Rear Spring Options For Lifting Your WD21 Pathy

88pathoffroad

ok soo im a bit confused reading 6 of these 8 pages... but i think i got it....

JGC I6 front coils gives 1.5" of lift in the rear the pathy's?

JGC V8 front coils gives 3" of lift in the rear of the pathys?

When I used I6 springs I got NO LIFT. there was a 4.0 inline and a 2.8 v6 side by side in the jy and the springs were Idenical. Both of them were XJ's.

Now the ZJ or Grand cherokee with the I6 may give some lift but I do not know.

I think your best bet is to get a caliper and go by wire diameter not engine type.

agreed. There were lots of variations on suspension packages for the jeeps. It's tough to figure out what you are looking at unless you decode the VIN. Much easier just to measure the coils..

• 1 month later...

Just got done putting jgc springs on my path. I got about an inch and a half of lift out of them witch is enough for now. The back end set lower after cranking the front suspension up. So now she sits level. It took me about 45 min to do (since I read this forum about 20 times). Want to say thanks to 88 theres alot of great info and it saved me from lugging half my tool box to the salvage yard.

Edited by jwmyers23

• 2 months later...

Tomorrow is Upull-IT day hehe, of wrote extensive notes on the spings, and will run down there, caliper in hand and look for my springs,

thanks alot guys for all the helpfull info. will post pic's when done.

scara

• 2 months later...

just did it with a .56 18" long spring gave me 2.5" of lift, i have a 4 door with the spare tire in the in trunk compartment. I paid only 16$ for the JGC springs. only cut half of half of a row of the pigtail exactly the opposite from it and use the same rubber for the top i had to cut half of the inner rubber to make it fit to the 3" of the top mount of the spring. its a lot more stiffer and now i can go on highway with less wedging side to side...

didnt know i needed to use spring compressors so i use tie-rap and benders (red neck) but my tie-rap are the one that police use now for handcuffs 1/2" wide and 36" long used 5 for removal and 5 for reinstall plus a binder. i also had to remove both bottom of shocks and the left panhard screw to have more rooms so i only had to compress springs to 15.5"/16".

i painted then Kawasaki green so its really nice looking i plan on repainting some other parts this color.

some at the end with 31x10.5x15

34.75 front

35.75 rear

i need to get the front realigned a bit tho!

Edited by tropicana

A couple of notes that I'd thought I'd relate to everyone from my experiences pulling JGC coils so far:

The shocks are easier to unbolt from the bottom, not the top. Trying to unbolt from the top you have to fight with engine components and more often than not you just end up spinning the shock cover (not sure exactly what it's called, it's the long cylinder at the top). To unbolt from the bottom you have to remove two bolts that hold the shock to the suspension, use a small ratchet and wrench, it's a tight fit.

The springs DO NOT just want to fall out. I'v found it's easiest to have another person (preferably somebody heavy) to stand on the hub while you twist the spring off. Jumping up and down on the hub helps unseat the springs too. I haven't tried using a pry bar yet, I think that would help a lot.

The tags are on about 90% of the springs I'v looked at. To clarify what the tag is it's a piece of paper attached to the springs (that confused me at first just reading the first post of this thread). Check all the springs! I'v found FN (.56" diameter) tagged springs on I6 pathfinders! So don't just disqualify a JGC because it doesn't have a V8.

I just put a pipe wrench around the shock cover to unscrew it, easy fix...

Was a total PITA to get the rear springs in, but I ended up using a gooseneck bar to pry the old ones off and a 4' piece of 2" wide 1/4 thick over the drum and onto the seat, and basically just shoved the compressed spring into place, and wacked it with a hammer for a while before it finally slipped in...

Getting em out was just as difficult, I had to use the spring compressors on the stock ones to....again, total PITA

Edited by OldSlowReliable

just use big tie-wraps , if u take big tie-wraps u can keep the spring compressed to remove it its a red-neck way and pretty handy in a JY, and for putting them in the back i used a strap bender and compressed it then put tie-wraps at around 15"½ to get them fit perfectly with both rubber top and bottom only cut the pigtail half a row.

Hey Guys and Gals, i found a spring option from a company in Canada. They say on their site, they can do Coils, Leafs, Nissan,yes. custom, offroad, lift or lowering, "...including custom and high articulation applications. Custom applications and designs are welcome." http://www.otto-max.com/index.html :clickdalink: It looks cool anyway, check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have pictures that work. The original post ones arrnt working for me.

also the damaged reality write up isn't working for me and i'd really like to be able to read it as i finally have time to do this and really want to. going to call the junk yard tomorrow to see what they have.

Old ford coils work. That's what I'm using for my 2.5"-3" lift in the rear. I do a lot of towing so the spring rate is pretty high. They also want to fall out at full droop. Most folks use Jeep XJ v8 springs or jeep ZJ springs.

• 3 months later...

Just got some JGC springs from LKQ, $10 bucks a piece. They had tons of them. I picked one with a front gwr of 2750 most of them were 2500. The front axle was allready dropped with the shocks gone so aside from undoing the wrong bolts they came out pretty easy. I found steping on the hub and twisting the spring at the same time worked for getting them to come out. I printed this post off and took it to the junk yard it was very helpful. Plan on putting them on soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the AC 3" lift coils and I love how they ride. I am glade I went ahead and spent the money on them, with the spare tire on back and standard wheeling gear in back they are just right for offroad performance.

I would love to get my Terrano upstairs...

Will these make the Terrano lose his confort? I don't want that to happen, what do you say?

Make him taller will, no matter which way, get it harder?

My old springs had been chopped 4 lowering it so I got allot better ride when i swapped mine in, but I cant tell you from stock but i can tell you they have a nice ride quality on the street.

• 1 year later...

So, will WJ front springs fit and give a lift ?

Can get bloody hundreds of those here in uk, but v8 zj springs are like hens teeth

These are them:

P1010114-2.jpg

• 3 months later...

There were several different springs/diameters used, so without that information there is no way to tell if something bought online will give you... no lift, or x amount of lift.

You'll have to do your research here on the forums, ask sellers for specific information and pray that they are not lying.

Then of course there is the age of the springs and just how fatigued they are... all that will play into the amount of lift they will, or will not provide.

http://www.ebay.com/...5bc5ac0&vxp=mtr Will these help me get close to a 3 inch lift in the rear?

The seller specified that those springs are from the I6 and not from the V8.

In the first page of this thread there is a little chart that is posted that will help you ask him the right questions

part num code dia tag color

52001117 FH - .500 (grey)

52088102 FJ - .520 (green)

52088103 FK - .530 (yellowish. old part number 52001119)

52088181 FL - .540

52088361 FM - .550 (blue)

52088362 FN - .560 (yellow) [definately yellow, just got a pair]

52088104 GK

52088105 GL

52088363 GN - .600

52089141 GP

52089171 DL

Ask if he can measure the thickness of the coil. I just bought mine yesterday out of a 96' but it was the 5.2l and the springs have a small blue sticker on them. Or if he could identify the color of the sticker if there is one.

So the springs i used were the blue ones and ended up with 2.75in of lift in the rear. Then cranked on the torsions .5in and that gave me 1.75 in the front. drove 40km home after doing the swap and it rides damn near the same. Feels like a proper truck and the camber doesnt look off to the eye but an alignment and shimming is next.

I found this install to be easier that rotating the tires, less nuts to remove!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I find my WD21 rides nicely, if not better with the JGC springs. Not harsh or jarring, but shocks will influence that as well.

So, will WJ front springs fit and give a lift ?

Can get bloody hundreds of those here in uk, but v8 zj springs are like hens teeth

These are them:

P1010114-2.jpg

Or these from a '96 jeep cherokee

$(KGrHqF,!pkE8Wk5k)6nBPo6lbet4Q~~60_12.JPG

Stinka, I measured the diameter of the coil for another member yesterday and they were .545". The only othe factor would be the length (after you cut off the pigtail if necessary). Unfortunately I don't have the OAL, but I am POSITIVE it is been discussed and recorded here as well. The question is where... :unsure:

B

• 2 months later...