VIEW FROM BEHIND THE PARTS COUNTER

Alkorahil

:nono:

No way, mopeds are dangerous. We were talking about cars, so I didn't mention the CBR1100XX or BMW K75. ;)

I'd really like a 400cc enduro but I have also been looking at some electric motorcycles. They are becomming quite viable as well! :aok:

But then the wife wouldn't be riding one, so back to the Leaf!

B

The Nissan Golfcart Leaf fits a very specific type of person that drives short distances. In that regard and based on what you said it would probably fit very well, especially with many backup vehicles for alternate transportation.

Here in TX where everything is 30 minutes away and you have to run the AC in the car full tilt 9 months of the year, its a little less practical at the moment.

The owners that grind my gears around here that but the Leaf tend to like to let you know or infer to you how much of a better person they are than you because they are not hurting the environment in their Leaf like the rest of us unwashed are.

It may have a lower 'emissions footprint' but I would love to see the environmental 'footprint' to manufacture it compared to other vehicles.

When I was at a class(Infiniti M35 hybrid) we learned that almost the entire Leaf is recyclable, or made from recycled materials. I thought long and had about one when I was commuting up there. I have heard of Leaf owners being a pain, but I will bet Prius owners are worse all day long. I mostly hate those people.

(Said the guy who works at a Toyota/ford dealer)

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

When I was at a class(Infiniti M35 hybrid) we learned that almost the entire Leaf is recyclable, or made from recycled materials. I thought long and had about one when I was commuting up there. I have heard of Leaf owners being a pain, but I will bet Prius owners are worse all day long. I mostly hate those people.

(Said the guy who works at a Toyota/ford dealer)

I could see Prius owners being a pain too!

What grinds my gears about Prius and Leaf owners. First they merge onto the highway doing 25 mph, second they drive 35 mph in the center lane of same highway. While rest of traffic was flowing at 55-60 mph.

• Like 1

. . . and they give you a snotty look at the red light when you both exit the highway, because you're not in a Prius.

To add to what Rob said, living in Texas and South Louisiana my whole life where everything is a 20 minute drive away - a Prius won't save you gas commuting because it is a serial hybrid. The only way you'll save gas is in a vehicle where the electric motor is supplemental power, allowing you to have a smaller gasoline engine in a vehicle that traditionally would have an 8 or 6 cylinder engine. Serial hybrids that allow for electric operation in city cycle driving but are gas-powered in highway cycle driving are a waste unless you are an urban dweller in a large city.

. . . and they give you a snotty look at the red light when you both exit the highway, because you're not in a Prius.

To add to what Rob said, living in Texas and South Louisiana my whole life where everything is a 20 minute drive away - a Prius won't save you gas commuting because it is a serial hybrid. The only way you'll save gas is in a vehicle where the electric motor is supplemental power, allowing you to have a smaller gasoline engine in a vehicle that traditionally would have an 8 or 6 cylinder engine. Serial hybrids that allow for electric operation in city cycle driving but are gas-powered in highway cycle driving are a waste unless you are an urban dweller in a large city.

Agreed!

My point exactly!

didn't say I liked having to do it but when the tire needs to get mounted and the boss is the one who suggests it, it gets done.

Those old bias tires like I said the old Mickey Thompsons, say a 15/39/15 on a 10" or 12" wide wheel, in cold weather (NY) the bead sometimes didn't want to cooperate LOL

i watched my uncle do this with a 44" super swamper last winter when he couldn't get the bead to set it scared the crap outa me(i wasn't paying attention) but he had to do it 2 or 3 times till it set right

Am I not technically correct that it is a serial hybrid? I know that when the Prius was introduced, it operated only in battery mode or gasoline mode at a time.

Let me clarify my allegory because a Civic HE, (Is it the HE? the super-efficient model. . . ) with skinny tires and low-drag aerodynamics has comparable if not identical highway mileage. So I'll use that for comparison.

My point was more toward overall driving, how an owner employs the vehicle. If I live in a rural town in Texas and commute to a job 35 miles away in the outskirts of Houston or Dallas, then a Prius won't save me any mileage over a similar vehicle - such as the Civic HE. It will save me mileage over my Pathfinder, of course, but just like I wouldn't buy a Prius to go off-roading, I wouldn't buy a Pathfinder for commuting.

The power-coupling hybrid system I had in mind is used in the Lexus hybrids. I also think the Toyota Camry has the same system, where the vehicle has a small gasoline engine (relative to its size) and that the electric motor supplements the low power-output of the gasoline engine. It is my understanding that the Prius is not chiefly intended for this implementation, but that it is more for the urban dweller than the highway commuter because at highway speeds it runs on gasoline only and in city cycle driving it primarily operates on it's electric motor. Simply put, if I'm not mistaken the Prius is and either/ or hybrid whereas the system I'm describing, uses the electric motor as a supplement to up the power output. (This is especially interesting when you consider the possibilities of torque production with electric motors :ph33r: )

I am sure that the feeling of being "elite" has absolutely NOTHING to do with annual Prius sales. . . :lol:

*Edit* It's the Civic HF.

I never said you were incorrect about that.

Somehow I don't think this vehicle was ever intended for rural Texans. No gun rack, beer holder and the tires are too small... :tongue:

I suspect that doesn't account for as many sales as you think. I'm pretty sure that the fact that they work well carries much more weight.

I was simply stating that they are quite efficient running on gas and you still have the benefit of electric around town. Most people don't just drive on the highway... ;)

Like I said, there aren't many cars that hit 50mpg. :shrug:

The only way you'll save gas is in a vehicle where the electric motor is supplemental power, allowing you to have a smaller gasoline engine in a vehicle that traditionally would have an 8 or 6 cylinder engine.

Serial hybrids that allow for electric operation in city cycle driving but are gas-powered in highway cycle driving are a waste unless you are an urban dweller in a large city.

I don't know of any V6 or V8s that get close to 50 mpg, not even most 4 cylinders do.

My opinion is that this is incorrect. You get the benefits of electric operation at low speeds and the range/fuel efficiency of a "HE' vehicle on the highway. The best of both worlds... :shrug:

B

We've officially derailed this thread.

*More parts counter stories!!!

Any interesting phone calls for parts lately?

Yes.....

we have been chuckling about this all week:

Local person wanted to special order some bolts for the front struts. Got him prices, ETA, etc.

Me: Could I get a contact phone number for you so we can give you a call when the parts arrive?

Caller on Phone: I don't have a phone.

Me: awkward silence followed by "um ok" well they will probalby arrive Monday morning.

I never said you were incorrect about that.

Somehow I don't think this vehicle was ever intended for rural Texans. No gun rack, beer holder and the tires are too small... :tongue:

I suspect that doesn't account for as many sales as you think. I'm pretty sure that the fact that they work well carries much more weight.

I was simply stating that they are quite efficient running on gas and you still have the benefit of electric around town. Most people don't just drive on the highway... ;)

Like I said, there aren't many cars that hit 50mpg. :shrug:

I don't know of any V6 or V8s that get close to 50 mpg, not even most 4 cylinders do.

My opinion is that this is incorrect. You get the benefits of electric operation at low speeds and the range/fuel efficiency of a "HE' vehicle on the highway. The best of both worlds... :shrug:

B

My fault for generalizing; I was mentally still working within the allegory when I made that statement. The Prius is certainly an efficient vehicle, I can't take that away from it. I even have to admit that in its current iteration, it's not all that bad looking either. Who knew?

I still think the best of both worlds is VW's approach - a small diesel permanently coupled to an auxiliary electric motor. Sports car performance at about 65 mpg combined cycle. Delicious.

Me: Could I get a contact phone number for you so we can give you a call when the parts arrive?

Me: awkward silence followed by "um ok" well they will probalby arrive Monday morning.

Somewehre in Texas, there's a pay phone.

So according to the Nissan fiscal year end report we are the 13th largest Parts dealer in the US and 16th in new car sales. Not bad. We also had the highest CSI in the state for October.

Good job! I hope we do our part in that as well... ;)

Yes.....

we have been chuckling about this all week:

Local person wanted to special order some bolts for the front struts. Got him prices, ETA, etc.

:rofl:

Some peoples children!

Somewehre in Texas, there's a pay phone.

*snort*

B

I was looking over this repair order that was submitted by the service deptartment earlier and started giggling.

Vehicle: 13 NISS QUES

A Oil and Filter Change

B TIRE ROTATE

C CUSTOMER STATES THE OUTLET IN THE BACK IS INOP

D CUSTOMER STATES THE OUTLET IN THE FRONT IS INOP

E CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A STEAK ON THE PASSANGER FRONT WINDOW

E CUSTOMER STATES THERE IS A STEAK ON THE PASSANGER FRONT WINDOW

Depending on how long it's been there, this could be a good thing. Well, depending on the source too. Not a fan of possum steak.

We had an older gentlemen here earlier today preaching to the customers in the waiting area who were waiting for their oil changes.

He was wearing a pith helmet and white serapee with brown leather sandals and had his leather-bound bible with him, showing it to people.

According to this 'prophet', the world is ending in 8 days because God is mad at us for hurting the envrionment. He told us all this in a very loud voice while he was here waiting for his Nissan Leaf batteries to charge.....

He then took a few complimentary bagels from the coffee bar in the wait area and went outside to the front parking lot and fed the grackles/birds Panera bagels and sang loud hymns/songs up to the sky.

He has been here before a few times. He likes to corner you as you walk by and tell you about Jesus. Well his vesion of it all anyways......

UPDATE:

I wasnt here but apparently this guy came in Saturday, started creating a comotion. Told the service people he didnt want his car and was leaving it with us because the almighty is coming in a few days and he doesnt need or want it anymore and we can take it back.

Car is still sitting here.

They called NMAC to come collect it from us.