Seafoam and some eye candy

TahoeRunner

Well I finally had good weather and free time come on the same weekend and got to spend some time with Sarge since purchasing him.

First things on the list were to just do an oil change, change the fuel filter, new wiper blades and air filter. Also I needed to give the outside a good bath and hose out the frame rails. I'd already detailed the interior a couple of weeks ago so it's good to go. One of the things I decided to try after a suggestion by my dad and digging around here was to try the Seafoam treatment.

So here's how it went down. I was very leary about doing the treatment so I read just about every thread on here that talked about it and went directly to the seafoam website and followed their directions to the letter. The oil was pretty clean still as the truck had just hit 3,000 miles since the previous owner had the oil changed, but with so little miles his wife drove, the oil was changed almost 12 months ago. So I dumped 2/3 of the can of seafoam into the crankcase, and then started the motor letting it run for about 5 min. Then I removed the brake booster hose and then slowly poured in the other 1/3 of the can into the vac hose being sure not to let the motor die. It stumbled and belched smoke as I poured it in but I kept going. After the can was all poured in, I shut the motor off for 5 min and then restarted it and started revving the motor up and down. HOLY CRAP!!!! My neighbor came out and it looked like our couldesac was on fire! I reassured him I was just doing a liquid tune-up. So for about 5 min the exhaust belched blue, black, and white smoke as I revved the motor. Then as the smoke tapered off I took it for a spin around the block and by the time I got back, no more smoke. All good there.

Then I went to drain the oil and it came out abosolutely midnight pitch black. So I let it drain for a good long time. While doing that, I swapped the fuel filter real quick. That fuel filter could have been very well the original. Not sure though.

After the oil was all drained, swapped the oil filter, poured in the measily 3.8 qts of high mileage synthetic blend and then gave him a bath. When I had checked the truck originally for rust I could tell the frame rails were full of dirt, but amazingly there was no rust, or if there was it was ever so slight. My guess is that the truck didn't spend enough time in wet conditions to keep the dirt saturated. So I flushed the rails out for a good 2-3 minutes on each side, in both directions until the water came pouring out clear. Lets just say I ended up with a lot of mud in the driveway!

Detailed the outside, scrubbed the tires and the spare tire cover and this is how he turned out. I love how original the truck is. Unless I have money to blow and something else to drive, I think i'm gonna keep him stock except for a set of tint on the windows.

IMG_4325.jpgIMG_4329.jpgIMG_4322.jpgIMG_4326.jpgIMG_4327.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

Oh and I forgot to add. The seafoam and the new fuel filter did wonders. My expectations were pretty low with only 153 hp, but I didn't realize how down on power the truck was. On my drive to work today, I can easily climb this one little hill in 5th gear that usually required a downshift to maintain 50 mph and I can easily start off in 2nd gear. Its not fast, but the engine revs much freer than it was and it's got some decent pull and much better driveability. I'm thinking the fuel filter was pretty clogged before as I was getting a slight stumble at idle when cold if I didn't let the fuel pump cycle a couple of seconds first. Now it starts right up no problem!

Its just so super-mega clean inside and out! Great job! You really have a gem there.

But inquiring minds want to know......how clean is your engine bay......notice there arent any pics of it........are you hiding your (literally) dirty secret??

Yeah I wish I would have done a video. I didn't think about about doing a video until I was in the middle of it and it was too late. I honestly didn't realize how much it was going to smoke!

And the truck is clean now, but I plan on getting it dirty too and hitting the trails. I'm not going to take it off road till I swap the rest of the fluids though and fix the broken exhaust hanger. But stock, this thing should do pretty good and i'm excited to see what it can do. When I was younger I had an 04 Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed and even though it had a mile long wheelbase and was bone stock and it did awesome off-road. It would claw out of ravines it has not business making it out of!

That there is the better looking twin to mine before I got it. Well besides the 5spd and sunroof. Great looking truck and I'm Jelly of your lack of rust.

Why didnt ya B12 it instead, since its cheaper and works better then the seafoam. Unless you like all the smoke.

Oh, did I say I like your truck.

That there is the better looking twin to mine before I got it. Well besides the 5spd and sunroof. Great looking truck and I'm Jelly of your lack of rust.

Why didnt ya B12 it instead, since its cheaper and works better then the seafoam. Unless you like all the smoke.

I didn't know about B12. My dad suggested the seafoam and so I researched it on here and seemed like quite a few people used it.

Thanks for all the "likes" I hope to keep it this nice and preserve it although I can't guarantee it won't pick up some desert pin stripes along the way!

I do need to get the windows tinted pretty bad. This is the first car i've ever had with non-tinted windows for more than a couple of days, so it feels naked! Need to get around to doing that...

• 2 years later...

REVIVING THIS ONE:

OP or anyone that can chime in with confidence,

I've read on here that the spark plugs typically foul after running seafoam through the brake booster line, thus needing to be changed immediately after the seafoam treatment is done.

Did you do that or was everything just fine just the way you posted?

I appreciate any clarification as mine is

VERY nice ride by the way. I have the exact one but my body is rusted all over :blush:

1991 NISSAN PATHFINDER

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

4X4 VG30E

They are only prone to rust in places where they spread corrosive elements on the ground... :shrug:

REVIVING THIS ONE:

OP or anyone that can chime in with confidence,

I've read on here that the spark plugs typically foul after running seafoam through the brake booster line, thus needing to be changed immediately after the seafoam treatment is done.

Did you do that or was everything just fine just the way you posted?

I appreciate any clarification as mine is

VERY nice ride by the way. I have the exact one but my body is rusted all over :blush:

1991 NISSAN PATHFINDER

MANUAL TRANSMISSION

4X4 VG30E

I have never heard of anyone having an issue with fouled plugs from running seafoam in any manner.

B

I would expect that since Seafoam contains petroleum distillates it would clean the plugs if you drive it after cleaning the intake out. No? If it cleans the intake of accumulated oil deposits then it should have little problem cleaning a spark plug of the same deposits. But correct me if I'm wrong please!

Precise1 and SpecialWarr-

Thanks for the input. I'm not sure where I learned about fouling the plugs but it made since to me in they same way that running an extremely rich fuel mixture would foul plugs. I wasn't considering the actual ingredients of Seafoam.

I'll do it this weekend and report back asap.

Thanks again.