Engine Swap Recommendations

William

Would they fit? Will the wiring to the new ECU be a nightmare?

William

If you get the complete ecu from a yard with the engine then yeah, the engine/tranny will run perfect. Now the factory BS wont with out putting time into it.

will a VQ or VH even fit between the frame rails of a WD21? I know a VG30DET needs a whole bunch of massaging.

With the 4.625 gear ratio, putting 33's on it (with a stock tire size of 31's) you've essentially changed your final ratio to 4.3. replacing your 4.6's with 4.9's from an Xterra will put you back at stock gearing. The bigger tires are of course making your truck feel sluggish.

Personally, I would do a VG33 swap and put headers and exhaust on it. It's going to keep your truck down and out for the count for the fewest hours.

HTH!

Years ago I inquired about a new gear ratio for my hardbody, can't recall if I spoke to Jim Connor or someone at Nismo but I was told with 33's switching to a 5.14 ratio would bring the RPM's back to what they would be with the stock 31's, I told the guy I was running 35's and he didn't have an answer for that.

Could always drop in a VG33E (96-00 pathfinder or 00-04 xterra) which makes 180hp and more if you do I/H/E. Or build a VG34.

These would be more bolt on than a gm or jeep swap. The VG33 should be pretty easy to find what with nissan scrapping so many r50s due to strut tower rot.

i think this is the best idea possible too

Years ago I inquired about a new gear ratio for my hardbody, can't recall if I spoke to Jim Connor or someone at Nismo but I was told with 33's switching to a 5.14 ratio would bring the RPM's back to what they would be with the stock 31's, I told the guy I was running 35's and he didn't have an answer for that.

I don't think that makes sense... it should be easy to calculate. The torque arm of the tire is just the radius of it, so it is proportional to the tire diameter. So you can just take your gear ratio, say 4.625 and multiply it by the ratio of tire sizes. 4.625 * 33 / 31 = 4.92. If you wanted it to drive the same with 33s as it would be 29s then you'd get 4.625 * 33 / 29 = 5.26, so you'd need 5.3ish gears.

Of course if you had a 4.3 gear ratio to start with it changes everything too.

edit I think I fixed the typo

Edited by sewebster

WOW! I think everyone that suggests the 3.3 swap have the right idea,add 4.90 gears you are done.How driveable do you want your P.F.? My experience is the more you change the more tinkering you end up doing to get everything working right.Is cost a factor? If it is think of what it will cost and double it. Trust me look at my truck.If you want V8 power buy a new pathfinder.If you want reliability keep your 100km 3.0 and change gears.Of course that's just my opinion.I am sure some will agree some will disagree.

I have 4.3 gears and my engine is running at like 3000 rpm to go 60 mph. Seems like going higher would be not necessarily a good idea. I think I'm going to put together my gears spreadsheet I've been meaning to make for a while. I guess I can post it up and people can play around with this stuff.

I have 4.3 gears and my engine is running at like 3000 rpm to go 60 mph. Seems like going higher would be not necessarily a good idea. I think I'm going to put together my gears spreadsheet I've been meaning to make for a while. I guess I can post it up and people can play around with this stuff.

My truck has 4.3 gears too. According to your spread sheet If I put 4.9 gears and 35" tires It will only be 20 RPMs different at 60 mph. Won't even have to change the speedometer gear.

James

• 2 years later...

My honest opinion of doing a 350 or 302 v8 swap.....cut all the crap out & run the vehicle like an old school muscle car. No power windows, locks, A/C, etc. Remember, it's a wheeling rig. All you need is the engine, tranny, steering, suspension, tires, and a seat for your ass. That's what I'm planning on doing when the time comes. Doors off & possibly even the tailgate. Install roll cage & drive it like you built it to be driven/off-roaded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Would the vg33 bolt up to the stock tranny? basically just unplug, pull, drop in, hook it up and off the trails? Just the engine is about $600 from a jdm shop. Youre looking at an engine w/ 80 000kms. cant go wrong with that at all....dont have to deal with all the road grim, oil and rust as you would with a north american engine either.

• 7 years later...