Locker Vs. Winch(Or Accessories)

beastpath

21 members have voted

1. 1. What should I spend my hard earned tax refund on?

• ARB Locker+compressor
    • Winch
    • Random other stuff - rock sliders, tinting, steering, alarm etc.

Red posted a review from one of the offroad mags a while back, it actually beat out a couple name brands because they broke down.

Awesome! I saw they have a 8000# for $299. I could hang the pathfinder from a tree with that. None of the harbor freight power tools I have has ever failed on me. I you watch the sales you can pickup a 110 volt electric 1/2 drive impact for $40. This thing has good power too. Saved me a few times.

James

Hey James, I got a Smittybilt XRC8000 from 4 wheel parts for $250+tax. (Drove to the local store)

Currently they are $299+ free shipping. Just saying that there are good options in that price range, and 8000lbs is considered the realistic minimum for the 4000lb Pathy, some people even go to 10k and 12k... :shrug:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Smittybilt-Electric-Winch-8-000-to-10-500-lbs.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426

B

Hey James, I got a Smittybilt XRC8000 from 4 wheel parts for $250+tax. (Drove to the local store)

Currently they are $299+ free shipping. Just saying that there are good options in that price range, and 8000lbs is considered the realistic minimum for the 4000lb Pathy, some people even go to 10k and 12k... :shrug:

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-Winch-Accessories/Smittybilt-Electric-Winch-8-000-to-10-500-lbs.aspx?t_c=18&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426

B

I never checked any names other than warn, that is a good deal. But, y'all got me wanting to spend my money on a locker right now. Y'all are a bad influence I need to stop checking this forum! I know I can't stop though!

I've been reading some reviews on the lock right, can it handle everything the pathy's 3.0 can give it? Can I dump the clutch on pavement and not break it? And most important can I still pull a trailer and turn at the same time? I can handle some noise but I will need to be able to pull a trailer.

James

B

dang thats nice to know, thanks B!

I took my crappy winch back and will save for a better one haha! I musta been :crazy: to think I could use that thing!

Edited by 4xKory

Thanks for all the input guys. It gave me a lot to think about.

Your input has made me see it's more cost effective at the moment for me to do a series of smaller things over the next few months than to spend a lot on a locker.

Even a winch is wasted money right now as I hardly get myself into situations where I would need one.

So for now I'm going to throw my resources at fine tuning what my truck looks like and fixing/upgrading multiple smaller things that I have on the list. Then hopefully with any graduation presents I get I'll do the locker around September of this year.

My short list (in no particular order):

1. Panhard dropdown bracket

2. CB Radio

3. Recessed Sub box

4. Redo Tint (before it becomes like a furnace again in AZ)

5. Rock sliders

6. Front carpet

7. Alarm

8. Integrated tool box

9. Centerlink/Manual steering box upgrade

10. Perhaps a new stereo head unit

After this stuff is done I'll worry about a locker.

Thanks for putting everything in perspective.

Well, I think that a locker makes a huge difference on the trails, but even a locker can't get you out of every situation and I think that a winch should come first. I know that I get so used to having the winch that I put myself in situations that can get me in trouble when I am driving a rig without one.

A winch should be first, then lockers for sure, and to top it off you should get good sliders. Some other things to consider are a strong fast air compressor to be able to air down on the trails, a nice roof rack to carry shovels, hi-lift jacks, extra spare tire, etc. If you spend allot of time on serious trails, then an ARB bumper would be a good investment and a good aftermarket rear bumper would not be a bad idea either. A body lift is a cheap way to get better tire clearance without changing the geometry of the driveline.

Hope this helps...

MrJim

Well, I think that a locker makes a huge difference on the trails, but even a locker can't get you out of every situation and I think that a winch should come first. I know that I get so used to having the winch that I put myself in situations that can get me in trouble when I am driving a rig without one.

A winch should be first, then lockers for sure, and to top it off you should get good sliders. Some other things to consider are a strong fast air compressor to be able to air down on the trails, a nice roof rack to carry shovels, hi-lift jacks, extra spare tire, etc. If you spend allot of time on serious trails, then an ARB bumper would be a good investment and a good aftermarket rear bumper would not be a bad idea either. A body lift is a cheap way to get better tire clearance without changing the geometry of the driveline.

Hope this helps...

MrJim

Yeah, I've got a pretty good roof rack/lights, hi-lift etc. Definitely want the bigger air compressor when I do the ARB lockers.

Will be getting the sliders pretty soon courtesy of my GF, and I would love a rear bumper - similar to the one KMA makes but cheaper haha.

I never checked any names other than warn, that is a good deal. But, y'all got me wanting to spend my money on a locker right now. Y'all are a bad influence I need to stop checking this forum! I know I can't stop though!

I've been reading some reviews on the lock right, can it handle everything the pathy's 3.0 can give it? Can I dump the clutch on pavement and not break it? And most important can I still pull a trailer and turn at the same time? I can handle some noise but I will need to be able to pull a trailer.

James

Um, the 3.0 doesn't exactly throw *much* at a LockRight or the rear end in general. ;) I've run one for 4 years or so, towed a 16' boat 500 miles round trip, and I haul a smaller utility trailer often with no issues. I've also laid some smoke shows on my old tires (bye bye 31 Pro Comps!), no issues at all.

I'd also 2nd, 3rd, etc. doing the locker 1st (after good tires), then winch and stuff later, though sliders and protection are always good. The Aussie lockers are spendy, at least compared to what a Pathy is worth these days. A Lock Right will get you many places in 2wd other Pathy's can't go in 4wd stock, and wheeling with friends is always good protection, though you could find yourself REALLY stuck in mud or deep snow where normal rigs can't help.

Um, the 3.0 doesn't exactly throw *much* at a LockRight or the rear end in general. ;) I've run one for 4 years or so, towed a 16' boat 500 miles round trip, and I haul a smaller utility trailer often with no issues. I've also laid some smoke shows on my old tires (bye bye 31 Pro Comps!), no issues at all.

I'd also 2nd, 3rd, etc. doing the locker 1st (after good tires), then winch and stuff later, though sliders and protection are always good. The Aussie lockers are spendy, at least compared to what a Pathy is worth these days. A Lock Right will get you many places in 2wd other Pathy's can't go in 4wd stock, and wheeling with friends is always good protection, though you could find yourself REALLY stuck in mud or deep snow where normal rigs can't help.

Awesome! Thank for the review you answered my questions, now I will put a lock right on the list too. It just seems too good to be true that something with a good price and easy to install would hold up.

James