What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

No, with the engine off the pedal is rock hard (after remaining vacuum is depleted after a few pedal presses of course). How do I adjust the rear drums? Do I follow BR-31? That's what the FSM suggests to do on BR-28.

Edited by Towncivilian

Not sure if r50s have the oval slot or not in the backing plate... If so use a small flat blade screwdriver through there to adjust the star wheel up to bring the shoes closer to the drum. If not, you'll have to do it with the drum off (still not a big deal if the star wheels turn free)

BR32 shows the star wheel Im talking about, the slot would be in the backing plate, not the drum if there is one (in line with the star wheels position) Sometimes there is a rubber plug in the adjuster slot, if so PUT IT BACK IN when done!

Well, okay. I knew they were self-adjusting (with every pedal press, claims the owner's manual).

I just adjusted the parking brake, instructions were quite vague, so I just raised the lever a few notches to access the adjusting nut, loosened it a bunch, lowered then raised the lever 5 notches, and tightened the nut until I got 8 notches out of the lever with a lot of force applied (both my hands, in this case). Parking brake still holds the vehicle and is disengaged properly, and the "BRAKE" indicator lamp turns on with less than one notch and turns off correctly. Brake pedal still has some travel, but I wasn't expecting any change.

I did find this thread which has a bunch of other Pathfinder owners saying that their R50 pedals are also rather soft. Maybe it's meant to be this way? I'll ask the service adviser at the local dealer what he thinks about my pedal travel.

Well, okay. I knew they were self-adjusting (with every pedal press, claims the owner's manual).

I just adjusted the parking brake, instructions were quite vague, so I just raised the lever a few notches to access the adjusting nut, loosened it a bunch, lowered then raised the lever 5 notches, and tightened the nut until I got 8 notches out of the lever with a lot of force applied (both my hands, in this case). Parking brake still holds the vehicle and is disengaged properly, and the "BRAKE" indicator lamp turns on with less than one notch and turns off correctly. Brake pedal still has some travel, but I wasn't expecting any change.

I did find this thread which has a bunch of other Pathfinder owners saying that their R50 pedals are also rather soft. Maybe it's meant to be this way? I'll ask the service adviser at the local dealer what he thinks about my pedal travel.

You need to adjust the drums, I had the same problem after bleeding my brakes, adjusting the parking brake cable doesn't affect how close the shoe is to the drum. Like nunya said there is a rubber plug covering a slot on the backing plate and you can use a screwdriver or a special tool to adjust it. What I did was adjust it untill I felt slight drag on the drum and backed it off one click.

Trimmed 3" off my custom made rear bumper. My new 31's were rubbing when stuffed and found out that the little srew that stops the trottle was backing itself out. It started sounding like it had a big cam in it. So I got that taken care of.

I went to the dealer and asked the service adviser what he thought about my pedal travel. He drove it around the block with myself as passenger. He said the pedal seemed fine, and so did the parking brake. He said that I shouldn't need to adjust the rear drums and that Pathfinders never really had a high brake pedal, even when new. He also commented that it's running great for 123.6k miles and also commended me on the cleanliness.

What do you guys think about my brake pedal situation? Should I still try to adjust them or get them adjusted at some shop (I can't imagine it'd cost a ton)?

I went to the dealer and asked the service adviser what he thought about my pedal travel. He drove it around the block with myself as passenger. He said the pedal seemed fine, and so did the parking brake. He said that I shouldn't need to adjust the rear drums and that Pathfinders never really had a high brake pedal, even when new. He also commented that it's running great for 123.6k miles and also commended me on the cleanliness.

What do you guys think about my brake pedal situation? Should I still try to adjust them or get them adjusted at some shop (I can't imagine it'd cost a ton)?

It is good for your drum brakes to be "adjusted," meaning that the shoes are close to the drums and engage with little pedal travel. You might already have this achieved. If you take the drums off, you can more easily see how turning the adjuster affects things, and probably get a good feel for how close they are already. If they are adjusted correctly already, you might have difficulty gettings the drums off, in which case I think you are done. If the drums are totally loose and come off trivially then you might want to spin that wheel a bunch. With the drums off you can easily tell which way you need to turn it, and get a feel for what you have to do through the access port on the rear. Personally I find adjusting them through that port to be a real pain and can't tell what is going on, but I haven't tried it on nissan drums. You don't have to get it super perfect, because they are self adjusting over time (but it does take a long time to go from totally loose to properly adjusted). If this all makes sense to you, then I'd say dive in and check it out and see how it works. If it sounds too overwhelming then you could just get a shop to check them out. It should take very little time to do. Lots of places give "free mechanical inspections" with tire rotation or whatever. Often they'll try to sell you something at the end of it though :)

got some new window stickers in, putting them on tomorrow......pics to follow!!!!!

And here are the pics!!!!!

2011-05-27_16-45-03_185.jpg

Best stickers are in the upper left corner. THANK YOU!

Best stickers are in the upper left corner. THANK YOU!

you are more than welcome......that's what I do!!!!! In about 15 months, I will have the Operation Enduring Freedom sticker under the flag!!!!!

a two theater Vet and then retire and become a Pathy junky for real!!!!!!

Edited by Meandmy92Pathy

Today!!! I put all new belts on, and the squealing has stopped!! then I washed it, Had a bird crap on my hood. So i washed it again, And Applied my Rockstar/ Monster Energy Stickers and Heli-Boarding stickers. Bought some Sandblasting sand for my Rims and some Cheezy Skull Valve stem covers... but they i'll make em work =D

got in, cranked her up and the dang AC wasn't working... :thumbsdown: ...too hot to investigate this evening, will do it in the AM!!!

I have determined that it's the blower....when I turn on the slider switch, the A/C light comes on and I have a change in the RPMs, but no fan comes on.......changed to floor, defrost, no blower on any of it!!!!!!

More research!!!!!

Edited by Meandmy92Pathy

Well, i pulled the blower resistor and vacuumed out all the crud that was in there......OMG it was a bunch.....2.5-3 inches of leaves, cat hair, and crap!!!!!

After this episode and several others, I have decided that the PO was a cat owner...... :thumbsdown:

I then pulled the dash apart......to get to the Auto A/C and check the switch......all was well, however, I cleaned it all just to be sure!!!!!

Reinstalled everything, and A/C/Heater blower still didn't work!!!!! Tapped the blower motor from the bottom........works now!!!!!!!

Tomorrow will check the blower motor and go from there........as there are pics from the blower removal, I will only show pics from the center console removal......

Auto A/C unit on the hood after cleaning

2011-05-29_14-50-35_530.jpg

Dash hole with all stuff gone......

2011-05-29_14-51-36_760.jpg

I hope the pics help others!!!!!!

If tapping the blower motor made it come on... My money sais the motor is your issue.

I have one of those control panels like that... if only I had all the other needed pieces to make it work in my truck

Thanks, going after the blower motor tomorrow.......too many beers today to try the heavy machinery this afternoon!!!!!!!

:lmao:

I tried everything before i came here......didn't want to get harassed about the :search: button!!!!!!!

more to follow!!!!!!

Honestly this ain't exactly a 'diagnosing' thread either, don't be shy about adding to a related thread. Bringing an older one back out that was relevant to you

I've been searching for the wires to mount a manual AC, I don't have it stock. Bought all the parts and now, before I get it on, I'm making sure of the places.

So pulled the glove box out but can't find the plug for the Thermal Contral Amp...

This makes us 2 around the AC....