Jackson Autosport's R50 Missing Link

tekazgtr1984

• 1 month later...

Finally got mine installed.....,WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks John Jackson (from Jackson Autosports) for the Freebie!!!! He came to the UPROAR TOUR in Quebec and got to hang a bit! Thanks!

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Finally got mine installed.....,WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks John Jackson (from Jackson Motorsports) for the Freebie!!!! He came to the UPROAR TOUR in Quebec and got to hang a bit! Thanks!

Yeah, feels much stiffer huh? Wasn't enough bands for my taste in metal at uproar when it came to Toronto (I can't stand Disturbed, Airbourne would have been cool to see though.), but I go to a lot of different shows in TO, maybe a beer is in order next time you're there :P

Installed mine today, did not notice any difference on my local roads, but on the highway where it gets pretty choppy I was not getting as much side to side motion or shuddering, so for me it was well worth the money...

BTW: you need a 22mm socket for the bolts your removing, and on my 01 with 117k they were pretty much a pain in the ass to get out, so expect a good workout even with a breaker bar.

FYI, 22mm= .866" and 7/8"=.875" so while I always try to use the correct sized tools, some interchangability is allowed, such as 13mm-1/2", 19mm-3/4" and in this case 7/8 should work fine also.

Does this missing link get in the way of the Front Skid Plate from AC in any way? It definitely looks like a worthwhile improvement!

If you mean what I think you do, the answer is no. I have my Black Panther front skid installed and it doesn't even come close to interfering with the Missing Link. The mid-skid, on the other hand, may pose a challenge but that's just me speculating.

Quite frankly, this is a great item to use to mount skid plates to!! Calling all custom fabbers!! Calling Jackson Autosports!!! Make some skid plates where this bar holds the back of the front plate and the front of the mid plate...

I want one for the wife's R50. If I have material laying around at work, I'll make one as was shown, but if not I'll happily buy it too.

B

Quite frankly, this is a great item to use to mount skid plates to!! Calling all custom fabbers!! Calling Jackson Autosports!!! Make some skid plates where this bar holds the back of the front plate and the front of the mid plate...

Very true. I had a piece of steel and went under the truck on the weekend to see if I could make my own link and thought to myself "wow, that would be a great place to mount a skid plate to protect the oil pan with". At the very least, it could be used as a brace under a skid plate to make things even stronger.

Been a few months now, thanks John for a very affordable and easy to install upgrade. No complaints. Would definitley recommend soaking bolts overnite if you Path has seen salt. It will save a few hours if you are using handtools like I did.

Got a pic of your bar? I made my own aswell and think it is slightly improved over the jackson bar, curious to see what others came up with

• 2 months later...

Just placed my order today. Really nice folks and I like the thought of supporting a shop that is actually supporting our vehicle.

As with others, I'll post up my take on the benefits of the install.

Edited by Rick13

• 2 weeks later...

:deadhorse:

Just placed my order today. Really nice folks and I like the thought of supporting a shop that is actually supporting our vehicle.

As with others, I'll post up my take on the benefits of the install.

Already received mine from JA today in the mail...that seemed really quick. I got a little excited and put it in this afternoon.

2011-04-02_16-10-36_546.jpg

After a quick drive around the block I didn't notice much difference. Maybe a little stiffer feeling going in to corners and less body roll going up my curb/sidwalk/driveway. I will get it out on the open road tomorrow and will be testing it in Moab (w/Thunderbolt) in May. Will post up findings on both soon...

Edited by Rick13

Well, I was doing about 45 mph when someone pulled out in front of me. This is the first time since installing the link that I actually "felt" the difference. There was very little roll and my quick left-right action was quite controlled. Pretty cool. Can't wait to wheel it...

• 10 months later...

Not to resurrect and old thread or anything but all positive comments aside I think Geoff57 had some valid points about adding the cross brace. In an accident the engine/ tranny is designed to do exactly as he described. Anyone have any input on this?

Hi gang It has been a while since I have posted here.

I made up and fitted a brace nearly exactly the same as this around 4 years ago. I used it to mount the rear end of the one piece bash plate I fabricated. It worked well and caused no problems.

The only problem with their design is it doesnt look crash safe and will significantly reduce the movement of the engine downwards away from the passenger compartment in a crash.

To over come this problem I hole sawed two large holes at either end in the top of the box section. My theory was these top holes become shear points if the engine is pushed downwards but would not significantly reduce structural strength for upward impacts on the bash plate.

Geoff

• 1 year later...

Wow! Cant tell if this is stickied or not. But needs to be IMO.

One of the first things I noticed while loading up on tools and towing a trailer was a loose feeling front. Saw this and immediately ordered one.

So others know. It was $60 shipped to me in Miami, Fl. Which is not bad. Now is just the wait for it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Since I cant edit my post above, I'll add this.

For those wondering about safety of the engine drop etc in a accident.

For years, I have been a F-body buff. 3rd/4th Gens. 1982-2002 Camaro/Firebird. Of which I have made them into autocross cars, to full on drag queens.

My first autocross project was a 1990 RS 305 5spd. Which I did full subframe connectors with the x-brace across the middle. |X| <-- like that.

Plus, lower reinforcement bars that went from the crossmemberr back to the frame connectors. Up top was a full triangulated brace. Across both strut mounts, then back to a center point on the cowl/fire wall.

I tell you, compared to stock. That car you could jack from the center of the side and the whole car would lift up. The 305 didnt have enough power to get into trouble speed wise. But I could take corners at great speeds with out a blink. (Full other suspension was done with wheels and tires.)

Now, onto the accident part. Me and some buds were going through some 2 lane back roads in NC while we were stationed there. We hadnt been on these roads yet. So were taking it easy. But still going through some nice twisties about 35mph. Posted speed was 20-25mph. Needless to say, going through a sweeping left hand curve, there was a large tractor taking up the whole road. I went off the road to the right to avoid. But as I went back onto the road. The rear went out on me. I popped the clutch into 2nd gear and tried to power straight out of it. But all I did was catch and then propel myself across the road into a very large old tree.

The tree hit first on the passenger side front headlight, then made its way to the drivers side area.

Did the engine drop? No. It did get pushed. BUT the fact that everything got pushed because of the bracing, the bracing actually kept the engine from being in my lap. Seatbelt plus airbags worked great. But I think if I didnt have the braces I would have been much worse off than some early style airbag burn and a slight scratch. They are worth it.

Plus with as much off roading that I see a lot of you guys do. I think would help with unwanted body flex on the trails. Just need to get mine in to see how im going to fab up a center skid plate to attach to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Got it Friday Thank you JA!

Installed today - What a PITA. One of the bolts took forever to re-install. Almost seemed it was cross threaded. No though so, we'll see the change tomorrow.

Can't wait for my 1" spacers front and rear as well as my new, OME suspension. Also waiting on underbody protection and am now working on my snorkel.

First impressions,

Pretty much as almost everyone before me described the change. Much more taught ride. The Pathy is not as "jumpy" or "nervous" on irregular pavement. Noticed there is not as much chatter/vibration and this is saying a lot, especially since I need to replace my springs and struts.

Drove on a pot-hole-filled back lane on the way to work and the Pathy is much much more composed.

Overall, excellent results for the price. I am a believer. I didn't think such a small item could make such a big difference. Great! Thank you!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...