So Sorry To Revisit Frame Rot... Update: The most redneck trailer loading ever?

ZombeeXXX

Hello,

Sorry to have to introduce meself to the community this way but I face a dilemma and this is surely the best place to turn. Been lurking about, and I'm also a Z'er. Anyway, on to my horrorshow:

Pathy_rust008.jpg

Driver's front wheelwell

Pathy_rust009.jpg

Driver's side rear doorjamb

_________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust015.jpg

Below Passenger doors

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust011.jpg

Driver's rear frame

______________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust010.jpg

More

______________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust014.jpg

Crossmember-driver side

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust016.jpg

Crossmember-passenger side

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pathy_rust013.jpg

More from driver's side...

Ok, I realize this is probably beyond repairable. But this is a 148,000 mile truck that runs super well, just hasn't been taken care of well. I've had it almost 3 years just to let me store the Z and save some money. Of course, I get a little money together to put into the Z and now I have to emergency divert funds into solving this.

I hope someone has an (inexpensive)~92 SE with a blown motor/good frame or some other recommendations as I have resorted to borrowing a vehicle when I OWN TWO... FML. I do not want to give up the capabilities of this truck. Especially after this winter! Kinda stuck locally now, too. I could probably limp it to a buy here/pay here and get a little on trade, but end up with some lemon.

I am about an hour west of Lincoln, NE ..FWIW.. I think it will be hard/harder to find a local replacement in much better shape, but I will be calling junkyards ASAP.

All suggestions will be considered.

Thanks,

Tim

Edited by ZombeeXXX

Ditto,thats worse then mine and on hear most peoples frames where better then mine before they fixed it.You can do one of four things...

1.get another truck that have good frames on them (ford,dodge or chevy/gmc)

2.pay out the ass to have it fixed...

3.fix it your self...

4.Try to find a nissan with a good frame but bad engine or tranny and swap over.

1.I dont know if you like any of these trucks and you may not want to buy domestic.

2.I wouldnt pay more then a 1k to have it fixed,and that'll be more unless you know the guy.

3.this is the cheapess but very time consuming.

4.Most of the trucks in your area are probly just as rotten.

Looks like you would be best to completely replace the rear of the frame. The roll pans can be replaced completely with new pieces, or cut and patched in. I had to rebuilt one of mine by the back door, wasn't to difficult.

not even worth the time or money. find another pathinder.

I guess living in california you don't have to worry about this kinda stuff. I have seen 2 pathfinders worse than that one that have been repaired, one of them is on this forum. It can be done in a weekend with 50 bucks in plate steel and a couple rolls of mig wire.

Looks like you would be best to completely replace the rear of the frame. The roll pans can be replaced completely with new pieces, or cut and patched in. I had to rebuilt one of mine by the back door, wasn't to difficult.

What are you calling the roll pan? Are you referring to the rocker panels? If so, I didn't know they were available. Where did you find them? I am thinking about doing my own out of treadplate.

Oh...there's a Pick and Pull Junk Yard here in SE Wisconsin with 2 pathys for $1000 each. They seem in good shape. If interested, I can give you the # to contact them. One has a bad tranny, and the other one with a blown head. Titles have not been turned into salvage titles yet. I'll check for frame rust tomorrow, heading back to get more parts tomorrow.

Oddly mine is only rusting at that quarter area by the rear door. I wanna get that fixed. But the frame rails aren't rusting at all really. I mean surface rust but that's about it. My rear frame horns however are swiss cheese.

What are you calling the roll pan? Are you referring to the rocker panels? If so, I didn't know they were available. Where did you find them? I am thinking about doing my own out of treadplate.

Yeah, are you gonna cover the rot with the dimond plate, or cut out and replace with it?

Wow, that is some pretty bad rot.

It can be done, but unless you are really strapped for cash or like a challenge, I would suggest to find another truck like the others have said. Problem is that your frame and body are very badly rusted. One or the other would be worth the time to fix, but both will take a lot of time and work to fix.

Sadly there are a lot of trucks that run great but the body/frame are gone. I sold my 94 Cherokee which ran excellent, but the body was starting to really rust out bad. The truck wasn't worth the time or the sheet metal to fix it. So I sold it off and bought the Pathy. The Pathy has some quarter panels needing replacing but the rest is mint. When you roll under the truck, it looks almost brand new underneath.

Sell it for cheap and use the money as a down on another one with a good frame and body. There are hundreds of them out there to choose from.

Hi Again,

Thanks for all the suggestions. As a previous poster pointed out, I feel that the combination of frame and body and fuel tank issues may make this unreasonable for me. Yes since I stopped driving it, I am sure the tank's rusted through as well. I am not very talented with a welder, nor do I own one, so I've found a donor shell. I got very lucky I think, though the 181xxx automatic needs replaced. Plan to convert to five speed before this one would be viable. Sounds like a bearing in the engine's about to go but I think it will do. I know someone with a hoist.

Get this one up and going and then I'll think about the other, but most likely it will be gutted... I have one restoration already in progress atm.

FYI, in my search I found

* a 91 with 201xxx ~$4995 (no rust anywhere)

* a 94-95 with 188xxx ~$3995 (questionable body and interior)

* a 90 xe ~$1000 unknown mileage/condition as it sold in a few days...

* a 90 sentra hatch unknown mileage, but externally looked immaculate $400 (never got a response)

* a handful from 1500 to 3000 in trim levels i wasn't looking for, mostly rusty and missing parts.

* lots of no responses

* nothing in local car mags/classifieds

:blink:

I'm going to start buying rust free pathys and drive them up north/east!!

B

I dunno I live in Duluth, MN and you can find rust free pathys for 1k, I think there may just be more suv type vehicles up here so no one wants to pay alot since there all over. As I got my 95 pathfinder 4x4 w/ limited slip with 91,000 miles for $650 needed a little work but not that much for the price and had no rust couple dings but who cares.

Edited by olddirtyrake

Well a few years ago when I wasn't looking, I must've spotted 6 or more just in downtown Lincoln under 2000. But thinking about it, I rarely see one on the road anymore. We have lots of h/b running around though. I can't imagine this area is harsher than yours... Maybe a lack of demand and overall careless owners? The first owner of mine was meticulous. I have all it's records from every little squeak and rattle it went to the dealership over. The second (previous) must've jumped ditches or ran it across rows because the ...uh tension rod, I want to say was sheared off.

Anyway on to the future rig... Any estimates or tips or both on preventing this time? Suggested treatments? Obviously I want to hose it out, but that never gets everything. I've heard of oil spraying; I guess that may help a bit, for a few months at a time? POR-15?

And what about below the doors, crud is always trapped up in and behind...

Edited by ZombeeXXX

that is way too rusted to fix and have it be worth the time or money.

so here is what you do: take out the engine and trans from pathy, part out or sell the remains. drive your 300zx like its stolen, and when your engine blows up you will have a nice donor to drop right in and replace!

and by the way all those pathfinders listed are way over priced, i paid 1450 for mine and did almost nothing to it been driving it for almost 2 years now.

Edited by Channel595

Here's some initial shots of the body donor.

http://s592.photobucket.com/albums/tt10/Zombee_XXX/Body%20donor/

She looks as if she was parked in a flooded field; mud packed in the middle of the front doorjambs, on top of the tranny and gas tank. Just a mess, but she's coming clean little by little. The more I look at and drive her, the more impressed I am. I say body donor, but more like starting from scratch because more of the little things work even with 181,000 on her. So first the insides are getting gutted and thoroughly cleaned and floorpan issues dealt with. Then truck bed liner or rubberized undercoating for the inside and out

Body_donor027.jpg

Body_donor026.jpg

that is way too rusted to fix and have it be worth the time or money.

so here is what you do: take out the engine and trans from pathy, part out or sell the remains. drive your 300zx like its stolen, and when your engine blows up you will have a nice donor to drop right in and replace!

and by the way all those pathfinders listed are way over priced, i paid 1450 for mine and did almost nothing to it been driving it for almost 2 years now.

I like this idea a lot; though Z is out right now with a popped freeze plug, turbo needing refreshed, and suspension rebuilds. I just bought the donor car for that project. I think the parts z may have a spun bearing so I can't really count it, but that makes 3 runners. And my car has had it's share; it's also the first car I have had stand up to my (aggressive) driving... But a daily driver it is not. Not right now anyway.

• 2 months later...