Post your Favorite Recipies

Precise1

Well, as most good ideas are, this one is not mine. Thanks to MZ for planting the seed. Well, telling me actually... :D

I love good food, so years ago I learned to cook by trial and error. After many burnt or disgusting results, I managed to become fairly good. I'm no chef by any means, but here are a few that are simple and remarkably good !! I'm sure I'll come up with more later.

Post a favorite recipe or 9 !!

Sherried Pork Tenderloin with vegies

1 pork tenderloin aprox 1.5 lb :shrug:

(you could probably use chops, etc also)

1/2 cup dry sherry

2 tbl spoons soy sauce

1/2 tsp black pepper

4-10,000 cloves of garlic

(I add fresh rosemary)

1/2 cup chopped onions

1/4 cup chopped carrots

1/4 cup chopped celery

1/4 cup chopped mushrooms

(I throw in a leek also)

Mix the sherry, soy sauce, pepper, garlic (and rosemary) and marinade the porkloin in it for 1-2 hours. Remove pork loin and brown on all sides in a large pan.

Then add all other ingredients including the marinade to the pan, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve over pasta or long grain rice. Slice thin...

Simple but elegant meal thats just plain Fing delicious !!!

Note, 0 salt added...

B

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's another favorite for crock pot owners. I love mine !! Fill it, plug it in, go to work, come home, dinner is ready. I open the door, smell it and call out "Honey, I'm home !!". (I live alone) :P

Chicken Nachos

1 bag tortilla chips

4-6 chicken breasts

1 jar (12 oz) picante sauce

(I use more for drippy goodness)

2 cups monterey jack (or favorite)

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup guacamole

(recomended) 1/2 cup celantro, 1/2 cup green onions....

line bottom of slow cooker with tortilla chips

arrange chicken over top, pour picante sauce over all

cook low for 8 hours (4 high)

before serving, add cheese and wait till melted

remove and serve with sour cream, guac, and xtras with tortilla chips...

B

Ok, one more for the snacker...

Hummus

1 can unsweetened garbanzo beans (save 1/4 juice)

1/8-1/4 cup olive iol

4-6 Tblsp tahini (toasted sesame seed paste)

1/2-1 lemon juice

salt & Pepper

Garlic... LOTS

spices.... your choice

paprica, tumeric, cumin

1/2 tsp sesame oil

food process, adjust to taste and consistancy...

This is more of a taste as you go recipe...

Of course there is room for olives, feta cheese,

roasted peppers, whatever... :aok:

B

Pezzy's specialty:

BEER-BATTER-BREAD.jpg

Beer Batter Bread

Really quick & easy to make, I much prefer to make this than lug out the bread maker!

Ingredients:

3 cups flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

3 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 bottle (12 ounces) beer, at room temperature

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.

Add the beer all at once, mixing as little as possible; the batter should be lumpy.

Pour the batter into a 9-x-5-x-3-inch loaf pan and brush with the melted butter.

Bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.

Turn out onto a rack to cool.

Makes 1 loaf.

Edited by Pezzy

The extent of my cooking ability is as follows:

Bar-B-'d Teryaki Chicken:

1 bottle of jack daniels (for self)

3 bottles of Kikkoman teryaki/honey pineapple marinade

10-12 boneless/skinless chicken breasts

fill large bowl with Kikkoman

clean chicken and drop in bowl

stir around for all over even dousing

*take shot of jack*

put lid on bowl and set in fridge for 2-4 hours.. when in a rush.. no need to marinade

go outside and ligth bar-b-q. Charcoal is best for purest taste, but propane works inna pinch

after marinade is up.. place chicken on q and cook. turn every 5-7 minutes, and baste with a brush with left-over teryaki. to cook to a juicy, but safe level, takes about 35-45 minutes when cooked slow for best results.

there you have it. :beer: -thnkboutit-

Edited by Slick

Dude, If I could afford several kilo's of shrimp and still buy good beer, I'd be happy. Actually, I ride out to the coast and get 50-100 pound bag of oysters and do the same thing sometimes... ;) MMMMM, it's all good !!

B

Dude, If I could afford several kilo's of shrimp and still buy good beer, I'd be happy.

I used to work for a company that caught and produced shrimp... employees had a lot of free shrimp available... well, you know, at some point I even started to hate shrimp)))

I still have a friend in that company, so from time to time I buy some shrimp from him for about $3 per kilo. Actually, I have 2 kilos at home right now... so as soon as its Friday, I'll have a little beer+shrimp party))

By the way, what is your favorite beer?

Edited by Terrano

By the way, what is your favorite beer?

Thats hard as I have done extensive research... ;) There is no 1 favorite, but I lean towards the darker, heavier beers. Russian Imperial Stout, German Dopple Bocks, Oktoberfest beers yet I still like a lot of pilsners and lagers like Stella Artois and Pilsner Urquell... There is always room for a good brown ale !!

I could see too much of anything getting old fast, but I love shrimp !! It's hard to find shrimp (say 35 count and less) for less than $15 a kilo and that would be frozen... I grab when I can !! :D

Have fun with your party !! :cool2:

B

Thats hard as I have done extensive research...  ;)  There is no 1 favorite, but I lean towards the darker, heavier beers. 

I like dark beer, but cannot drink much of it... too heavy.. I prefer light brands... most of all I like Japanese beer (Asahi or Sapporo), believe me it is even better than famous German brands. I can be in one of the two conditions: craving for beer or drinking beer. No third option ))))

EDIT: yeah, I will have fun with my party -alcohol- ... if I don't have to go to work on Saturday

Edited by Terrano

From lowriders '101 ways to woo ---- an unofficial guide to bachelordom'

Elias' foolproof date -- the nice thing is this meal goes good any time of year, and the ingredients aren't seasonally-specific, the salad recipie i got online and it's fantastic, the rest is original. Including the wine, depending how expensive your pallet is, to buy every ingredient you need shouldn't cost you more than $120-$140; and compared to what you'd get in a restaurant for that, it's a good bargain, not to mention the accolades you'll recieve from your g/f or b/f.

Wine selection (use your favorite brands and vineyards you know & trust)

Predinner wine - a light shiraz or valpolicella

Dinner wine - a medium chardonnay or sauvignon blanc

Post dinner wine - a full bodied bordeaux or a good quality hecula

Warm Spinach, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Salad:

3 bacon slices, chopped

1/2 large red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips

6 ounces crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, coarsely chopped

1/2 10-ounce bag spinach leaves

1/4 medium-size red onion, cut into paper-thin slices

1/3 cup olive oil

1/4 cup white wine vinegar

1 tablespoons sugar

3 ounces chilled soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 2/3 cup)

Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Add bell pepper to drippings in skillet; sauté 2 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bell pepper to large bowl. Add mushrooms to same skillet and sauté until tender and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms to bowl with bell pepper and reserve skillet. Add spinach and onion to same bowl.

Add oil, vinegar, and sugar to reserved skillet; bring to boil, whisking until sugar dissolves. Season dressing with salt and pepper. Toss salad with enough warm dressing from skillet to coat. Divide salad among 2 plates. Sprinkle with goat cheese.

Main Course:

Chicken ala Elias

Roasted Potatoes

Asparagus

Roasted Potatoes:

Parsley

Chives

Rosemary

Olive oil

Crushed Garlic clove

Lemon juice

Grated Lemon peel

Salt

About a pound red-skinned new potatoes, quartered

Blend parsley, chives, rosemary, 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, lemon peel, and some salt in a small bowl

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Toss potatoes and some more oil in large bowl. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Arrange potatoes, on rimmed baking sheet or glass baking dish. pour the bowl of herbs and oil over potatoes

Roast until potatoes are golden brown and tender, about 45 minutes.

Asparagus:

Clean it, cut root ends off

In a large frying pan, bring water just to a boiling point with salt.

Toss asparagus in, one layer deep, the water level should be just a hair over the asparagus

When they are wilted to the point where a stalk is limp when balanced on a fork, they are done (about 3-4 mins tops)

Serve immediatly

Chicken ala Elias:

2 medium sized chicken breasts

Fresh prosciutto

The freshest Brie or Camembert (Brie is much more prefferable for this application) you can find, about 6 slices cut into 3"x1" strips

Olive oil

Chardonnay (cheap stuff)

Garlic cloves, sliced razor thin (you can actually use a razor blade to slice them super thin, got that tip from Goodfellas)

Preheat oven to 400

Make a 3" or so incision on the side of each chicken breast, about 3" deep, being careful not to poke through to the other side

Slice prosciutto into 1/2"x1" strips

Stuff as much prosciutto into the breasts as can reasonably fit, stuff into sides and back of your incision, just don't break the breast onto the opposing side.

In a large frying pan, heat olive oil until hot, add the garlic you've sliced until it liquifies.

Toss chicken breasts in, stuffed side down first to seal in the prosciutto

rotate the chicken breasts as each side turns golden brown.

Add some chardonnay until the pan stops spraying, braise the breasts until the remaining liquid in the pan is brown and syrupy

Coat the bottom of a glass baking dish with olive oil and remaining garlic slices

Add the chicken breasts

Place 3 slices of brie on each breast, pour the liquid from your pan over the breasts

Add a cup or two of wine, dont overdue it, if you do, the chicken will be dry when its done

Bake for about 45 mins, or until the juices of a breast run clear when poked with a fork.

Dessert:

I'm not a sweets guy, after a heavy meal like this, i like an espresso and maybe a slice of fresh, dark chocolate before the bordeaux or hecula comes out.

The nice thing too, is the additional brie and prosciutto you didn't use you can convert into a nice and easy predinner snack with some crostini for your beloved to munch on while they're watching you create this masterpiece.

Your all very welcome.

Edited by lowrider

Kraft a la Dinner

Start with a Pot of Boiling Water. Approx 6 cups or 1.5 L.

Open Box of Kraft Dinner and pour contents into Pot. *CAREFUL on this part as it is very simple to accidentally drop the Cheese packet hidden inside the box into the pot as well.*

Stir Pasta noodles for appox 7 to 8 minutes or to desired tenderness.

Drain

Add Cheese Packet,1 Tbsp of non-hydrogenated Margarine and 1/4 cup of Skim Milk

Stir until Pasta is evenly Coated then VOILA.

Serve.

:clap: :bow: :takebow: :bow: :clap:

So many friends compliment me on my cooking ability. They say I'm a natural and that I should perhaps open my own restaurant. I have several great recipes like,

-Le Television Dinner a la Bon'appetite

-Pop a la Corn

-Poulet avec tres bon Bread

As you can see, Perhaps they are right. -thnkboutit-

Dowser

Edited by Dowser

*CAREFUL on this part as it is very simple to accidentally drop the Cheese packet hidden inside the box into the pot as well.*

Thank you for this invaluable time saving tip! :laugh:

For those of us that dont have than knack for cooking like Dowser has, you can try this recipe, passed down from generation to generation... an old favourite.

Dîner Kraft au EasyMac B)

Edited by Pezzy

Ingredients:

1 paper plate

1 napkin

1 shaker of garlic

4 bottle Mike's Hard Lemonade

1 telephone.

1. Using the telephone, dial the number of the local pizza place.

2. Upon it's arrival, make payment (no tip cause they were slow)

3. Cover said pizza with garlic

4. Place a slice on the paper plate

5. Open a bottle of hard lemonade

6. consume pizza slice

7. wipe mouth with napkin

8. chug bottle of hard lemonade

9 repeat steps 4 thru 8 three more times

10 flop in front of the TV and fall asleep.

ok i saw i thing about boiling asparagus and :oops: so here goes:

a pan of cold water. add t. of olive oil. soak the asparagus for a little bit.. 5min is prob enough but 1/2h is better... now put the soaked asparagus on the grill.. keep turning, don't burn/dry it.. about 10min on the grill should be enough..

enjoy! it's the best you've ever had... B)

this applies to pretty much any veggies: asparagus, broccoli,

zucchini, eggplant require no soaking but slice the first in half lengthwise and then half that length. the eggplant seem to do best in slices aabout 3/4 to 1in in thickness. sprinkle salt and some paprika and spray with butter.. place on the grill face down for a few.. then flip and a bit more spray on the face and give it a few more minutes.. just have to watch it and note times on your grill..

whole roasted tomatoes are also delish!

I marinade and grill asparagus, broccoli, egg plant, zuchinni and onions regularly... Broccoli is hard as the little tips are easy to burn. (Note, broccoli and eggplant do not need to soak !) Never tried the soaking method, will do next time.

use your broom and clean this one up!

Observe below... ;) I may have to do some more pruning later. Not like the jokes aren't funny... :D

B

Edited by Precise1

probably one of the greatest meals:

Ingredients:

Lotsa good beer on ice

several baguettes of fresh sourdough bread

pound or so of fresh butter

Big bag of fish heads

Equipment:

several good friends

big cook pot

tongs

Coleman stove

Couple of crab pots

rope

Procedure:

- Go to where the Dungeness are.

- Attach fish heads to crab pots.

- IMPORTANT: attach one end of rope to crab pot, other end to something solid on shore.

- Huck crab pots into water

- Fire up Coleman

- Fill cook pot with preseasoned water (aka, seawater), put on to boil.

- open beer

- When water boils, pull up pot, toss critters into water, toss pot back in.

- tear off chunk of bread, butter liberally.

By continuously alternating beer, bread, and critters, I can achieve culinary nirvana (aka food coma) with about 3 hours of focused effort!