XTERRA to WD21

dfather99

Skid plate, front sway bar (x is stiffer), Centerlink/ steering components can swap over but the exact match is the idler arm everything is real close.

The list goes on, the X (wd22) and the pathfinder (wd21) are much closer relatives than the r50 pathfinders...

If you happen to find a supercharged Xterra, it's even heavier duty ;) thus the "EHD" in my sig ;) But you need the flexplate for the EHD torque converter!

the N/A torque converter bolts up to the pathy flex plate.

So the tranny swap is good for 4x4 also. And it's a Direct bolt no Mods whatsoever. I am surprised there is not a write up on this.

there doesn't need to be a write up. it's bolt-on. if there were any changes needed to be done, then sure, I could understand a write up. I would use the tx-10 that's attached to your original transmission though.

Man Im glad I visited this post..Learned something new again...Thanks guys

Only drawback is finding an xterra at my local pull and save

by the way what year xterras is interchangeable guys?

Edited by PATHRIDER

• 1 month later...

Was I misinformed or can you actually swap the supercharger from an "X" onto the vg30e? Or manifolds and supercharger? I can't seem to find anything about it while searching...

not onto a vg30 because of the different belts but to a vg33 yes.

The other day I took the floor mats out of an Xterra and they fit my Pathy perfect. I know some have taken the roof rack off of the xterra. .....

Cool. I am getting tired of duct-taping the driver's floor mat which is an aging mat originally designed for the light Nissan truck. Even that mat has been discontinued.... I trust these are fibre mats. Sure hope they fit my '93 pathfinder.

So I'm reading through this thread and thinking that the Xterra is not capable of the same off-road performance of the WD21 pathfinders. Is that impression correct?

So I'm reading through this thread and thinking that the Xterra is not capable of the same off-road performance of the WD21 pathfinders. Is that impression correct?

:shrug: how'd you get that impression curiously? Maby Ask Simon if his Xterra was an upgrade/downgrade/give here-take there compared to his past wd21 history. He could probably give a good "I like this but not that" analogy

Problem with trying to compare is most people are pretty thickheaded to back up the particular platform they have (guilty. and if you look and see some of it that DOES go in, it's usually in good fun just poking at each other) but honestly the whole line have their pros and cons whether it be wd21s wd22s r50s r51s heck throw the pickups in there as well!

My dad had a first or second year X and got rid of it pretty quickly. It was gutless (iirc the larger engine wasn't available yet) and the ride was really hard. Then again, it was an ex-rental, so maybe that had something to do with it. We did discover the rental place had screwed up the timing, but even after having that fixed, it still didn't tow very well.

The X has a leaf spring rear end, which won't flex quite like a link-and-coil setup. I've heard however that for serious crawling, leafs are helpful, because they keep the axle from drooping too far (and can't drop a spring, I guess). Enough people mod both without interchanging the suspensions that I suspect they're both pretty capable. (Except for the engine, the rear suspension, and the body, they're very similar... thus this thread :D)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys does anyone know if the front end of the chassis is the same between the D22 to the D21I have my eye on a XROX front tube bar but have held off as trying to find this out?? If its just bolt hole placement that's different that's no issue but a difference in width could prove an issue depending on which was it is of course..

Thanks

Sam

Witdh is similar but not the same. I think the X- is wider. Mounting is completely different but you can fab mounts. Or I hope you can.

Lots of other similarities, steering boxes, idler arms skid plates..... the pathy and the X (wd21 and wd22) are allot closer parts-wise than most people realize.

Yeah to nice i think ill have to do a bit more looking into it before i fork out for the tue bar, and alot of companies try to say they are different yet the suspension/steering stay pretty well the same and something that I never realized until I got my pathfinder a few moths ago is it share the same R180 or the R200 diff as is in the rear of the original Z cars and early 80s skylines

Edited by hoare85

:shrug: how'd you get that impression curiously? Maby Ask Simon if his Xterra was an upgrade/downgrade/give here-take there compared to his past wd21 history. He could probably give a good "I like this but not that" analogy

Problem with trying to compare is most people are pretty thickheaded to back up the particular platform they have (guilty. and if you look and see some of it that DOES go in, it's usually in good fun just poking at each other) but honestly the whole line have their pros and cons whether it be wd21s wd22s r50s r51s heck throw the pickups in there as well!

I've only had my X off road a few times (busy life the last year or so) but I can tell you this.

The Xterra rear end suspension sucks, stock. I've installed revolver shackles and longer shocks, which should hopefully cure this issue. I'll report back on that later. WD21 wins here, so far.

The LSD also sucks, with about half the strength of the WD21 unit. This was exacerbated by the fact that I couldn't keep both rear tires on the ground with any reliability. WD21 wins here as well.

The increase in power is noticeable, and appreciated both on and off road. Especially given that I run 33x12.5" tires, I need all the help I can get. WD22 wins here.

Solid frame in the WD22 is definitely an ease of my mind, and while that's not an issue for all WD21 owners, it certainly becomes one at some point in time for those in salt using areas. WD22 wins here.

They both lose for HORRIBLE steering design, as essentially nothing changed in that regard from WD21 to WD22. It was $h!t and it's still $h!t