What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Got my headers fully installed and tightened today. Bought a pair of long needle nose pliers that helped me get that last bolt threaded. Also had to buy a new band clamp @ 2.5", as the 2" one I ordered (must have read bad info online) was to small.

Installed the new egr valve with a new gasket and tube.

Got it all back together and it wouldn't start. So I cleaned my battery terminals (removed the battery to make clearance for mounting the remote oil filter, somehow it went from starting to to dirty to start over night.) and all is well, with no oil leaks, and no perceptible exhaust leaks. It is revving up to about 3K at startup now, but the y-pipe isn't connected to the old exhaust right now. Really looking forward to seeing how it sounds/runs tomorrow, after the new 02 sensor, and flowmaster cat & muffler are installed.

Also replaced my drivers side torsion bar. I was an idiot, and slipped with my grinder when cutting out the old exhaust, and left a 1/4" cut in the old bar. Didn't want it breaking on me next weekend when camping. So will adjust my ride height tomorrow morning before the exhaust appointment, once I get to a friends house that has a level concrete pad. Already have an alignment scheduled for Thursday.

Edited by Harbinger

Well, the spare needs to go for sure, for safety. But so do the wheels, eventually.... yuckkk ;)

The reason for the spare is that the car has been sitting nearly a year. Both front tires are bald, but the right front sidewall was torn. Like most spares, it was brand new. I needed to move the car, so the spare went on. I like the SE-R wheels, but the right front is also bent. I got my eyes on a set of nismo wheels on a wrecked unit down near Portland. The car has bigger issues like needing a transmission and a door. Add all the other small things that need to be addressed because it belonged to a 16 year old kid, I'm not worried about different wheels at this point.

Ok, back on topic, this is a what you did to your pathfinder thread. Maybe there should a Other vehicles thread.....

• Like 1

The reason for the spare is that the car has been sitting nearly a year. Both front tires are bald, but the right front sidewall was torn. Like most spares, it was brand new. I needed to move the car, so the spare went on. I like the SE-R wheels, but the right front is also bent. I got my eyes on a set of nismo wheels on a wrecked unit down near Portland. The car has bigger issues like needing a transmission and a door. Add all the other small things that need to be addressed because it belonged to a 16 year old kid, I'm not worried about different wheels at this point.

Ok, back on topic, this is a what you did to your pathfinder thread. Maybe there should a Other vehicles thread.....

I know, I was just joshing you about the wheels.

I guess that's what the off-topic section is for, but it would be nice to have a dedicated thread.

Anyways, I pulled my entire headliner today so that I could put my Xterra rack on. I don't trust jack nuts, so I'm going with grade 8 bolts and nuts, with a pair of fender washers sandwiching the roof. Didn't have a whole lot of time to work tonight, as I cut my hand pretty bad on one of the dome light clips. On the upside, I finally got my radar detector installed where I want it, and now have the wiring running up through the rear-view mirror hole. I'm going to sand and paint the rack black tomorrow.

My plan is to do something Colorado-y with the headliner, since I don't have the handpainted flag on the hood anymore... going to try to bedline the headliner, and then paint over it with an acyrillic paint in the design of the Colorado flag

• Like 1

Got my truck back from the muffler place today. Engine is running a lot happier with the new o2 sensor, and the truck sounds good. Not too loud but definitely more of a beast than stock.

Shop told me I have an exhaust leak from the rear most bol on the driver's side header. So will need to either replace the gasket or add more permatex copper.

Zip tied some of my oil/power steering lines farther away from the header. If I still think they are exposed to too much heat, I'll see about finding an insulative wrap for them. Don't think there is an easy way to fab a heat shield for that location.

I replaced one of the P/S hoses on Rat Trap today and had the same thought about that exhaust manifold. I found that by twisting the new hose on the nipple for the P/S res I could make the hose bend a little sharper at the pump and get a bit more distance between the hose and the manifold.

Unrelated, it's amazing how much noise one leaf stuck in the blower fan can make.

Zip tied some of my oil/power steering lines farther away from the header. If I still think they are exposed to too much heat, I'll see about finding an insulative wrap for them. Don't think there is an easy way to fab a heat shield for that location.

Have you considered wrapping the headers?

Have you considered wrapping the headers?

Yes, and I'm not going to. My thorleys are already ceramic coated, and wrapping them voids the warranty. Also haven't come across anything online that says that wrapping headers is a good idea.

But some header wrap around my fuel/oil lines would give me some piece of mind.

Also haven't come across anything online that says that wrapping headers is a good idea.

There is a reason why closed-body racecars have wrapped headers.... it keeps the heat in, where its supposed to be haha.

But no, don't wrap the headers if it will void the warranty.

Got the 21-year-old gummed up windshield washer nozzles replaced.

Suddenly the world is no longer behind a regular film.

And - bonus - got the original saggy driver's side seat belt replaced with shiny new, taut one for free under lifetime warranty.

Only downside was dealer said they could only get one of the seat belts right now, so the rest will have to wait their (saggy) turn.

back in the 70s Ford was having a problem with exhaust manifold bolts breaking and finally found that the the bolt holes in the manifolds were to small for the heating and contraction

back in the 70s Ford was having a problem with exhaust manifold bolts breaking and finally found that the the bolt holes in the manifolds were to small for the heating and contraction

And in the 90's, Nissan began to have the same problem.

Need to update my build thread a lot. But this is where I mounted my fire extinguisher.

22449bc38bf35f2dcb1e614266cd7cb3.jpg

9be1f3f6f7dfba0738cb99c130b91932.jpg

Need a proper Extinguisher inside decal. Temp one

Sent from fat fingers on S6

Edited by Rebelord
  • Like 2

Today I finally built an ECU box for my '88. Not the prettiest thing in the world since it was made out of plastic scraps and no planer but it's better than the ECU bring out in the open under the hood with the heat, moisture, and mud.

20150718_153348_zpsaw1dkubr.jpg

20150718_153359_zpsdemmao4t.jpg

Way better than nothing, but better keep an eye on the temp at first...

Polycarbonate? A tip for next time, if you use acrylic and have clean edges (milled or cold sawed), you can use a bonding solvent that works amazingly well. Only used it a few times, but was amazed at the results. http://www.tapplastics.com/product/repair_products/plastic_adhesives/tap_acrylic_cement/130

I looked at the wasps crawling in and out of the fender/door gap and thinking that this is going to be fun to pull into the garage...

B

Edited by Precise1

Yes, I've seen your truck a million times. :lol:

It is made out of polycarbonate. I used PVC cement. I had a bandsaw, belt sander, and a dremel to work with. I'm frankly astonished the unprotected ECU lasted this long and is still working fine. It's been a long time.

Oh you bastard, you fixed the link! There was some of that in a little bottle I used to go around the inside edges.

Edited by Kingman

Wasn't trying to Rick Roll you! :rofl:

I fixed the link once it posted and I saw it was wrong; had to look it up again. Sorry to make you see it again... :tongue:

Well, as long as it works, and I understand the tool limitation, but watch the videos. They explain how to get around it, somewhat.

Just throwing it out there, more than 1/2 of what I know is because someone told me....

If you used acrylic solvent on polycarbonate, all you did was waste it. Doesn't work like that...

B

Got a package from Japan with my JDM Nissan MOMO Steering Wheel! :jig: It's in great shape and will be a nice upgrade from the worn-out original.

No airbag inflator, but no loss since there weren't airbags in WD21s. And AFAIK, it's the first one installed in a WD21!

The horn doesn't work right now since this has a completely different design, but that's something I can (hopefully) figure out this weekend.NP-Steer-New.jpg

Edited by xterra
  • Like 1

looks kinda like a lunchbox got left under your hood :laugh:

Swapped the odometer for one that has two trip odometers... required a lot of plastic trimming to fit, and the speedo needle gets stuck at 60, but overall I am pleased.

Started to paint my spoiler, bug deflector, and rack. Will install with pictures in the coming days.

While I was swapping the odometer, with the cluster pulled, I noticed something odd... the abs lightbulb hole was empty. Having removed the control unit a while back, I rooted around for a spare cluster bulb, and plugged everything in. Lo and behold, the abs light is stuck on :/ looks like the PO is sneakier than I thought.. wonder what else he hid that I haven't found yet.. anyways, turns out it was the rear sensor, either open or shorting.. time to hit the JY again and hope.

The horn doesn't work right now since this has a completely different design, but that's something I can (hopefully) figure out this weekend.NP-Steer-New.jpg

Maybe its an opportunity for another first... Im thinking semi truck style, roof mounted pull cable horn! 😀

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Horn-Big-Rig-Pull-Valve-Heavy-Duty-Trucks-Grover-Valve-Lanyard-Cable-/281453224519?hash=item4187eb6247&vxp=mtr

...semi truck style, roof mounted pull cable horn! 😀

I like to keep things a little more tidy. If I can't get the horn to work through the steering wheel, I'd have to go with something like this in my console:

MD589-03.jpg