Bender Built WD21 Rear Bumper

Bender and I have been working on a new rear bumper for the partsfinder over the last couple of weekends. I'll share some pictures with you guys to see first few steps of building.

Last Saturday was spent doing a lot of measuring, planning, test fitting:

Setting up the frame mounts (nice hat eh?):

img4239t.jpg

Test fitting the bumper to the mounts, centering and marking the places where we will notch the top:

img4240g.jpg

That was pretty much all we could accomplish so we called it a day. I had a list of things I needed to get before we met up yesterday, so I went shopping for some more steel. Bender wanted to have a nice, strong spine running behind the bumper, between the frame mounts. We chose to use some 2x4 1/4 wall tube to give the bumper some good strength and make sure the receiver is firmly anchored to something sturdy.

We worked on the bumper a little more yesterday and got quite a bit done:

Bender had cut the corners and notched the top of the bumper in preparation for bending and tacking:

img4245h.jpg

Here is the tacked corner, ready to test fit for body clearance:

img4247o.jpg

Next was cutting and mounting the receiver, you can see the 2x4 spine getting marked to be notched out:

img4250y.jpg

Bender tacked everything together after we had finished, then we test fitted it to the truck again to make sure the frame mounts line up close to the spine. We also decided to cut a chunk out of the top of the bumper to make room for a larger or different offset spare tire, and a handy spot to step on when you are fussing with all the crap you brought with you in your roof basket.

Once that was finished, test fitted again and then tacked to frame mounts to the bumper after we decided it's final positioning on the truck. If I haven't said it enough, i'll say again: the AC 3" rear springs are stiff! The bumper is a good weight, but it doesn't really show it when you mount it up. We stuck the gas can holder up there at the same time to get an idea where everything fits:

img4265m.jpg

img4266zc.jpg

img4263a.jpg

After that, I drilled out new mounting holes for the bracket on the frame, and Bender boxed in the chunk on the top of the bumper. At the end of the afternoon, the bumper is ready for some welding and grinding. Next step are the corners. Still lots of work to do before it's ready for a sandblast and treatment, but it had us giggling like schoolgirls every time we stood back and looked at it lol

You can see the 2x4 spine clearly in this picture. Just need to trim off the corners of that backing plate and weld everything together.

img4268f.jpg

img4267.jpg

So i'm pretty excited about the way its turning out, we've got a couple more good ideas to make it really practical and unique. What do you guys think?

Edited by nige

Man, every time I see a custom made bumper it makes me wish I knew how to weld.

looks good! Remember to put some tow rings on there and integrated reverse or brake lights would look cool.

is the cut out chunk for a "step"? because that is a good idea.

He still has taillights.... For a plate light(if needed where your at) I know there used to be kinda ricer bolts that had little led lights in them that you could use? As for the progress I personally like it... After you put the bottle opener on it.

Might look cool beastpath but its also something else you have to replace when they break.

And even though Im sure he's seen these, I'll still post up the picture of the license plate bolts your refering too.

I like it so far Nige.

Thanks for this in depth look at the process.

Nice work but what are you gonna do with the number plate and its lights?

I think we decided to weld a plate underneath the gas can carrier and bolt the number plate to that. I wanted to keep it underneath the tire or something else so I still don't have to pay for road tolls that use overhead cameras instead of toll booths.

Any opener for the beer cap?

yup, we'll find somewhere to put one :beer:

I thought I posted in here but guess not...odd....

Maybe add some oval LED brake or reverse lights?

How much lift is on there?

yup, we have plans for some reverse floodlights for the corners. I have to pick some lights that are cheap, abundant and relatively water-tight (i can silicone them up myself). I have a feeling they might get broken or drown often so I want to make sure i can get more of them before we cut specific shaped holes in the bumper. I will probably get one of those receiver hitch led stop lights. You can't really see my middle brake light very well when the spare is on the back.

I have a 3" body lift and some AC 3" rear coils

Man, every time I see a custom made bumper it makes me wish I knew how to weld.

looks good! Remember to put some tow rings on there and integrated reverse or brake lights would look cool.

is the cut out chunk for a "step"? because that is a good idea.

yup we have some shackle mounts that need a bit of shaping. They will be welded to the back of the bumper, just inside the bends.

We decided to cut the step in for function and style. It only took a few minutes to do and made a big difference. It's cut in relation to the spare tire which is why it is slightly off-center.

He still has taillights.... For a plate light(if needed where your at) I know there used to be kinda ricer bolts that had little led lights in them that you could use? As for the progress I personally like it... After you put the bottle opener on it.

Good idea, I will check them out. can you get them in blue, yo? ahahhaha

If you look at Morpheus' rear bumper, you will notice he has some side protection. We will be doing the same sort of thing with this bumper, but i might have to cut off the bottoms of the quarter panels right to the wheel arch like R50's and 4runners. It's ok, because they are rusted out anyway

that thing is burly as hell, you drive a tank for aliving or a 6x6?

lol it's bigger yeah, but not too much heavier if you consider how much a class 3 hitch and stock bumper weigh together. It's really just a trailer hitch wrapped in 3/16" with some side armor.

hahahah! Bender was welding up some more of it last week. I couldn't work on it this weekend 'cause i had to lay in the slush and replace my rear brakes... while the gold medal hockey game was on :/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have the PERFECT lights for you to use in that bumper, the shop I used to work at in NY we used these a lot in the rear doors of suburbans and stuff, they almost flush mount only about a 1/2" or so actually sticks out above the surface, they feature dual bulbs and you can aim them without removing them:

dxgsix.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

ah sorry guys, i've been busy fixing various fluid leaks, a blown CV boot among other things. I've almost fixed everything that went during my road trip with the exception of one of my IPF lights and my LED maplight conversion.

I found some little LED waterproof floodlights from oznium.com but I have yet to run switched power to them. They fit perfectly in the corners of the rear bumper, but i have to make some flaps to protect them from all the ........ that gets kicked up by the back tires.

We welded a mount for the numberplate to the bottom of the gas can holder (which is welded to the tire carrier). We also added a mount for a farm jack to the tire carrier as well.

I got the rear bumper and tire carrier sandblasted and had a 2-part epoxy primer added as well as a coat of glossy 'amish black' over the tire carrier and rear bumper.

We also half-made a set of sliders too, but we need to finish bending some tube for a spot to step on them and some extra protection for the doors. Bender and I were working pretty hard back in May to get the truck ready for goneMOAB.

I have some photos of the rear bumper, but i don't want to post them because it's not finished yet (I still need to mount the floodlights). I'll put up some pictures of the slider construction too (even though they aren't quite finished yet)

Between finishing my kitchen renovation, working on the boat, my 3 1/2 week vacation, and catching up at work, I don't have much time to accredit to the truck and drinking beer. Hopefully there is some time to get out on the trail in there too :D

• 3 months later...

OK, i got some good pictures of the "finished" product. I think we will still modify the "wings" to make them a bit stronger by welding some supports to span the bottom of the wing and bold to the frame so you can still remove the bumper. I had to chop out the bottoms of my rear quarter panels (they were rusted to shiat anyways), but I am very pleased with the way it turned out. It slides into the frame which we also reinforced and is held on with 4 large bolts. It also has a 2" receiver with safety chain attachments, 3/4" shackle mounts and these nice little waterproof LED floodlights for extra area lighting.

Here is a rear view:

img0008o.jpg

and one from the corner:

img0005sa.jpg

As with the rock sliders, I have already taken a couple hits with it in moab and the last few trail runs i have been on with the CNTC. It's held up very well and i am thankful i have it. my old chrome bumper would have looked pretty sad by now.

So what do you guys think? is there anything that you like or would have done differently? I don't want write all this and not hear any criticism.

Man I love the work you 2 do together. That is a sick ass bumper and if I was stronger I would come over and steal it. :shiftyeyes: In all honesty though, you guys make me drool. I know yous were sort of winging it on certan spots of this but you guys are nuts if you don't Market these.