What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Looked at my JGC springs... looked at the rain.... decided a smaller project is in order.... so... Pulled the front leathers and sewed up the large rips in the driver seat and threw on some seat covers. all the seats look nice now! and the rips were so bad in the driver seat its actually more comfortable now.... lol sigh I really want to find some nice clean black leather heated seats....

removed the skid plate on the gas tank. The front two bolts were easy as could be. The back two bolts had a death grip. OMG..gave myself insane blisters getting those off.

Anyway, got the skid plate off...SOOO much gunk. Brake cleaner is the best invention ever. I don't know why they don't sell this @!*% on TV. If they used brake cleaner in their commercials, then the product would actually do what they say.

Lol. you took off your skidplate to brake clean your gas tank? now that is devotion! closest u will see me in there is with the end nozzle of the local gas station pressure washer :P i tip my hat to you good sir. lol

Messed around with the keys the last owner gave me. Interesting findings.

There's 1 OEM ignition-style key, 2 walmart-cut 37R keys, and an OEM door lock/glovebox key. One of the walmart keys matches the OEM key, and the other is an oddball. The glovebox key is also oddball, for obvious reasons. But here's where it gets weird.

The oddball walmart key opens the front door locks, the glovebox, and cycles the ignition tumbler. But it doesn't unlock the rear window. Same for the glovebox key (except ignition of course). The other 2 keys don't do anything BUT unlock the rear window. I don't get it. I have all these keys and only one is at all useful. The one that looks like it'd be is basically useless, for that matter.

Anyway, I'm thinking of installing another 12V socket in the Pathfinder, simply because I have a socket from an old Altima. I'm thinking next to the A/C controls. Anything behind them I should know about before I start punching holes?

Probably a lot of wires etc... pull it out and check before you start making holes.

I'd be inclined to put one in the back. It's not like you need two up front, right? Put a hole in the back of the center console (or inside it) and hook it up in there.

Go to a JY and pull all the locks and ignition out of a truck there that still has the keys (they usually leave them in the ignition). Make sure one key works for all, swap into yours, problem solved.

Probably a lot of wires etc... pull it out and check before you start making holes.

I'd be inclined to put one in the back. It's not like you need two up front, right? Put a hole in the back of the center console (or inside it) and hook it up in there.

The frequency at which I have people in the back is minimal. Besides, I need a second port, so I can keep my phone's battery charged, while using my FM transmitter to listen to music because I'm too cheap to buy a radio with an input jack lol

And yeah, I'm probably gonna pull the dash before I do anything, just to be sure. Thought I'd ask anyway.

Go to a JY and pull all the locks and ignition out of a truck there that still has the keys (they usually leave them in the ignition). Make sure one key works for all, swap into yours, problem solved.

Eh, no problem, really. The key I use works for everything but the rear window, and there's a lock switch in the cockpit for that. Not that I open the rear window, since its struts are out. In any case, there's a stark lack of keys still in ignition at the yards here, let alone 1990-93 Pathfinders with keys still in ignition. And I can't afford to buy all those locks, anyway. I'm cheap and poor lol

The frequency at which I have people in the back is minimal. Besides, I need a second port, so I can keep my phone's battery charged, while using my FM transmitter to listen to music because I'm too cheap to buy a radio with an input jack lol

And yeah, I'm probably gonna pull the dash before I do anything, just to be sure. Thought I'd ask anyway.

Eh, no problem, really. The key I use works for everything but the rear window, and there's a lock switch in the cockpit for that. Not that I open the rear window, since its struts are out. In any case, there's a stark lack of keys still in ignition at the yards here, let alone 1990-93 Pathfinders with keys still in ignition. And I can't afford to buy all those locks, anyway. I'm cheap and poor lol

By a 12v socket, you mean a power outlet? That's the best idea. I need another one too. It's not so much that I need two, but the one right next to the heater controls is the WORST place ever. I bought a dual USB plug thing for $3 off Amazon (which has worked amazingly), and the only thing I use it for are to charge phones and ipods. The cords dangle right over my shifters. That and when I go to change the radio, the cords and the plug are in the way. I wouldn't call it a bad design, but it sure sucks. I suppose I could easily relocate the whole socket, but then I would have a hole where the socket was. What could I put in that hole?

I'm not trying to convince you, but an aftermarket radio, a really decent one, with an AUX jack will run you like $45. Luckily, my truck came with one. Unluckily, I've managed to blow half my speakers.

Nefarious, I like to tinker a lot. Most of the time I take stuff off that I have no business messing with. I think Adamzan had a tiny pinhole in his gas tank, therefore he was smelling gas. His problem sounded exactly like mine. For the hell of it I wanted to pop off the skid plate and see if there was any residue or anything. I only used brake cleaner on the skid plate. My gas tank had this factory protectant type stuff. It almost looks like grime, but it's there on purpose. It's sprayed randomly on my truck. Half the frame has this stuff, the other half has paint, half of my bed has it, my front wheelwells have it, and I think half of the bottom of my cab has it.

Some guy parked next to me and took an interest in what I was doing with my trans. He handed my a brand new bottle of brake cleaner and paper towels cause he was cool I guess. Then I needed it.

My agenda today consisted of finally getting the last little bit of nasty old gear oil out and putting the new Redline in. Boy, that stuff is pretty slick. It almost looks clear/pink and has a funny smell. But then when I looked in my trans, it was dark dark red. I haven't noticed a significant change in my shifting, but I'm sure the fluid is for the better. I windex'd my windows. I feel bad for owning my truck for 7 months now and never have washed it.

Or Alkorahil can get you a new set based on your VIN. Its spendy, but new locks and ignition cylinders are a very nice addition. All the locks can be replaced in an afternoon, but you will need to drill out the security bolts on the ignition switch.

Productive day!! installed JGC springs for a 3" inch lift (at least) over where i was at. Cranked up tbars to match... Tracked down the broken fuse and got my power mirrors/rear wiper working again. Figured out why my keyless entry was acting up over bumps... hood button was being pushed in and out when the hood bounced and made the lights flash when i hit bumps *DUH*. Fixed the button...

All I got left to do is install all my new front end parts and get an alignment and i will have run out of things to fix.... guess it's time to plan more mods. :D Panhard drop bracket, limiting straps in the rear and low profile bump stops here I come...

By a 12v socket, you mean a power outlet? That's the best idea. I need another one too. It's not so much that I need two, but the one right next to the heater controls is the WORST place ever. I bought a dual USB plug thing for $3 off Amazon (which has worked amazingly), and the only thing I use it for are to charge phones and ipods. The cords dangle right over my shifters. That and when I go to change the radio, the cords and the plug are in the way. I wouldn't call it a bad design, but it sure sucks. I suppose I could easily relocate the whole socket, but then I would have a hole where the socket was. What could I put in that hole?

I'm not trying to convince you, but an aftermarket radio, a really decent one, with an AUX jack will run you like $45. Luckily, my truck came with one. Unluckily, I've managed to blow half my speakers.

I windex'd my windows.

Yeah, a 12V power outlet. I hesitate to say cigarette lighter, because the one I have has a plastic plug that says "12V DC" instead of a cigarette lighter to plug into it. All the same, really. Anyway, you have a '94, so you have the updated interior, and I can't much help you out there, but I do know it's typically not hard to add a plug. No reason to relocate, really. Just add a second one, then you maintain functionality across the board. Use the new one, for convenience, and you don't have to worry about a hole to be plugged. Also, should it ever come up, you have 2 sockets. Buying a new socket is like $5 at Walmart, or if you're a sneaky bad person, free at a salvage yard. Just pull it out of the console, slip it in your pocket, walk out. If you decide to pay for it(and you should), can't cost you more than $3. Some yard owners will just say they don't care, especially if you're buying a lot of other things. (This is how I procured the socket I have at the moment)

Anyway, to wire it in, run a wire to 12V Ignition or Accessory switched, with an inline 10A fuse, and the other wire to any good ground, and you're set. Drill a hole in whatever you want it mounted to, and push it into place. Maybe use some sort of adhesive. That's my plan.

I had an aftermarket head unit from the S12, so I put that in there. Plenty better than the Clarion unit that was in there when I bought it, which is better than the factory radio. I have the FM transmitter, and the radio and I'm satisfied for now. Before I get a new head unit, I plan on bypassing the factory amps, and adding some subwoofers for the hell of it. (That is, if I can get this one guy's 12inch Pioneers he's selling for $25 apiece)

You shouldn't use Windex on car windows. Windex contains chemical solvents, which degrade the temperlite material on automotive windows. Grandma windexed the Saturn windows, and screwed 'em up. Use an automotive-safe cleaner for that. Soap and water to get grime, then, like RainX to shine it. That's what I do. More expensive, but it makes sure my windows stay nice for a long time.

Anyway, I nearly spun out the Pathfinder today. It's been raining all day, for the first time in awhile, so the roads are slick. I've been driving the Saturn a lot, previous to this, so I'm used to how FWDs handle in rain. So I'm coming to a redlight and I always downshift and engine brake when I stop, it's a habit. Unfortunately, I was coming on it too fast to revmatch first. So I feathered the clutch to force a match. It's rougher, but it always works in the Saturn. And then the rear wheels locked because the difference in engine speed and rear wheel speed was greater than traction could account for. And I start spinning. Of course, I caught it, but man I feel stupid for forgetting that. So I drove home in 4H the rest of the way. Definitely felt a lot more stable.

What's the 4H torque-split on these trucks, or at least, where can I find that?

i never had a hole in my gas tank

:Raises Hand:

That was probably me he is thinking about. I had (still have? That putty seems to be holding up for now) a thread about it not long ago.

Edited by Trogdor636

Finally got around to replacing the PS pump on the 88, changed the coolant and added distilled water to top it off. Had the 90amp alt tested today and it checked out good,so that's next on the 88. The JY hood is almost ready to install,I thought it was cherry when I grabbed it on first, but after getting it home found a few spots that needed work.

got a lot done today... replaced inner/outer tie rods, idler arm, centerlink. aligned it as best i can for now, its within 1/16th of an inch though for toe anyways.

also did some exhaust work... cut out a rough section with a really nasty 90 bend and flare out to 3" pipe, just befoer the tailpipe. i used it because it was all i had when i fabbed the exhaust system(leftovers from old garbage custom dual exhaust system).

now its a nice smooth 2.5 inch new pipe all the way back with a nice smooth 90 bend for the side exit in front of the rear wheels.

also moved the pipe forward a little (bout an inch) in case my tires pick up a lot of sticky mud so it wont touch the pipe. i extended the tailpipe just a little longer as well changed the angle so it points slightly towards the rear, as the exhaust was drafting forward when i was idling... i think because my tires stick out so much it causes a draft spot ? anyways now it seems to blow out and back, much better anyways.

just need to figure out my uneven rear JGC lift spring issue, patch a little more floor rust and fix my ebrake cable (make some drop brackets with a junkyard cable), and this pathy wont have a single issue. will be nice!! took some work though after all the years of abuse!!!! haha

Failed to take get it to move, trying to cut across a small tract of land in my neighborhood, where an electrical transmission tower chain goes through. No traction on any wheel in wet grass. I did get it to back up, though, that was good. Ended up slinging mud everywhere, taking the normal route back home.

I swear, never a dull moment in these trucks.