What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Well pulled the motor out this morning. I had to do it quick before apartment management found out. Pulled it out and got it loaded onto the truck. Then the manager came out and spoke with me about how I can't work on vehicles in the parking lot. I guess maintenance told her. I guess it's time for me to get onto people about not cleaning up after their dogs.

IMG_0770.jpg

Ohh no no, it's not anything Pathfinder. '84 Z31. Link to build thread here. I have removed the computer controlled idle stuff (not wired in) and it has been manually set to exactly 1000RPM. The computer has zero control over any idle function, and I haven't had an issue with it till a month or so ago when it would randomly start idling poor after sitting at a stop light or whatever for a little bit. I believe the unit is leaking internally causing the poor idle and vacuum leak issue. Before, I could control the idle up to 1500RPM or down to 500RPM - steady with no miss or stumble.

Whenever it starts to idle poor a smack with the hammer fixes it for a bit. So I'll source a new one somewhere and throw it in. I'm digging around on the Z car forums and I'm not the only one that's had a leak develop in the IACV.

Ah, gotcha. Are there any moving parts in there other than the screw? Seems kinda weird that smacking it would really change much.

I sometimes wonder if ECU controlled idle is actually a good thing... seems like it just masks problems.

Well pulled the motor out this morning. I had to do it quick before apartment management found out. Pulled it out and got it loaded onto the truck. Then the manager came out and spoke with me about how I can't work on vehicles in the parking lot. I guess maintenance told her. I guess it's time for me to get onto people about not cleaning up after their dogs.

yes, you should :aok: people should have to clean up after their dogs...

yes, you should :aok: people should have to clean up after their dogs...

As a dog owner, I agree.

Lets see...today I removed her centerlink (Now we wait for the grassroots replacement!). Also popped the upper ball joints out of the steering knuckle. The replacements are already installed on the new UCA's, just have to sort what bolts to use. :)

86ba69b6.jpg

zerks fittings in the tire carrier... simple as drillign a couple holes, threading them, screw in fitting, notch where the fittings might hit when carrier is open, lube!

Lets see I picked up a valve cover gaskets and will be installing them this weekend hopefully......I'll try to make a sticky for the install with pix...

Attached the motor mount brackets, AC bracket, and power steering bracket onto the motor. Ruined one brand new cam seal and bought another. so now I have a Fel Pro cam seal and a Moog cam seal. I'm thinking the Moog is going to outlast the Fel-Pro. Compared the thermostat housing and they are different slightly in design, angle, height although mounting points are the same. I need to source some lower z31 timing cover bolts. I'll probably do a write-up on a VG33 swap someday when I actually finish this build/install.

Crawled under it to remove the rear sway bar, but then got lazy... pulled the MAF to clean it, waiting for the ECU to reset to take it for a drive and see if it solved my CEL and running rich issues.

broke out the spray can and did a quick touch up on the carrier. black out the new zerks fittings and where I notched the carrier. also diagnosed one of my front end clangs... guess im doeing sway bar bushings at some point.

Applied 303 Aerospace Protectant to all of the door weatherstripping. Hope it stops the front passenger door from sticking and restores some pliability to the rubber. Also applied some to the various rubber/vinyl/plastic surfaces in the interior, really made them look new again. I still need to actually wash the car, wipe down all the windows inside and out, vacuum, clean the steering wheel and door panels... nothing ever seems to stay clean!

I also tried applying some of the protectant to the window moldings, but it didn't help much it looks like... they still look nasty.

Edited by Towncivilian

Found the source of my CEL! Awhile ago i was getting the codes for injector leak and injector circuit. removed the precat and cleaned the MAF, that must have gotten rid of those codes. but then when I checked the codes again today, it was 32, EGR Function. Some quick help in the Facebook PoHo, I found the culprit!

IMG_20110715_192157.jpg

Went to the local shucks/oreilly's, said i needed some vacuum hose, when he asked how much I said "ehh... maybe an inch?" so he went digging through the scrap bin and just gave me a chunk.

CEL all gone now! yay.

Edited by silverton

Replaced the front windshield pump on the 88, spent about a 1/2 a day cruising the local pickaparts and couldn't find a damm thing

For the front pump damn near every Nissan I checked in the pick a part was the same. I'm using one from a maxima on my 87. I pulled the pumps from a 99 villager and they are all plastic so no rust problems. I have a small stack of pumps now but still none for the rear. The rear uses a positive displacement type pump.

James

For the front pump damn near every Nissan I checked in the pick a part was the same. I'm using one from a maxima on my 87. I pulled the pumps from a 99 villager and they are all plastic so no rust problems. I have a small stack of pumps now but still none for the rear. The rear uses a positive displacement type pump.

James

:D Anytime I'm prowling the JYs that's 2 of the items I always check for

Why do you guys need washer pumps so much? Mine are still original and working fine after 10 years.

Maybe they use their fluid a lot? No idea. Mine are original too and are still working well.

Well, my clutch kit, t-belt/tensioner, water pump, and drive axles finally came in today...which is great except I will be not be able to get to any of it until next month.

On the upside both my washer tanks still work great!

At least they were...