Locker Vs. Winch(Or Accessories)

beastpath

21 members have voted

1. 1. What should I spend my hard earned tax refund on?

• ARB Locker+compressor
    • Winch
    • Random other stuff - rock sliders, tinting, steering, alarm etc.

So with my tax return I was thinking about getting an ARB for the rear end. That way I could swap it in when I changed the gearing.

However, I was told by a guy that I should get a winch instead as I already have LSD and the winch would be a better investment for me at the moment. I already have a winch bumper.

Or I could spend all the money on the little things I have on my list like rock sliders, etc.

What do you guys think? Does a locker outweigh a winch? or should I wait on both of these and do the little things first?

Edited by beastpath

I like the Idea of gettin sliders and such, thats the direction I keep meaning to go in but doesn't seem to happen.

allot of it depends on where and how you wheel. i think traction up front may be a good Idea too.

My opinion... A winch is necessary when you open the trails (you're the first in line) or when you go alone (which is by no mean a good idea..) When you're stuck with buddies, a good tow strap will get you out of trouble. A locker is simply amazing... You will be going up places you never thought your pathy could...

I vote locker big time.

LSD doesn't help if you get a leg up in the air... I'd lean towards a locker but what I am struggling with is the $100 lock-rite that I have in the garage or a $1000 ARB that I don't have.

As for winches, you need a way to mount it but I just picked up a Smittybuilt XJS8000 (something like that) for $250 so that isn't a major investment.

Also, I believe Rugged Rocks Off Road is having a sale where if you buy the locker, you get th compressor free so if you go that route, at least check out what good old Steeevo is offering... ;)

B

My vote is for a winch,because everybuddy can use a wench once in a while.

Ok,really a winch is a great idea.Nismo had one on his mud truck that plugged right into a reciever hitch(the truck had one each on the front and back)The truck may have been jacked way up and had meaty tires,but it was a one wheel peeler.It was a great idea to have a winch because once your stuck,your stuck.With a locker you can go farther with out winching but once your stuck,your really stuck.I vote ether get both or just get a winch because it will save you so much time getting unstuck.

I vote for locker. Best bang for buck is the locker. With the winch, you are going to need a mounting system of some type(bumper or custom), it will make your front end a bit heavier(possible more steering issues, dont quote me on this), you may need to modify it if you run a body lift or wanna SAS. Next to my tires, my locker has been one of the best investments I have made on my rig. I run a Lockrite, but a Air Locker is still a good choice as you can unlock it when driving on pavement, lock it in when off road. My Lockrite ratches and pops from time to time, but I chaulk that up to personality(It doesnt bother me at all). Ultimately, its your choice. I would look through the member pages and see what others have done.

Derek

Here is my first video. A few minutes in, I go up a trail and a Jeep then follows me. I have locker, he does not.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

My vote is for winch!!!! if you only seen what ive pulled myself out of... a locker can only get you so far, so when your hung up on the frame you can give 'er a little tug and your back to wheeling, instead of diggin for an hour, or worse, have to walk home. which i had to do when i had my dakota and no winch... walked about 5km in the rain down the Trans-Canada highway before we got a ride.

...a winch is a great idea.Nismo had one on his mud truck that plugged right into a reciever hitch(the truck had one each on the front and back)...

I also had a winch set-up like that. got a old class 3 hitch receiver, cut off the side parts. took out the signal lights and housings outta the bumper. cut the middle piece out of my bumper between the signal light holes about 6" x 4". drilled holes in my bumper brackets and hitch receiver, then used ready rod to bolt it to the bumper. then I got a class 3 hitch, without ball, flipped it upside-down, got my buddy to weld a steel plate big enough to mount my winch on. After that i put the hitch in the receiver, pushed it all the way in, to see how much i could cut off.(to make sure it did not hit the radiator or be have the winch mounted out too far causing it to bounce while going over a bumpy trail.

oh ya, and i had a winch safety-pin with a key lock on it, in-case someone tries to make off with it.

Edited by slade420

do you want to get yourself into trouble or out of trouble?

my vote is for a winch. idk if you've been stuck in the mud or snow before, but you can get stuck in that stuff ALL DAY-- or longer. even if you have someone to pull you out (and they don't have a winch) there's still a possibility of that person getting stuck while trying to pull you out. this is where you really get screwed.

sure, a locker can help get you out of snow or mud, but it can also get you deeper in (as others have stated). you'll also be able to hit harder trails (obviously). personally, i don't like pushing limits too far, or any intense "pucker factor." that's just me, and i'm scared of rolling over (which i have before lol)

My vote would be the little things first. Like sliders and Under Armor. Reasoning. Well, With both a Winch and a Locker you get more confidence to attack harder trails and obstacles, which ultimately if you don't have the other protection to your rig, is most likely going to cause you some body damage or possibly other damage like to your oil pan etc. If you don't give a rats ass about your rig, then I would go with a Winch first.

I'm new to wheelin in a truck but I've be exploring on a four wheeler for years. I made sure my quad had a winch before it left the dealer. Every quad has a solid rear axle and that just helps you get deeper in the poo. Without my winch I would have gotten lots more exercise walking 5 plus miles through the woods. We have cougars in our woods. It would have been a long 5 mile run in the dark. Course now with cell phones you could call your buds to come get you.

That Lockrite looks like a pretty cool addition though. According to 4X4 parts you don't even have to set up the gears again. Sounds easy, easy is for me!

James

I also had a winch set-up like that. got a old class 3 hitch receiver, cut off the side parts. took out the signal lights and housings outta the bumper. cut the middle piece out of my bumper between the signal light holes about 6" x 4". drilled holes in my bumper brackets and hitch receiver, then used ready rod to bolt it to the bumper. then I got a class 3 hitch, without ball, flipped it upside-down, got my buddy to weld a steel plate big enough to mount my winch on. After that i put the hitch in the receiver, pushed it all the way in, to see how much i could cut off.(to make sure it did not hit the radiator or be have the winch mounted out too far causing it to bounce while going over a bumpy trail.

oh ya, and i had a winch safety-pin with a key lock on it, in-case someone tries to make off with it.

I've seen ones like your saying but my truck had Smitty built bumpers on both the front and back with the mounts in them allready.I cheaped out on the mount and made one out of 1/4 inch angle iron and 1/4 inch squire tubing.I then got my cheap winch(chicago electric 10k model)and mounted it.I justed used a pin held on with a cottor pin and took it off before driving the truck any place.

I am sure alot will not agree with me but I would just get a lockright for the rear instead of the ARB and spend the extra on skid plates and sliders for your rig, If you are set on eather the winch or a ARB I would get a ARB for the front axle and still use a cheep lockright in the rear.

Ask yourself do you want to drive through a bad spot or winch through?

I would get the locker along with a high lift and come-along. Then you can pull yourself up, forward, backward, or sideways. More versatile for less $.

Edited by 4wdRequired

for the 1000+ bucks for an ARB, i'd say go for a $300 winch, sliders, skid plates,on board air, and something like a new rear bumper.....all that stuff, or one thing you can't see!?

Plus, you KNOW you will use all the stuff I listed atleast once and they will save you lots of grief and money in the longrun (do I need to get pictures of my rocksliders and underbody?), whereas its a crapshoot whether a locker will really make a big difference for you or not...

Heck, you could get an ARB Bumper and a Winch for less than the price of an air locker....

Btw, that sale is for all ARB, not just rugged rocks, they sent me an email i'm pretty sure..

Edited by OldSlowReliable

for the 1000+ bucks for an ARB, i'd say go for a $300 winch, sliders, skid plates,on board air, and something like a new rear bumper.....all that stuff, or one thing you can't see!?

Plus, you KNOW you will use all the stuff I listed atleast once and they will save you lots of grief and money in the longrun (do I need to get pictures of my rocksliders and underbody?), whereas its a crapshoot whether a locker will really make a big difference for you or not...

Heck, you could get an ARB Bumper and a Winch for less than the price of an air locker....

Btw, that sale is for all ARB, not just rugged rocks, they sent me an email i'm pretty sure..

I def second this. The xtra little stuff and a winch personally would make me feel like its christmas compared to spending all that money on one item. And youll get out of some tuff situations and get stuck a little less with sliders etc. Id put a cheap rear locker on if anything too. I personally dont see getting a expensive winch either, there are plenty of things to make a cheap winch just as viable, such as pullies and add on lines which cost almost nothing. I got a 3k winch from Harbor Freight tools and plan to pick up a pully to make it a 6k winch, all of which cost me well under $100. Not to mention, its remote controlled! =) Just saying for the price of air lockers, you could get a lot and every time you look at your vehicle youll see it and smile even bigger then before - on and off the trail.

Edited by 4xKory