1 to 4 and leave 5th alone in hopes to keep it from exploding underload.... Hasn't blown on me yet and I'm trying to turn around and sell it again myself hahaha Paid 3k for it. If anyone wants a Pathy for 2k send me a PM haha.

Dowser

GREAT, now Im scared that my torque converter is gonna crap out on me. I get a little hesitation when I press the gas lightly and I feel the car jump laittle like its popping into gear. Thats not good.

What do you care Yukon traitor! :lol:

GREAT, now Im scared that my torque converter is gonna crap out on me. I get a little hesitation when I press the gas lightly and I feel the car jump laittle like its popping into gear. Thats not good.

bye bye!

if you wonder why stop driving like u do asshat! thats why. just gotta take good care of your ride (like dont follow my lead ever)

Edited by max_stryker

Guest BOB P

94 PATHY with auto tranny with no cooler at 146k. I live in very big mountains here and the pathy runs great. No, I don't downshift or take it out of overdrive when going up steep hills.....some hills around here are like 3 mile climbs.....hey if it gotta shift down , I just let it do it's thing. Maybe I'm living for danger by doing it that way , but I figure the tranny wants to shift when it wants to shift....thats why they call it automatic, no ? I don't abuse my pathy, treat it like a baby. Bought it used....it was hauling a boat by the previous owner till 135 k.

I run KHUMO tires on it stock size.....smoothest riide/running 4x4 Ive ever owned....23 mpg on these hills and open roads.

Enjoy......BOB in NW PA

23 mpg on these hills and open roads.

DAMN !!! Never heard of that !! Is the speedo accurate ? Yes, quite good vehicles for the price, eh ??

B

Guest BOB P

Yeppp, speedo is correct. I travel from my home in nw Pa , to my dad's place near Pgh, Pa.....so I know the milage is correct. My last trip down there was a few weeks ago,,,,,I got 22.5 mpg ......this was up/ down hills etc.....I'm tickled about the gas milage , really.

I fiill the gas tank up till the auto shutoff on the gas pump clicks off...... press the mile jobberdo....travel the given miles.....fill tank up till gas pump clicks again ......divide my miles traveled by gallons used.

This is with new spark plugs.....new tires ( KHOMO )at 35 psi....

BOB

Guest EDMONTON PATHFINDER

94 4dr Pathy. M/T Prev owner, cousin-inlaw replaced origional clutch @ 202000 Km

or 125000 miles. Old clutch still had a bit of life, bought bigger tires and changed the clutch over just in case.

My name is not Aaron, but I don't fit into any of those groups either.

You need a whole new category for people that did install tranny coolers, but that still had transmission problems. I'm beginning to think that the automatic transmissions on these usnits just stunk.

I installed a tranny cooler at 95,000 miles and at 111,000 miles the Torque Converter was stripped. After a shabby repair and a rapid fluid evacuation, my Tranny burnt up.

My life sucks -alcohol-

My name is not Aaron, but I don't fit into any of those groups either.

You need a whole new category for people that did install tranny coolers, but that still had transmission problems. I'm beginning to think that the automatic transmissions on these usnits just stunk.

I installed a tranny cooler at 95,000 miles and at 111,000 miles the Torque Converter was stripped. After a shabby repair and a rapid fluid evacuation, my Tranny burnt up.

My life sucks -alcohol-

I think you right in a lot of ways and that's what prompted me to inquire about this whole Pathfinder tranny thing. I'm so reluctant to dump money into this newly aquired 95 with 100,000 miles because of the wide spread AT problem. I just dropped $350 on timing belt parts which I couldn't believe the water pump was $100.

I also think trying to figure out if your tranny is going to last depends on how you drive and what climate you drive in, am only assuming living in a region like Arizona may give you a shorter tranny life because of the prolonged hot conditions. I also think living in NYC or LA with stop and go traffic can be a tranny killer.

I was going to just start with a tranny flush but after reading your post I wonder if that's a smart idea. I will say my tranny seems fine on level pavement but going up steep hills the truck struggles and "once" it slipped when I really laid into the gas pedal to climb the hill so now I don't "gun it" going up hills.

I really love this truck but don't have a lot of confidence in the tranny and don't see myself spending $2000 on a tranny.