What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

'drifting'

You can't drift an FF. That is the first rule. Also, in a parking lot, it's not drifting, it's sliding donuts. I hate how people call that drift, now.

Anyway, my mom's car's transmission is out, and local (to her) mechanics are saying it'll cost 5 grand to repair it. It's a Saturn Ion transmission, so I know they're lying. I'm considering dragging her car out behind the Pathfinder, and replacing the tranny with one from an Ion in a yard. I mean, that should be $150 for the tranny, if I know the local yards, and I could swap it out in a day. But mostly, I just want to tow something with Sammy lol

notice the quotes. " 'drifting' "

Don't fskc with FF transmissions. The headache of the job is worse than it's worth.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Drove around in the 12+ inches of snow on where im at. these goodyear duratracs are absolutely BEAST in the snow and ice. even on really icy slippery roads and very steep hills it has great stopping power. the house im staying at is on a very steep hill and only my pathy and a hummer can make it up so i got a tow strap yesterday to pull cars up. hahaha. so much fun! i might try and get these things studded as well and see how much better it is. they do follow ruts a bit as they are 12.5 wide but really they are very controllable even at speeds. great tires!!

notice the quotes. " 'drifting' "

Don't fskc with FF transmissions. The headache of the job is worse than it's worth.

Don't discredit me, I've done all sorts of work on dad's SL. I probably honestly have more experience working on FFs than FRs.

In any case, disconnect the CVs, undo linkages and connections, unbolt the motor mounts, pull the motorset, disconnect the original tranny, bolt up the new tranny, reinstall motorset, reinstall linkages, CVs, fluids. It's actually less involved than pulling a RWD tranny if you don't have a proper lift.

Anyway, I took Sammy airborne today. Totally worth it.

That cause on S-series it takes like 40 minuts too pull a tranny.

Those cars are too easy to take apart, I swear. The Ion's badly designed, yeah, but how bad can it be right? Worst case scenario, we have to load it back on the trailer and take it to the (much cheaper than mom got quoted) local transmission guys.

Anyway, I finally got Sammy registered and titled under my name :D

changed fuel filter, got the replacement headlight switch in the mail today and installed it. I have high beams! Thanks NPORA for your great advice and technical know-how.

changed my oil and added lucas.hopefully no more dry start ill see how that works out

Why are you getting dry starts? Adding Lucas just thickens up the oil and dilutes its additive pack, perhaps it makes the residual oil film cling better to top-end components but it doesn't help it flow any faster when the engine is cold and the oil is thicker than it would be at operating temperature. In California it's basically a moot point, but if you were in a place with harsh winters I would suggest not to run Lucas.

The oil filter has more of a part in eliminating dry starts than your choice of oil. The oil filter has an anti-drainback valve which is made from either nitrile or silicone. Nitrile can become hard and brittle after extended use and heat, and some filters' ADBVs do not seal too well in the first place. Which oil filter are you running?

Why are you getting dry starts? Adding Lucas just thickens up the oil and dilutes its additive pack, perhaps it makes the residual oil film cling better to top-end components but it doesn't help it flow any faster when the engine is cold and the oil is thicker than it would be at operating temperature. In California it's basically a moot point, but if you were in a place with harsh winters I would suggest not to run Lucas.

The oil filter has more of a part in eliminating dry starts than your choice of oil. The oil filter has an anti-drainback valve which is made from either nitrile or silicone. Nitrile can become hard and brittle after extended use and heat, and some filters' ADBVs do not seal too well in the first place. Which oil filter are you running?

not sure why im getting dry starts but in the am and after work or whenever it sits for a little while my lifters or valves tick/clack for like 5 seconds. and im running a fram the orange one, when i bought the pathy it came with 2 spares and some extra oil . but i hope it clings to the top end so i can see if it will work

Fram filter is your first problem, Lucas is your second. On cold starts and cold weather thinner oil gets pumped up to the lifters faster. Some VGs just clatter no matter what.

yeah i know fram filters suck but its what i had and didnt want to go to town. so what aftermarket filter is good, are champ lab filters? but i kinda figured vgs clatter cause my 2 door does it some times

STP does the samething as lucas and its $2.50 vs $7

Mod motors dont like Fram but VG's seem to like them just fine. A Motorcraft or Wix are the best choice though for people that run extended oil changes but if your doing 3k it doesnt matter one bit.

Fram gets a lot of bad rap though but when you think about it there on average, its just that they offer 3 or 4 diffrent levels of filtration (tough guard up to double sausage wrap guard?) while many others only offer one high end filter.

NAPA Gold (which is made by Wix), Purolator, Bosch, Fram XtendedGuard (these are tanks and can go 10k+ OCIs), ... maybe I'm forgetting one or two. Motorcraft FL822 fits on R50s but I don't if any model will fit WD21s.

If you must run Fram for convenience sake, upgrade to the ToughGuard which has a silicone anti-drainback valve which might help. And if you must run an oil additive, run STP since that actually has some sort of useful additives (I believe ZDDP) and will still thicken the oil up by one grade (generally). Or just run one grade thicker engine oil. But I think if you run a decent filter and 5W-30 your dry start problem will either diminish greatly or go away.

I don't have too much of a problem with Fram, just they're horrendous value for what you pay for them. They have lousy construction and lack filtering media compared to say, a Purolator Classic which is generally the same price or cheaper at parts stores. Motorcraft filters are manufactured by Purolator to Ford's specifications, so they are excellently built as well.

Edited by Towncivilian

I had a problem where mine was taking too long for the oil pressure to come up. I was running a napa gold filter...I switched to the cheapest one I could find (fram orange can of death) and surprisingly the problem went away. Either I had a defective filter or they limit flow I don't know. Now I use either oem or purolator. This is not my opinion, I am just sharing my experience.

Edited by adamzan

I had a problem where mine was taking too long for the oil pressure to come up. I was running a napa gold filter...I switched to the cheapest one I could find (fram orange can of death) and surprisingly the problem went away. Either I had a defective filter or they limit flow I don't know. Now I use either oem or purolator. This is not my opinion, I am just sharing my experience.

I would venture a guess that your lack of oil flow is due to more filtering taking place. It's the same thing as an air filter. The more it filters, the less air flow you get. Less crap getting into your engine...but less power for your engine.

Today I put anther $15 into the tank. This is the 3rd day in a row. I'm not even driving it that much

i put new wiper blades on, filled it with gas, added a can of seafoam, checked gas mileage.. got 16mpg this tank, just around town and short trips like takin the kids to school and such.. (no complaints considering we have the winter ethanol blend crap)

going to play in the snow with it today too muuaha (yes i'll get a pic or 3)

Raced my buddy, Matt's, tC. Won. Discovered massive brake fade, synchros too worn to downshift while hard braking, had to cut across 3 lanes and the crosswalk so I'd stop before the intersection.

I've been having to use my air conditioner, what do you guys mean, "snow"?

Raced my buddy, Matt's, tC. Won. Discovered massive brake fade, synchros too worn to downshift while hard braking, had to cut across 3 lanes and the crosswalk so I'd stop before the intersection.

I've been having to use my air conditioner, what do you guys mean, "snow"?

your posts get more amusing by the day. Congrats on the win though. That's all that matters. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Did I tell you when I was racing that Yaris that my friend couldn't stop in time and got airborne (all 4 wheels) over a curb but then the last wheel got snagged? It was quite a sight. That bent rim of his is going to be a dream. BUT he won. You can't be afraid of breaking yo @!*% if you wanna win.

Edited by 1994SEV6