Post your Favorite Recipies

Precise1

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

My dad and I made this a little while ago, it was pretty good. I got it from "mr. breakfast"

Hungarian Omelette

(1 serving)

* 1 teaspoon olive oil

* 1 small onion -- sliced

* 1/4 small red pepper -- seeded and sliced

* 2 medium sized tomatoes -- skinned and sliced

* 1 teaspoon paprika

* pinch of salt

* 2 eggs -- beaten

* chopped fresh parsley or chives to garnish

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onion and pepper gently until soft.

Add the tomatoes and paprika and cook gently for a further five minutes until the mixture is soft and pulpy. Add a little salt to season.

Heat the remaining oil in an omelet pan. Beat 2 tablespoons water into the eggs to lighten the mixture and then use to make an omelet.

Fill the omelet with the tomato mixture and serve sprinkled that chopped parsley or chives.

Hungary has a population of about 10,106,017 (July 2001 est.). Its capital is Budapest. Ninety-nine percent of Hungarian speak Hungarian. The Hungarian word for breakfast is "reggeli". The customary greeting in Hungary is "Minden jót -- gyorsan reggeli!", which translates to "Nice day -- great breakfast!"

You bastard. Now I'm hungry! :new576:

Here's one badass wing recipe I came up with at the lake last summer:

Drunken Garlic Butter Wings

20-24 chicken wings/drummettes

1 bottle of beer (at room temperature)

4-6 generous T. butter

3-4 large cloves garlic

cracked pepper

This has usually been made without any real direction, and while I have been half in the bag after a solid day of outdoor activity.

First, you'll want to prepare the marinade. Put the butter into the bowl and microwave until melted. Feel free to add more butter as needed (if you're the fat-conscious type, add olive oil). Next you'll want to prepare the garlic and mix into the melted butter. I recommend a garlic press as it allows the juices to flow more freely in comparison to fine chopping. Next comes the beer. Feel free to use any kind you prefer. I've made this recipe four times now, using different brands each time: MGD, Budweiser, Stella Artois and Kirin Ichiban Shibori. Make sure the beer is at room temperature! If it's cold, it'll coagulate the butter and ruin the marinade. Mix the marinade thoroughly.

In a larger container (I use a 14"x14"x4") place wings evenly to allow for marinade saturation. Pour the marinade evenly over the wings and mix if necessary. Cover and refrigerate for 45-60mins.

BBQ on med-med high heat, turning every few minutes. The longer they marinate, the less time they'll take to cook. I've aimed for 15-18 mins. total cook time. Anything more than 20 mins. and they'll dry out. Serve and enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Just a down and dirty soup I made the other day since things a cold and wet around here. I though it would be ok but it turned out to be quite good..

Sausage bean soup

1 cup celery, chopped

1 cup carrots, chopped

2 cups yellow onion, chopped

2-100 cloves garlic minced

1+ lb smoked sausage, chopped (I used 'Lil smokies but kielbasa/whatever would be fine)

1 russet potato, diced

6-8 black pepper corns

1 tsp rosemary

1 tsp thyme

salt

6 cups chicken broth

14 oz can corn, rinsed and drained

14 oz can Black Beans, rinsed and drained

14 oz can Kidney Beans,rinsed and drained

14 oz can white beans,rinsed and drained

14 oz can diced tomato

14 oz chopped spinach

In a 6 qt+ pot, cook sausage, drain, blot and set aside.

Saute onion and garlic (add salt and pepper lightly) for a few minutes.

Add celery and carrots, saute for a few minutes.

Add sausage, potatos and spices. Saute for a few minutes.

Add chicken broth, tomatos and corn, bring to a boil.

Add beans and boil for 20-30 minutes.

Add Spinach and boil for 5 minutes.

Season to taste, shouldn't need much.

Eat up the hearty soup!!

B

Mexican Tamales

I love them :D

Ingredients:

My wife recipe

* 1 kg. cornmeal or "cacahuazintle" (2.2 lbs)

* 1 soup spoon of baking powder

* 1 1/2 cups of lard.

* 1/2 chicken broth.

* 10 tomato husk

* 2 soup spoons of anise.

* Very well washed corn leaves.

* Salt. (or sugar for candy tamales).

Procedure:

Boil in two cups of water, the tomato husk with the anise. Strain and keep water apart in a container

boil the chicken, once boiled pickled in small pieces

In a plastic pan place the cornmeal.add the salt and baking powder.

Half melt the lard or butter and pour into the previous mix.

start to knead and gradually add the chicken broth and the tomato water where the husk where boiled, until you have a uniform texture until you can make a ball of dough floating in water without disrupting.

Wash perfectly the corn leaves and let them on water for around 1 hour and drain them. Take one or two make thin strips like a thread

Take leave by leave taking care to avoid them to get broken. place a portion of dough add salsa green or red and a the chicken pieces one or two by tamal depending of the size of the leaves you can also add white cheese or any other meal. then involve and tie with a strip in both sides

Use a tamal can special designed to create bath or internally place water inside lower than the grill and place tamales in vertical way as shown

vaporera_34_con_div.jpg

cook around one hour checking them continually until it is easily deduced tear off the leave from the tamal.

and that's it

Here is one I came up with today...

Garlic Onion Soup

12-100 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly

1 large red onion, chopped (you can use any onion,I suspect Maui sweet onion would be very good)

1 tbsp olive oil (I use garlic olive oil :) )

1 tbsp butter

1 10oz can condensed beef consume (beef broth is fine, about 3 cups total)

1 can of water if using condensed

1/4 cup dry white wine (I prefer sauvignon blanc for cooking)

1/2 bay leaf

1/2 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp oregano

1 tsp dried parsley

1/2 tsp garlic salt

1 tbsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp white pepper

dash or two of cayenne pepper

Melt butter with olive oil in deep pan or pot over medium heat

Gently saute onions for 20 minutes over medium low heat with black pepper and garlic salt.

Cook but do not overly brown the onions

Add garlic and saute another 5 minutes

Add all other ingredients/liquids and bring to a boil

Cover and allow to slowly simmer for 20-30 minutes

Serve with croutons, french bread toast, Parmesan Cheese and fresh parsley

Delicious and good for colds.

B

1 container of cottage chees

1 container of sour cream

1 packet of hidden valley ranch mix

Mix all together in bowl, let sit in fridge about an hour or so (or not if you're impatient).

Eat with ruffles regular style or mix it up with ruffles sour cream and chedder or any type of chips really.

Fast and easy and perfect for any type of snacking.

-Colby

1 container of cottage chees

1 container of sour cream

1 packet of hidden valley ranch mix

Mix all together in bowl, let sit in fridge about an hour or so (or not if you're impatient).

Eat with ruffles regular style or mix it up with ruffles sour cream and chedder or any type of chips really.

Fast and easy and perfect for any type of snacking.

-Colby

That's a killer dip! :aok:

My mom's got a variation, using Miracle whip instead of cottage cheese and adding fresh dill. Good with fresh veggies, crackers, chips, etc...

Excellent for parties! :beer:

That's a killer dip! :aok:

My mom's got a variation, using Miracle whip instead of cottage cheese and adding fresh dill. Good with fresh veggies, crackers, chips, etc...

Excellent for parties! :beer:

mmmm sounds good, I'll have to try that!

Brazilian Barbecue - Gaucho Barbecue

• Large and wide peace of a young cow ribs. We call it window ribs.
  • Sea Salt
  • Lots of fire for 4 hours or more

:aok:

This is the traditional way

Costela1.JPG

and this is how I usually do:

cost_reche.a.jpg

Now I'm hungry...

• 3 weeks later...

Roasted butternut squash

1 average size butternut squash

olive oil

salt and pepper

Turn on the oven to 375o F.

Peel the squash, and dice into 1"x1"x1" cubes. Using a medium-sized mixing bowl, lightly coat the cubes in olive oil. Then evenly spread the cubes on a baking pan and add salt pepper to taste.

Place the pan in the oven and roast for about 25-30 mins, occasionally moving the cubes around as necessary. Once roasted, the cubes should be soft and lightly goldened on the outside. Serve with your favourite meat dish and enjoy! :aok:

Bacon, wrapped in meat, wrapped in bacon, life just doesnt get any better. Perhaps, bacon wrapped in bacon, then wrapped in meat, then bacon again.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone have any tips for home made french fries? (skillet or oven baked)

B

My mom's got a mean recipe for sweet potato fries a la home made.

As for your run-of-the-mill potato, fries are pretty straight-forward, no? Cutting 'em the right thickness and then oven baking with a bit of S&P. A classic. :aok:

Err, what is the right thickness? What temp/time to bake? Soak first or not? Cut and freeze before skillet fry?

Yes, they are made of potatos, I know that. I wanted some tips on how to prepare them, you silly Canadian!! :D

B

Something like this...

Ingredients:

3 potatoes

2 tablespoons melted margarine or butter

1 teaspoon minced garlic

2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

1/4 teaspoon paprika

Turn this recipe into a puzzle! [click]

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with vegetable spray. Scrub potatoes and cut lengthwise into 8 wedges. Put on prepared baking sheet.

Combine margarine and garlic in a small bowl. Combine Parmesan and paprika in another small bowl. Brush potato wedges with half of the margarine and cheese mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes, turn the wedges, brush with remaining margarine mixture (reheat if necessary). Sprinkle on remaining Parmesan mixture, and bake for another 20 minutes or just until potatoes are tender and crisp.

OR...

LOW FAT HOMEMADE OVEN FRIES

4 sm. baking potatoes (about 1 lb.)

1 tbsp. butter, melted

1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

1/4 tsp. paprika

1/8 tsp. onion powder (optional)

Non-stick spray coating

Scrub potatoes thoroughly. Cut each potato lengthwise into 8 slices. Brush cut surface of potatoes lightly with melted butter.

In a plastic bag, combine Parmesan cheese, garlic salt, paprika and onion powder, if desired. Add 8 potato slices to the bag. Shake to coat; potatoes will not be completely coated. Spray a 11 x 7 x 1 1/2 inch baking dish with non-stick coating. Arrange potatoes in baking pan. Repeat with remaining potatoes. Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 3 to 4 servings.

• 4 weeks later...
Err, what is the right thickness? What temp/time to bake? Soak first or not? Cut and freeze before skillet fry?

Yes, they are made of potatos, I know that. I wanted some tips on how to prepare them, you silly Canadian!! :D

B

Something like this...

OR...

...silly Canadian!!...tssssssss... potatoes...yes, you slice them the thickness you like best...french fries look alike...i hate oven fries unless you do ''barquettes de quartier de pomme de terre'' ( that is a italian recipe) you know ? you put olive oil on top the raw quarters of potatoes you spread basilic and parmesan ... on a flat pan...you throw every thing ( la plaque )in the oven at 300 degrees...it has to cook slowly... i know it still doesn't give you the french fries recipe, but only change is the cut ...but for the french fries you return them once in a while...

...but, but, i like french fries in peanut oil... expensive but less than synthetic oil...in a deep-frying pan...it is the best oil to use to get the best taste out of french fries...and the deep-frying pan (cast iron or electric ) makes the best fries...without drying them inside... as for the oven...which is not the case for the italian ones because the cut is bigger...get it ?? just to prouve you than Canadian...is just a f..n image of a flag in the eye of the beholder...the rest is politics...and we all know it's...s...omething else !! Happy ?

P.S. there are different kind of potatoes also that are more convenient for fries...the hardest potatoes are best... and Non-stick spray coating or margarine refers to cooking as much as it refers to engine oil... beside their properties of non sticking...both do not contribute to exhort the taste out of anything eatable...Just ask French or italian people... frankly...not to use in cooking...

P.S. does ''Vegans'' means...vegetarians ?

Edited by Pinip

I don't have a deep frier and try to avoid deep fried foods in general.

and Non-stick spray coating or margarine refers to cooking as much as it refers to engine oil... beside their properties of non sticking...both do not contribute to exhort the taste out of anything eatable...Just ask French or italian people... frankly...not to use in cooking...

I am in complete agreement, neither one can be found in my house... ;)

P.S. does ''Vegans'' means...vegetarians ?

Vegans are psychotic vegetarians, They will not eat anything that came from an animal be it milk, butter, eggs etc. :crazy:

B

• 1 month later...

Here is a pretty darn good marinade I 'invented' (adapted from plagerized material) the other day.

1/4 cup Soy sauce (I use less sodium type)

1/4 cup Orange juice (I use fresh, not concentrated)

2-3 tblsp Sherry (I use dry sherry)

1-99 Cloves of garlic, chopped (I used 6 and some garlic juice)

1/2-1 tsp Marjoram

1/4 tsp Black pepper (More if you like pepper and/or don't use the white pepper)

1/4 tsp White pepper (Hell, use cayenne if you want...)

Mix it up good, pour over steak and let it sit for a few hours minimum then cook it!!

I doubled up the recipe and used it on a 4lb London Broil that I kept in a marinading container in the fridge for 24 hours then BBQed it.

Delicious!! There is still some in the fridge waiting to be munched on...

:beer:

B

• 2 weeks later...

kafta:

Ingredients:

1lb hamburger

1/2 lb pork sausage

1 sauted onion

pinch of P&S

1t turmeric

1/2t cumin seed powder

1T or 2 chopped cilantro or parsley (you can also try epezote)

some bread crumbs to make it stiffer

Method

mix all the ingredients just like you would to make hamburgers. basically mince it.

then take about racquetball's worth into your hand and roll it out.. like a cigar.

thence push a skewer through it. (the flatter the skewer the better.. ME ones are about 1in wide)

then commence grilling.. 5 min on each side or so.. you kind of have to pay attention.

serve with your favorites. i made veggie kabobs seen in the pic below and steamed couscous. plain kefir or plain yogurt goes great with this.

img4185.jpg

img4189x.jpg

edit: this amount makes about 6 kaftas.