Steering stabilizer: Rancho or OEM

88pathoffroad

Most Pathfinders came without a steering stabilizer. If you want to mount one on your Pathy, this information and thread is for you.

A thread already exists discussing installation of the Rancho steering stablizer on a Pathfinder. It can be found here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1044

Other information that is useful to know:

The pin which mounts on the frame near the steering box is Nissan Part # 48612-31G00. The frame already has threaded holes that match this part...however, you will have to buy your own bolts and washers. Cost is approximately $9 or less for the Nissan bracket and hardware store generic metric bolts.

Part # for a standard OEM Monroe replacement stabilizer shock is SC2939. Again, no bolts, washers, or nuts are included. One end fits the Nissan pin and the other end fits the existing mounting bracket on the Pathfinder centerlink. Cost is approximately $30, much less than the $60 Nissan OEM stabilizer.

Comparatively, the Rancho kit is $45 for the shock itself and about $20 more for the bracket kit to install it, plus you have to either remove or modify the centerlink brackets so they don't hit on the Rancho setup.

The OEM setup mounts to the driver's side frame, like so:

SSinstallOEM.jpg

The Rancho setup mounts to the passenger's side frame, like this:

SSinstallrancho.jpg

Hope this helps!

'Bout half an hour to take off the skidplate, unbolt the idler arm bolts and put the new ones in, another half-hour to bolt on the new bracket, open up the box and put together the stabilizer and u-bolt bracket, then another half-hour to put it all together and put the skidplate back on. Maybe an hour and a half tops?

Oh wait, that doesn't include messing with the stock CL SS brackets. Bend them out of the way with a crescent wrench or cut them off with an angle grinder...either way it'll only take a few minutes.

Yeah, its insanely easy to do... I didn't have a skidplate so I didn't have to worry about that, so I'd say about an hour TOPS... mostly because it took me a while to grind off the centerlink brackets, I was using a compressed air cutoff wheel so the compressor kept running out of air. =) Its completely cake, especially if you play around before you actually go out to install, read the directions and check the parts so you know what you're doing. Should take an average Joe about a half-hour to do it all without any hang-ups.

• 2 months later...

OK, so what exactly has to be done to the centerlink to install the Steering Stabilizer?

I couldn't find an actual write up of the process.

Will be doing this when I get my ProComp shock package from 4WheelParts.

There are two little tabs on the centerlink that allow for the installation of an OEM steering stabilizer. In order for the new SS to fit properly, you need to grind down / cut off these tabs. Piece of cake. ;)

Hey guys.... I just called my Nissan dealer and checked about the pin that goes into the frame... they want $24 for it! now i havent had much luck at this dealer either so maybe the trend just continues... does anyone know what thread that pin is? Im wondering if I can make one out of some graded steel threaded stock?

thanks guys..

pat

Hey guys.... I just called my Nissan dealer and checked about the pin that goes into the frame... they want $24 for it! now i havent had much luck at this dealer either so maybe the trend just continues... does anyone know what thread that pin is? Im wondering if I can make one out of some graded steel threaded stock?

thanks guys..

pat

Not sure of the threads, but the local dealer wanted $17. I went to a local boneyard and got the pin, all associated bolts for both ends, and the stabilizer for $15 off of a similar year Hardbody truck. It only takes a couple min's to remove and to install. :secret:

• 7 months later...

My sincere thanks to 88!

Using the listed part numbers, I ordered the stock pin from North Texas Nissan, a Monroe damper from Rock Auto, spent about 1/2 hour rummaging through my spare bolt supply, and DING, we have dampage.

Very nice improvement when driving on rough roads.

THANK YOU for taking the time to share this info with us! :clap:

Thinking out loud... I wonder why Rancho is selling a "universal" damper in the kit rather than using the Monroe damper with a red paint job? Has anybody compared them side by side? Does the Rancho version use a larger rod or body or have different damping rates? Just curious...

(For those who didn't know, Rancho and Monroe are both brand names owned by Tenneco, and I sure there is some amount of cross badging of hardware)

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

sorry I kinda dissapeared from the face of the earth..but im back now! haha. so I have no idea what I was talking about up there, but umm I have a bigger problem. I can't even get to that because the bolts on my skid plate are rusted through and through I tried taking 1 off and the head snapped right off of it.

suggestions?

Lots and lots of PB Blaster (penetrating oil) "at least" a day of regular applications of it. longer would be better. Then carefaully try and remove the others. Any that break will need to be extracted. Replace ALL of them with new :aok: