Steering stabilizer: Rancho or OEM

88pathoffroad

They make stud/bolt extraction kits.

Basically you just hit the broken bolt dead center with a punch. Then drill a hole in the middle of the broken bolt and follow that with the stud extractor. Which is something like a screw with reverse threads... only a whole lot stronger. You turn it left to drive it into the hole you drilled in the broken bolt.

After it gets deep enough into the bolt to get a good grip on it the bolt starts to turn out. Unless it is so stuck that it will not move. In that case you need to drill it out completely and either retread the hole to a larger size and use larger bolts or after re threading it, install a Helicoil and use the original size bolts.

so after 3 days of spraying constantly and almost using the whole can. I break off the 2 bolt heads I try to get off...next option.

Well, then I guess I will refer you to a prior post :shrug:

They make stud/bolt extraction kits.

Basically you just hit the broken bolt dead center with a punch.  Then drill a hole in the middle of the broken bolt and follow that with the stud extractor.  Which is something like a screw with reverse threads... only a whole lot stronger.  You turn it left to drive it into the hole you drilled in the broken bolt.

After it gets deep enough into the bolt to get a good grip on it the bolt starts to turn out. Unless it is so stuck that it will not move.  In that case you need to drill it out completely and either retread the hole to a larger size and use larger bolts or after re threading it, install a Helicoil and use the original size bolts.

• 6 months later...

The Rancho that was installed when I bought my car has an issue. The bracket that holds it into place has broken. When I get a new one (Rancho Part #RS130007), do I need to jack it up or do anything special to make it fit?

• 1 year later...
Most Pathfinders came without a steering stabilizer. If you want to mount one on your Pathy, this information and thread is for you.

A thread already exists discussing installation of the Rancho steering stablizer on a Pathfinder. It can be found here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1044

The Rancho setup mounts to the passenger's side frame, like this:

SSinstallrancho.jpg

From post #1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Not hard at all for a machinist/fab guy. I have 2 brand new Pro Comp 1000 stabilizers in the garage. 1 is going on the new truck once I replace the CL with a hoohaa version, the other will be sold. All that's really needed is a drop bracket, swivel mount or the like. Why do you ask?

B

BTW, Howdy Headpeas! It's been a while...

Well I want to install one but sheesh the price for the shock is around $30 but when I try to find anything with "everything included" the price is around $60 - $75

I just thought if I could get some bar stock and cut/drill something that it would be cheaper?? But then again I'm not a big welder/fabber guy. Thought I might be able to save some $$

And yes my friend it has, good to see your back a bit more now, I noticed a while there where you were seldom on. I just check in once in a while much more than I post anymore. And you got a new PF?

You wanna sell one of those soon??

Edited by headpeace

And yes my friend it has, good to see your back a bit more now, I noticed a while there where you were seldom on. I just check in once in a while much more than I post anymore. And you got a new PF?

You wanna sell one of those soon??

Yeah, I took a break there for a bit. Life got too distracting... :shrug:

Don't be too much of a stranger though!! :D

Yeah, I bought a stock 95xe with 96k miles on it for $3300. A bunch of new parts, vehicle is about 95% condition. I'm pretty happy with it and have a bunch of the usual mods slated for spring (BL, SL, headers, exhaust, etc). The old 95 is going to be parted out, the front frame damage makes it junk and I couldn't justify a SAS. If I had more time/money/room I'd do it as a trail rig, but that's not the case today.

I'm off for the next two weeks so I'll dig in the garage then. Yes, I'll sell you one but let me see what kind of brackets I need to make for you first.

Yes, rock auto has a stabilizer bracket ( RANCHO Part # RS5533) for $23.79 but no picture so I don't know what to expect...

B

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, rock auto has a stabilizer bracket ( RANCHO Part # RS5533) for $23.79 but no picture so I don't know what to expect...

B

I got my stock one from the dealer for 16 dollars. And I got the monroe shock from rockauto for 29.99. But beware, it didn't come with a metal shield like 88's pic OR a Boot :shiftyeyes:

• 4 weeks later...