News. Where do you get it?

Vsicks Pathy

I'm with 88, NW cable new is a pretty good source, and it's not too annoying. Really, I can only watch the news for a short time before I get disheartened; "Tonight's tops story, Shooting in......" "Woman raped, police looking for suspect...."

BREAKING NEWS.....

"Fatal car crash......"

I mean seriously here. Yes the events of the day are very important, don't get me wrong there, it's just the level of attention to the subject matter. Ok thats fine it happened, but I really don't need live coverage of someone's house burning down. You want to know how I stay happy and good spirited? I stay away from the news as much as I can. Don't get me wrong here, there are some great specials on the news as well, but it seems to me that they have to make a streach somtimes to find that one good story, then it's back to the bad news. Ok I'm starting to rant here, I'm cutting myself off.

Mostly web based news... Fark.com and dailyrotten.com are the primary sources, but then they just list articles from all over. That way you can skip the atricles you have no interest in, and the forums can be amusing, informational and contain relevant links to get different sources/view points. That said, most news is crap...

B

Up here in the frozen north, I like CBC (even though they are on strike right now) and Global. Both give a good view with much less emphasis on American stories except as they pertain to Canada. Both have good content on the web although the best on the Global web site is by subscription.

Local news including NW Cable, cable news like CNN and MSNBC, etc. for breaking stuff and pics (but I despise the talking heads and all their BS), web news sources, and particularly friends, as we a few of us like to pass around storyies, differing viewpoints, etc. I've watched CBC lately a few times, which is shown here in WA, and actually find it good. Its nice to get an outside viewpoint that isn't 95% focused on US issues to the point of ignoring the rest of the world. So yeah, as many sources as I can reasonable get.

I think a major problem is that so many people choose to stick with a single biased news source because they are comfortable with it and it tells them what they want to hear. One source gives you one angle at the story or issue, and helps then form an unbalanced view and understanding of events.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

You realize they are even wrong on many occations.

yes, and i read a variety of online and otherwise stories/news but AP is where i start.. most of their stories are just news.. no opinions, thank you.

it also depends what kind of news... if it's related to just world news the above is where i go.. if it's financial news i tend to go to financialy related sites.. if it is sports, depends but espn get's a bit of use here..

if it is news related specifically related to Irq or other US policy related info i tend to scan the net.. quite a bit of foreign publications are written in english but i can muddle through several even if they aren't..

for weather i use wunderground.. it's got some nice features... LWS network is pretty good too..

Oh, I TOTALLY believe the big 3 American networks and US newspapers are completely unbiased and present only the true and verified facts! They are news reporters, not entertainment, right?

Removes tongue from cheek.... :D

I'll watch/read them on a casual basis to see if there is anything going on I want to find out more about. But I always assume they are presenting a very biased viewpoint based on politics and profits. Sad, but true. Credibility is so hard to re-establish after being stupidly squandered.

CNN, BBC, or Reuters are more common source.

BS/misinformation filter set pretty high when watching CNN, pretty low on BBC. Regardless, I always cross check "reports" at least a couple ways before actually believing much.