Steering stabilizer: Rancho or OEM

88pathoffroad

• 11 months later...

Anyone have a list of the bolts/nuts needed to mount the OEM setup? I have the OEM pin and Monroe stabilizer, but its storming here and I'm not digging the idea of crawling under the truck right now.

Anyone have a list of the bolts/nuts needed to mount the OEM setup? I have the OEM pin and Monroe stabilizer, but its storming here and I'm not digging the idea of crawling under the truck right now.

Nevermind, a break in the weather gave me a chance to get it all laid out.

C/L to steering damper - (1) M10x40 metric hex flange bolt and (1) M10, pitch 1.25 metric flange nut

steering damper to damper mounting pin - (1) M8, pitch 1.25 metric flange nut

steering damper pin bracket to chassis - (1) M8x30 metric hex flange bolt (bottom hole on bracket), (1) M8x25 metric hex flange bolt (top hole on bracket)

This thing makes a huge difference in steering smoothness and stability on the highway. Why the heck wasn't it installed on the Pathys? Cost cutting?

Edited by kafercup

• 5 months later...

Pro's:

Smooths steering while driving on rougher roads (onroad)

Helps absorb light to moderate hits while offroad (and onroad potholes)

Con's:

Cost

Some claim it takes away to much steering feedback while driving.

They make a bracket kit for aftermarket replacements such as Rancho thumbsup.gif

RS97268.jpg

Rancho Part Numbers

Kit: RS97268

Shock only: RS5402

Bracket only: RS5533

*we will work on getting the pictures in this thread restored again*

• 6 months later...

I hate reviving dead topics, but this one is kind of confusing. How can the Rancho (or any other aftermarket) SS be tougher than stock when they mount the shock to the CL using nothing but U bolts?

Do they hold up all right? It seems to me that they'd slip under any kind of heavy strain. Is there something I'm missing that keeps this from happening?

BTW: Rock Auto is apparently not stocking the factory damper pin anymore. Any sources other than the dealer?

I hate reviving dead topics, but this one is kind of confusing. How can the Rancho (or any other aftermarket) SS be tougher than stock when they mount the shock to the CL using nothing but U bolts?

Do they hold up all right? It seems to me that they'd slip under any kind of heavy strain. Is there something I'm missing that keeps this from happening?

BTW: Rock Auto is apparently not stocking the factory damper pin anymore. Any sources other than the dealer?

Axles are held on by ubolts and leafsprings....

I don't know about them being STRONGER, but they really don't have to be all that strong in the first place..

Axles are held on by ubolts and leafsprings....

Not mine. :tongue: Besides, I think that system is a bit more complex then the Rancho setup.

They may not need to be strong, but they at least need to put. It just seems to me that they could be shaken loose.

I'm not attacking anyone, I was just wondering if this had ever been a problem.

Anyway, "beefier" was mentioned.

Adam, there are several on-line dealerships that have them for less than $14, but it's another 10 to ship...

I don't know that I have that much faith in my local parts department.

THAT is an awesome find! Thank you for posting a link. I'm all over it.

I'm wondering if the hardware fits the oem holes. Let us know how it goes cause I don't want to get the other setup where I have to shave parts off my center link.

That is all I need to know. Im going to order it tonight.

Ok guys, here is the deal. I looked just about everywhere online and nobody carries the Monroe SA1931 kit. Monroe does not carry it, nor do they make them anymore. My only other option was to order the factory mounting parts from Nissan and buy an Old Man Emu steering stabilizer that fits the factory mounts. I’m just giving everyone a head-up so they don’t waste their time trying to find the Monroe kit.

• 11 months later...

They may not need to be strong, but they at least need to put. It just seems to me that they could be shaken loose.

I'm not attacking anyone, I was just wondering if this had ever been a problem.

Anyway, "beefier" was mentioned.

I just installed my rancho kit on Saturday. I was worried about the u-bolt installation myself, but after torquing everything down, I have no doubts it will hold up. The bracket is held onto the CL by two ubolts with nylock nuts. Doesn't want to budge at all.

Looking at pics of the OEM monroe stablizer, it does seem that then Rancho 5000 shock supplied is a bit larger.

I got the kit for christmas from my brothers, they in turn bought it from AC.

40735032435832928311364.jpg

Took me about an hour and a half to install it, including grinding the stock tabs on my grassroots CL. I had a head start because my skid plate was already off. By far one of the easier to install mods I've done to this truck. Really like it's effect on steering too.

• 4 weeks later...

Installed my SS today as well on my Hardbody...The bracket on the C/L is SO close to the diff. mount...need to do fine tuning tomorrow.

Put mine in the opposite way though..

IMG00713-20120225-1306.jpg

• 1 month later...

I found all the parts here at nissanpartszone.com......The part numbers match the 92 Pathfinder....everything but the shock cost $23.24 without shipping.....I am gonna order from them so I don't have to dig and hunt for bolts and nuts and washers all over the place......I found the Monroe shock that 88 talked about at Pepboys for $31-32. Hope this link helps any and all that are looking to do this upgrade!!!

I personally wouldn't bother with any of the stock SS's, whether they are OEM or made by Monroe, most stock shocks really suck, the manufacturers use the cheapest shocks they can get away with, this excludes vehicles that come with bilsteins or similar, if your going to add a SS might as well upgrade to a Rancho or another aftermarket brand. Just look at the difference in the shocks themselves, there is no comparison between the Rancho shock and the OEM shock.