What's The Single Largest Inherent Flaw In A Wd21 Pathfinder?

88pathoffroad

What's The Single Largest Inherent Flaw In A WD21 Pathfinder?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Choose away!

• Engine problems
    • Transmission problems
    • Frame problems
    • Suspension/steering problems
    • Drivetrain problems
    • There are no aftermarket parts available!
    • They quit making two-doors!
    • Lack of power

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i opted for frame rust, as most folks do not off road their WD-21's, they would never know the flaws of the IFS.

However, for me personally, the IFS would be my first pet peeve.

i can live with the underpowered engine, cuz i am getting old, and off road it means nothing to me (she has plenty of torque, that means everything to me).... and i live in CA so the worst frame rust i've seen is VERY light surface rust on king due to continuous mud baths and no cleansing for days after........ but I have read enough heart breaking stories lately to know the frame rust is the most debilitating disease these trucks have.

all in all, i LOVE em! low CoG, handles like a sports car, awesome off road, gets you outta trouble.. and Mini Me (JGC lift on 31's) is LOWER, (body height) than a Jeep Liberty........ go figure :blink:

Frame and body rust. I seem to have more rust on the driver's side of the vehicle (not sure why). The body seams under the rear seats and driver's floorboard are also really prone to rust. Outside of that, I wish she had 200hp and 200ft/lbs torque.

The weight of the truck is almost more of a flaw than the engine. 4500lbs is a little portly for a midsize suv with a 3 litre v6. anyone know what the d21's weigh?

i voted on trans problems cause my pathy has a really terrible trans whine :( the lack of power isnt to bad i mean my 1,2,3 gears have aLOT of torque yes the aftermarket issmall but come on has most aftermarket parts dont fit like they say and require fab so you might as well but original and fab your own pieces even if your not very good at it because it always feels good to be out on the trail and have someone say "wow ive never seen that" or "i didnt know they made that for out trucks" and you tell them you made it yourself

i said frame, as thats the only thing thats wrong with mine, it has enough power, its not a race car, I found it quite more peppy than our r50 and better on gas!!1. And my auto tranny has 215k miles and no troubles. You should add electrical issues, As I have one of those as well

1. Centerlink design... wtf were they thinking?

100% agree

number 1 problem right there

being in australia, with little snow & no salted roads frame rust really isnt a massive problem. but i can easily see how this could be different you guys who live in snowy areas.

Edited by sw

I voted for Suspension/steering problems.

Reasons:

1) I can deal with a lack of power. Yes it would be fun to have 300+ hp under the hood...but when it comes down to it, our 145 (or there-abouts) does just fine.

2) Engines seem to run forever...no prob there....same with drivetrain...

3) Auto tranny's seem to be on the weak side, but I'm pushing 250k on the original so that's much better then most vehicles

4) They do rust like hell...but mine has lived in Pennsylvania all it's life and the frame is still good, just the body that has rusted. And if you're not wanting your Pathy to win any car shows then you can just fix that yourself pretty easily and cheaply. Also I believe maintenance plays a big part in this...if people would just wash/wax/etc their cars more often we'd be much better off!

5) I would like more aftermarket parts...but that's not a problem with the WD21's so to speak, but more reflective on the industry. Technicality I guess...

6) Two doors do rock. But the "rarity" of the 2-door just makes owning one that much better...

So, having said all of that it seems to me that the only inherent problem is the IFS and weak steering components. Yes, if you don't offroad your Pathy...you won't care one bit...but for those who do, SAS is a no brainer. I would also like to add that LSD should have been stock on all Pathfinders. I don't have it on mine, and that's the biggest problem I encounter. You need LSD before you need a better suspension setup...

But overall...since I bought my Pathy, I have come to love it and worship all WD21's. They're pretty awesome!

:aok:

I would also like to add that LSD should have been stock on all Pathfinders. I don't have it on mine, and that's the biggest problem I encounter. You need LSD before you need a better suspension setup...

Thankfully they did not! :nono: If they had we would not have a locker option ;)

The only thing i have noticed in mine is lack of power. I mean dont get me wrong the vg30 is an amazing engine, mine is going on 230k miles and has never had any work done on the engine. The other thing that sucks is lack of aftermarket parts. There are acouple lift kits and stuff, but no bolt on engine mods.