Fender Flare Production

Dowser

Hello all.

So I'm currently in the works of talking with one of my Old International Exchange students from Brazil and it got me thinking about fender flares for a WD21 Pathfinder. Why you ask? Simple. For those of you who are unaware, it seems there were different variety of flares available for different countries and were not available for others. Now most of you on here that have been around for a while know that Brazil has some fantastic looking flares. I'm pretty sure they were available in Japan as well but since I have no connections in Japan, that is besides the point.

These are the Pictures of the flares I am refering too and I appologize to Crazymaxx and Don4x4 for not asking permission to post up some of you pictures without approval first and if you would rather I take them down I will but in the meantime I will use them for reference.

In these 2 photo's you can see the design difference then those of the North American versions and even you guys over in Australia and New Zealand that have wider versions of our flares can see the difference. In these Photo's CrazyMaxx is running a 32" tire. There is also this picture I have of Don4x4 who has a Solid Axle from a Patrol under his Terrano and from what i have read runs usually a 35" tire. Although, in this particular picture to me they look like 33's. It looks to me they can be mounted fine with at least a 33x12.5" tire whether you need to trim or not.

So what I'm thinking of doing provided I don't run into any legal issue's with Nissan, is Getting a set from a dealer there, have my friend ship them here, Find out what kind of plastic they are made of, Gather information on Costs for a Mold of all 4 Pieces, and a cost on how much and how many I would have to produce to make it a viable option for anyone that would like them anywhere. I wouldn't care what region of the world your in provided you pay for the shipping and i would obviously try and make the costs as low as possible in order to make them more appealing to the masses.

Now what I would like to know at this point, just to see if there is interest in doing this. Its obviously not worth a hassle if no one rather then me wants a pair. If that's the case then I'll buy a pair for me and be the only one north of Brazil sporting a set. :tongue:

At this time, I don't want to hear people saying things like it would depend on costs and such because that's obvious and this early into my research i can't possibly even guess a figure. Pretend they are free and if you like them say "Yes I like those more then our factory options and would be willing to pay for them"

Again. I just want to see if there's enough interest out there to see if this even worth making a call about.

And finally, If I were to go ahead with this does anyone have any insight on copyright issues for a matter like this? Like if a product is not even offered here, but is somewhere else in the world am i still liable? stuff like that. If there would be complications with that then I would merely have to modify them slightly so it wouldnt be the end of the world.

At any rate... Your thoughts all..

adamzan those aren't the ones I'm refering too. They are available for sure in Australia and New Zealand and were the ones I was refering too in my original post about being able to see the differences. This topic is for those wishing to acquire the ones I posted. For those of you wanting something else, I can't help you.

And about international copyright laws, thats kind of what I was thinking as well, but the cost per order from Nissan for those is ridiculous. They are about 500 bucks US from what I've been told from CrazyMaxx. I will confirm with my friend to get an exact figure.

And I dont think those styles were in Australia and New Zealand. I had a conversation with Tex about this a while back and they have the ones that Adamzan posted above but I'm pretty sure I havent seen or heard of anyone from there with the ones from Brazil in Oz.

Perhaps someone from that part of the world can give a definite answer to close that chapter.

Edited by Dowser

And I dont think those styles were in Australia and New Zealand. I had a conversation with Tex about this a while back and they have the ones that Adamzan posted above but I'm pretty sure I havent seen or heard of anyone from there with the ones from Brazil in Oz.

Perhaps someone from that part of the world can give a definite answer to close that chapter.

I was thinking that I've seen a few sets of those flares here before, but can't be sure...I'm certain that they had the body line running through the one's I've seen here.

I'll let you know if I find anything :beer:

I like the smooth, wide look of them just not the extensions on them for the molding to line up or the way it looks like the mudflaps look molded on the one kiwipete posted(I don't run/like mudflaps). I'd defiantly bolt a set up but as most peopel proably have an issue with, you have to PAY for them first...

They're likely made from a flexible thermoplastic like Bushwackers and would require a separate mold to be made for each flare at a cost prolly around $3,000 - $4,000 each. Then you'll have to get them manufactured at an injection molding shop. The $500 Brazilian imports may be a bit pricey, but you'd have to invest a ton of cash to make your own copy.

What I was thinking of doing (when I was thinking about doing it) was using a vacuum form method instead. It's how they make signs with raised lettering.embossed_painted_face.jpg

You make the mold out of MDF and since MDF is porous, the flare material will suck down and around it. As long as you're not trying to make 6" flares or a really complicated design it should work. And you need to keep the mold sides at a slight angle so it'll slip out of the form when it's done. The biggest problem is the durability of the material. There's a few different types of plastic you could use, but I never researched into it that far. Your R&D investment would be the cost of enough MDF for one flare and a sheet of plastic, about $100/sheet. Once you've got the method down, make three more molds and you're off.

They're likely made from a flexible thermoplastic like Bushwackers and would require a separate mold to be made for each flare at a cost prolly around $3,000 - $4,000 each. Then you'll have to get them manufactured at an injection molding shop. The $500 Brazilian imports may be a bit pricey, but you'd have to invest a ton of cash to make your own copy.

What I was thinking of doing (when I was thinking about doing it) was using a vacuum form method instead. It's how they make signs with raised lettering.embossed_painted_face.jpg

You make the mold out of MDF and since MDF is porous, the flare material will suck down and around it. As long as you're not trying to make 6" flares or a really complicated design it should work. And you need to keep the mold sides at a slight angle so it'll slip out of the form when it's done. The biggest problem is the durability of the material. There's a few different types of plastic you could use, but I never researched into it that far. Your R&D investment would be the cost of enough MDF for one flare and a sheet of plastic, about $100/sheet. Once you've got the method down, make three more molds and you're off.

Well being a sign guy most of my life I can say that most of the plastic they use for that stuff is pretty dang durable. Ive jumped on faces only to be thrown back three feet and grab a hammer to finish the job- and even that wasnt enough sometimes. Id end up having to break out the saw. It mostly depended on the age of the plastic as the sun starts to wear on it (as well as other elements). But most of the signs that started cracking were nearly 15-20 years old. With this type of fender you could also do some really cool color combos including clear/transparent colors. May be kinda sweet actually.

EDIT: I do remember one other thing and that was to stay away from molding harder edges, as they tend to be easier to crack, and break, apon pressure/resistance to flex.

Id be interested in this for sure. :aok:

Edited by 4xKory

Here's my :my2cents:

There is no copyright issue, hundreds of companies make fiberglass body parts by simply taking a mold off of a factory part. They don't pay royalties. If there is a patent (I'll bet $100 there isn't) the patent number would have to be permanently molded into the part. Otherwise, the patent is null and void.

If you are going to produce these the best material is probably ABS plastic sheet. It can be vacuum or compression formed. It's the most durable material I've seen for things like air dams that get whacked on the ground all the time. You could produce them much cheaper in limited quantity out of fiberglass or even carbon fiber as a mold can be pulled directly from the existing part and almost immediately used. 'Course fiberglass and cf won't hold up to things like tire, rock, and tree rub like ABS will! To do them out of ABS you'd have to machine the molds and that would be very expensive. Just reverse-engineering the flares into a CAD model would cost at least $1k per flare using a laser scanner. Of course you'd only have to scan one front and one rear, since the model could be mirrored for the opposite side.

I don't know if it's perfected yet, but one other option might be to pull fiberglass molds off of the existing parts and then use a two-part material similar to spray in bedliner to make the actual part. One of my Mogger friends owned a Bull Hide bedliner franchise. He pulled molds off a set of 404 front fenders and made a couple sets of semi-flexible fenders out of Bull Hide about 1/4" thick! They did sag over time but were way more durable than the steel ones as far as bashability goes. Mog fenders are really big and flat and tend to get used (by idiots) as entry steps. A rounded part like a flare would probably hold it's shape well over time. Plus there are lots of two-part formulations out now. Might be worth a little research.

Here's my :my2cents:

There is no copyright issue, hundreds of companies make fiberglass body parts by simply taking a mold off of a factory part. They don't pay royalties. If there is a patent (I'll bet $100 there isn't) the patent number would have to be permanently molded into the part. Otherwise, the patent is null and void.

If you are going to produce these the best material is probably ABS plastic sheet. It can be vacuum or compression formed. It's the most durable material I've seen for things like air dams that get whacked on the ground all the time. You could produce them much cheaper in limited quantity out of fiberglass or even carbon fiber as a mold can be pulled directly from the existing part and almost immediately used. 'Course fiberglass and cf won't hold up to things like tire, rock, and tree rub like ABS will! To do them out of ABS you'd have to machine the molds and that would be very expensive. Just reverse-engineering the flares into a CAD model would cost at least $1k per flare using a laser scanner. Of course you'd only have to scan one front and one rear, since the model could be mirrored for the opposite side.

I don't know if it's perfected yet, but one other option might be to pull fiberglass molds off of the existing parts and then use a two-part material similar to spray in bedliner to make the actual part. One of my Mogger friends owned a Bull Hide bedliner franchise. He pulled molds off a set of 404 front fenders and made a couple sets of semi-flexible fenders out of Bull Hide about 1/4" thick! They did sag over time but were way more durable than the steel ones as far as bashability goes. Mog fenders are really big and flat and tend to get used (by idiots) as entry steps. A rounded part like a flare would probably hold it's shape well over time. Plus there are lots of two-part formulations out now. Might be worth a little research.

Another option would be a copy mill, then just mill the ABS down using an original as a guide.