Holy Dip Stick Fat Man!

sencaw

SE V6 Oil Filter  

35 members have voted

1. 1. What were they thinking when they decided oil filter location?

• Will anyone actually ever change this thing?
    • Everyone has a spare midget in the tool box!
    • Not much for accessibility but it look good.
    • Why would someone put a oil filter on the bottom?
    • Sushi for lunch guys?

lmao@this poll...

I'll let someone with more WD21 knowledge answer this Q... I know you can do a relocation on the newer WD's....

I prefer thinking of the engineering meeting when they thought it up went something like this eng 1 "How can we make a dependable engine, yet make sure it will break and they will by a new one? Eng 2 says "Lets hide/make the oil filter difficult to get to" Eng 1, "Dang Bob, job security!"

Edited by Scaramoche

Its really not that hard. I used to grab it from the top all the time.

Before I put the headers in I relocted it to the trany x-member now its really easy and it doesn't drip or spill over anything when I change it.

3" bodylift makes a world of difference for removal. I reach right between the frame and body, throw a coupel rags ontop of the starter, unscrew it and let it drop to the floor. I don't remember if I squeezed the new filter between the frame/body for instalation though...

Yeah, it's not to bad to get to, but putting it in a place so that changing it dumps oil all over the starter was a very good idea, NOT.

Its a good idea if you own a company that rebuilds/manufactures starters for cars that wont die, they just wont start.

I think it was good idea,it keeps the filter up and out of the way of rocks and other stuff that can be trown up at a filter and put a hole in it...changing it on the other had is kinda a pita...but on my 95 it was never a problem(depending if I lugged that sob down or not)

It's reletaviely easy to replace so long as it isn't over tightened. Just take off the passenger wheel and bam it's right there.

it took my oil change guy 3 changes before he realized that the rubber in the wheel well was removable. it was alot of fun watching him burn his arm on the e.manifold. once he ried from underneath by tasking off the engine guard and smashed his head on the bumper.

as for the oil on the starter...just drain the oil first, then all you have to do is....who am i kidding What A MESS-O-CRAP that stuff makes.

Wow...Its not that hard to get at, at all. I've gotten so used to doing oil changes on the pathy that I can do it in 5 minutes and know how much to pour out of the 4.4L jug just by eying it...

Also if you don't want your starter to take a bath make sure you don't tilt the filter down when you remove it...easy.

Are you guys using filters with anti-backflow? The ones I use are and it holds the oil in the filter, first turn after breaking the seal loose it all flows out past the seal and down the block to the starter. Anymore I just tuck a wad of paper towels under it,.... it works.

^ six buck filter,I get fram(Some people dont like...I never had a problem,but I never left them on more then a month),super tech and Ac delco...the super tech and Ac delco look just like wix and have about half the price...

What brand of filter do you use. I have a purolator premium plus on right now but I usually use motomaster (Canadian tire house brand)

CarQuest red box. F- fram, if my main concern is a grippy end, I'll paint it on.

Hi everybody, I'm new here and my English isn't the best. That oil filter, I think is a big pain in the ... for mechanics people. It has the worst location. When I changed it I wasn't able to screwed it well enough.