Engine Swap Recommendations

William

With the BFG 33x12.5R15 tires on, I started to feel a considerable decrease in performance on the highway (esp. going uphill)

:deadhorse:

Friends of mine recommended an Engine Swap into a CHEVY or a GMC V8

with nearly 350 HP (as opposed to our modest VG30E delivering 157

when they were first manufactured - I don't know about its condition

now after so many years or service and nearly 100K on the odometer).

I saw the pics of the VG30DETT twin turbo intercooled 350HP engine

swap post. It is quite impressive but the wiring seems quite complicated.

How about a V8 5.7L HEMI off a recent model JEEP?

I am basically looking for a recent model engine that I can take off a

recent model scrap car with very low mileage and with as little swap

hassle as possible.

William

Edited by William

If you want newer, GM LSx V8. All aluminum, put out a lot of power, very reliable, and are able to get 30+MPG highway in the right chassis. They are narrower than the stock VG, lighter, and only a few inches longer.

Could always drop in a VG33E (96-00 pathfinder or 00-04 xterra) which makes 180hp and more if you do I/H/E. Or build a VG34.

These would be more bolt on than a gm or jeep swap. The VG33 should be pretty easy to find what with nissan scrapping so many r50s due to strut tower rot.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 2

Anyway you go you will have too run a stand alone engine system and e-fans, the sbc isnt as wide as a vg but it sure as hell is a lot longer. 4.3 is a decent engine and is shorter then a sbc, but your not gonna make the same power.

New hemis, what about them? They go 300k and make decent power . No buddys ever done a hemi wd plat form swap.

I know chevy swaps are always popular one bad thing is the distributor if the engine has one is in the rear and you normally will have to massage the firewall to make clearance for it. Ford distributor is in the front so no problems with that.

Infiniti Q45 engine swap 317 HP (factory underrated at 287)

Edited by ahardb0dy

With the BFG 33x12.5R15 tires on, I started to feel a considerable decrease in performance on the highway (esp. going uphill)

:deadhorse:

Friends of mine recommended an Engine Swap into a CHEVY or a GMC V8

with nearly 350 HP (as opposed to our modest VG30E delivering 157

when they were first manufactured - I don't know about its condition

now after so many years or service and nearly 100K on the odometer).

I saw the pics of the VG30DETT twin turbo intercooled 350HP engine

swap post. It is quite impressive but the wiring seems quite complicated.

How about a V8 5.7L HEMI off a recent model JEEP?

I am basically looking for a recent model engine that I can take off a

recent model scrap car with very low mileage and with as little swap

hassle as possible.

William

only 100k miles?!?!??! WTF? When you do the swap, mind, uh, letting me take that off your hands? Free of charge. Usually, I charge $50 for scrap removal, I'll do you a favor :aok:

I know chevy swaps are always popular one bad thing is the distributor if the engine has one is in the rear and you normally will have to massage the firewall to make clearance for it. Ford distributor is in the front so no problems with that.

Infiniti Q45 engine swap 317 HP (factory underrated at 287)

That would require the most fabrication I've ever seen. There is a guy on another Nissan forum who did that. :omg: the fabrication...

If you want to put a VH45DE (Q45) in your Pathfinder, then check this out http://nissantrailriders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1063&start=60

and timing belt :treadmill:

Actually it has around ~110,000 KM (not Miles even). The engine is in a great

condition. Never had a problem with it. I only replaced the 3.0 Injectors

a year back with the ones from a 3.3 engine (VG33E) while in the process of doing

some injector cleaning. I thought maybe the 3.3 injectors will give me a little

more power but I was wrong. It did not help at all.

The only reason I am considering swapping it is due to the lack of power after

the S&B lift+33" tires.

There is obviously many routes to the swap with many alternatives and options.

Someone told me that the new engine has to be a HORIZONTAL block and cannot be

a VERTICAL one to match the layout of the current VG30E. Is that true?

How do I tell which one is which?

William

Edited by William

Maybe you should look at your axle gear ratio first.It would be alot easier in the long run.If you only have 100k on engine it would probably make more sense.4.90's would work great.

I believe my current AXLE RATIO is stock at nearly 4.66 (I believe). What would

the 4.9 give me in return? More Power? How to do that?

William

The engine has to run longitudinally, i.e. with the crankshaft axis parallel to the long axis of the truck. I'm not sure if that's what the person was saying when they were talking about horizontal and vertical.

To change your gear ration you replace the gears in the front and rear differentials.

The engine has to run longitudinally, i.e. with the crankshaft axis parallel to the long axis of the truck. I'm not sure if that's what the person was saying when they were talking about horizontal and vertical.

To change your gear ration you replace the gears in the front and rear differentials.

Yes. I believe this is what he was referring to. Thx for the clarification ;)

Right now, I am running the stock R200A (Front) and H233B (Rear). My current gear

ratio is: 4.625

What would be the benefits of increasing the Gear Ratio for

the front and rear by installing new RING & PINIONS?

The following options are available on ruggedrocksoffroad.com

* 5.143 Front R200A Ring and Pinion Gears $496.95

* 4.875 Rear H233B Ring and Pinion Gears $496.95

* 5.143 Rear H233B Ring and Pinion Gears $496.95

* 5.571 Rear H233B Ring and Pinion Gears $496.95

* 5.857 Rear H233B Ring and Pinion Gears $496.95

Do I need to match the front and rear Ring & Pinion gear ratio?

William

You need to match, yes (except in unusual circumstances I guess). Changing the gear ratio is going to change how your engine speed is related to your vehicle speed. With a higher gear ratio your engine will spin faster to go the same speed. This is "good" if you want to be able to drive very slowly while crawling, or get more power at low speeds. It's bad for being able to drive fast at a low engine RPM. Depends on what you are looking for. Usually if you go to bigger tires you would consider going to bigger gears. Seems like the option is only 5.143, which, if you consider "stock" to be 29" would give the same ratio for a 32" tire. But there a bunch of factory options (29", 31", 4.3 gears, 4.6 gears) so it's really a personal thing.

I have 31" tires with 4.3 gears and a manual transmission and it seems fine.

hi william, i had 33's with and auto trans and 4.625 gears around ontario a lot. As long as it isn't too windy, and you gas it down hills, you get decent mileage out of that setup. As soon as it gets windy, the truck might have to drop a gear to keep up with highway traffic. You don't want it buzzing away on the highway too much because it drinks fuel and heats everything up too much. It was fine on the trails, but if you get into the harder trails around here, you might want the 4.9's instead. Basically, go wheeling with what you have and figure out what would work better after.

• Like 1

I think you mean longitudinal vs. transverse. Most front wheel drive cars have transversely mounted engines. You need an engine intended for longitudinal mounting.

Cheaper ring and pinions can be had by swapping them from xterras or from other (W)D21/D22s.

WD22 xterras came with 4.90s, and should work fine with 33s. its a direct swap in the rear axle, and not too bad for the fronts. You will need different halfshafts and hubs for the different spline counts in the later units.

bigger injectors aren't needed if the engine isn't moving more air. Injector upgrades are only necessary if going with turbos or superchargers. If you want more power,headers, and performance cams will help greatly. If you want more, head porting / vG33 swap / VG34 build or VG36E build is more what you need. If that still isn't enough, add turbos and superchargers.

with 110k kms on your engine, its time to change the timing belt. You might not like 153 hp, but with busted engine from a blown timing belt, you'll have 0hp to play with.

Actually it has around ~110,000 KM (not Miles even). The engine is in a great

condition. Never had a problem with it. I only replaced the 3.0 Injectors

a year back with the ones from a 3.3 engine (VG33E) while in the process of doing

some injector cleaning. I thought maybe the 3.3 injectors will give me a little

more power but I was wrong. It did not help at all.

William

They have the same flow rate because they are the same injector. :lol:

I would go vg33e... it swaps right in, u can add headers intake and exhaust for about 200hp and 220+ ft lbs. throw your old 3.0 cams for even more power they are higher lift. u dont need to worry about wiring or ecu then as your old ecu will run the 3.3 just fine... that's what im doing anyways! mostly working myself ive done almost the entire swap including custom exhaust/headers in about a week i have another day or 2 to go. really not a bad swap difficulty wise! add some 4.9 gears from an xterra and u will be bangin with 33s

Edited by Nefarious
  • Like 3

You sound like you are looking for a boat load of work for no reason when you have the better suited engine with much less work..... You are not going to get that low VG torque grunt from an early honda v6. I also doubt it would be as reliable as the VG. Have you driven any early honda v6?

How about the recent PF Engines:

2001-present Nissan VK engine — 4.5/5.0/5.6 L — VK45DE, VK45DD, VK50VE, VK56DE, VK56VD

The specs are Nice!

2011NPEngine.jpg

Or the recent XTERRA's engines. They are powerful:

Variable Valve Timing fitted 4.0 L VQ40DE engine, it produces 265 hp (198 kW)

Would they fit? Will the wiring to the new ECU be a nightmare?

William

Edited by William