Exhaust Fix For $1100?!?!?!

Tsingson

My flanges on my exhaust have rusted out a good amount and I was getting a bad exhaust leak. I took it to Monro to get an estimate to fix it thinking they could probably just put a bead of weld to close it up. Mind you, this is a 1993 WD21 from the Northeast and it has been killed by the years of snow and salt. So they quoted me $1100 for some new exhaust pipe and an O2 sensor since he "believed" that the one on there would be too difficult to take off. I didnt want to spend that much on the truck since that would probably be more than the actual value of the truck itself. So I went to Autozone and bought some exhaust liquid putty that hardens into metal and filled all the gaps on the flange. The end result is no exhaust leak at all and I only spent $6.00. I also had a huge hole in the floor underneath the carpeting where the rust ate it and I fixed that with a sheet of aluminum from Home Depot, some cherry rivets and a tube of silicone adhesive/gasket. That cost me around $30.00. So now the Pathy is somewhat back to where it was before. And it didnt cost me an arm and a leg. Just thought I would rant and give you guys something to read.

My flanges on my exhaust have rusted out a good amount and I was getting a bad exhaust leak. I took it to Monro to get an estimate to fix it thinking they could probably just put a bead of weld to close it up. Mind you, this is a 1993 WD21 from the Northeast and it has been killed by the years of snow and salt. So they quoted me $1100 for some new exhaust pipe and an O2 sensor since he "believed" that the one on there would be too difficult to take off. I didnt want to spend that much on the truck since that would probably be more than the actual value of the truck itself. So I went to Autozone and bought some exhaust liquid putty that hardens into metal and filled all the gaps on the flange. The end result is no exhaust leak at all and I only spent $6.00. I also had a huge hole in the floor underneath the carpeting where the rust ate it and I fixed that with a sheet of aluminum from Home Depot, some cherry rivets and a tube of silicone adhesive/gasket. That cost me around $30.00. So now the Pathy is somewhat back to where it was before. And it didnt cost me an arm and a leg. Just thought I would rant and give you guys something to read.

that repair should last a lifetime :doh:

Pipe Dope patch crap wont last. Midas tried that shortcut on me and I busted them for it because they lied and said they installed new gaskets when all they did was shove new ones in and then covered

them with pipe dope. Never even bothered to unbolt the flanges.

I dont care if they say its "tough to work on old exhasts".....its what they say they SPECIALIZE in right? standard exhaust work is not rocket science. They are just being lazy.

$1100?? Holy crap!! I didn't pay that much for my exhaust system and I have Thorley headers, Magnaflow high flow cat and Flowmaster exhaust!!

Too bad you aren't closer, I have most of the old exhaust system and it is in great shape...

B

Yeah, as said above, 1100 for an exhaust is crazy. I was just quoted $550 for a 2 1/2" exhaust with freeflowing muffler, and I live in the land where everything is more expensive than the US.

$1100??? :blink: I was quotd like $650 for a new 2.25" system from the manifolds back.

It's not that hard to use a tube bender and get the right bends for the Y-pipe...

I paid about $600 for everything but the intermediate pipe with the O2 bung (still need to make a new one....). That was headers, Cat, and cat-back pipe/muffler.

Edited by GrimGreg

• 2 weeks later...

IIRC, I found that I can get a complete exhaust (catalytic converter and all) for somewhere between $300-600 USD on rockauto.com although I don't think that was including the manifolds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry for the thread-jack but Im looking to get a cat-back system and just curious what brand y'all went with. I was look'n here...

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&VN=4294967085+4294965746+4294967261+4294966159+4294967124&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Engine+%26+Drivetrain,wpn_cat_name:Mufflers+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Mufflers,universal:0)&No=0&Npp=10

and it seemed like bosal, walker, ansa, and the "replacement" OE systems seemed like good matches.

• 3 weeks later...

$1100 is nuts, what were they going to use gold pipe?? I see shops advertising dual exhaust down here for $250,

Remember, 60% of that price is for labor. It is a PITA to get thosebolts out. I had a garage give back my truck due to the trouble to get those bolts out. He stated if I truly charge you for the time its going to take my guys to remove those bolts you were to think I was ripping you off. He gave me the keys back and said lets stay friends. He's my dads deisel mechanic. lol