What type of stereo head unit do you use?

MaritimeMan

Brand?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Brand?

• Stock
    • Alpine
    • Sony
    • Eclipse
    • Pioneer
    • Blaupunkt
    • Clarion
    • Kenwood
    • Panasonic

Rami !! Thats where my stereo went ??? Tell me who sold it to you !!! Just kidding. I have an Eclipse (45 watt per channel) that came with the truck and god knows what speakers, but its plenty for me... Debating if my bass box goes into the Pathy or my VW Bug convertible...

Bernard

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guy sold it to me behind K mart he said he stole it from YOU!!! JK JK JK my buddy sold it to me. It came out of his VW Jetta that he wrecked and now hes got a WRX and doesnt want to switch decks. He also wanted to sell me a kicker comp 15 or somethin and box for 200 but I dont have money.

Rami

Precise, you'll be so happy with an Eclipse. Seriously, its about the most worry free, hardest rocking, non-skipping, best deck money can buy. Had Pioneer, Sony, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood, RF, on down the line. Ecplise is the best money can buy, hands down, end of conversation, please go back to your trailer with your Kenwood, thank you.

HMMMMMM, do I detect some flaming from the picklemeister ? :nono: Sorry, I'll stay with my Kenwood, try looking at specs ~ i.e. S/N ratios, FM selectivity, etc. ~ very little difference if any among the leading brands, so it basically boils down to personal preference. -argue- Unless you're an anal-retentive audiophile, the average person is never going to hear the minute differences. Especially in the confines of the less than acoustically perfect Pathy interior as you bounce down the road with your K & N sucking, headers & Flowmasters blatting, MT's humming, wind noise, rattles, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum..... :oops:

:contract: I looked at Alpine, Sony, Pioneer, Clarion, R/F and yes, Eclipse, along with a few other brands. I thought for the money, the best bang for the buck was with Kenwood as I was on a lower then average budget when my last H/U bit the dust. Though I didn't spend in the $400.~$500. range on my units, I've been more than happy with sound quality/features/functions. Eclipse makes some nice units no doubt, but I fail to see where their cost is reflected in their performance, anymore than I can with Alpine or R/F. Some people think the name's the game, otherwise you wouldn't see idiots driving around with "Alpine" or something else advertised all over their rigs, then wonder why it got broken into. Same dips that'll pay $59. for a T-shirt 'cause it says "Nike" on it.

Take a look at USAcoustics amps some time, they do very little advertising. Their equipment costs 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a comparable R/F unit, and blows them completely out of the water specs-wise. But then you couldn't brag that you had "Brand X" in your rig. Style over substance... :crazy:

When I go to upgrade, I'll definately look at brands/specs/functions/expandability, and wouldn't be surprised if I find myself seriously looking at Kenwood again.

The snide remark about trailer parks was uncalled for IMHO, smacks of a Freudian slip to me.... -thnkboutit-

I am runnin a kenwood cd player/radio with earthquake eq, 2x12's and 2x1000 watt amps..hehehe ... sssh and stock 6x9's in back with 2x 4x6's up front.....can we say "bump in the trunk"? LOL. i'm hittin about 1500-watts. Oh yeah..and a Kenwood 6 disc cd changer in back too. rock on KENWOOD! -bounce- (though i miss my blau) :sniff:

Edited by Slick

• 1 year later...

well i have JVC deck. which isnt even in the list thanks. well lets just say I love that it has like 234234features and a touchscreen. but in the winter it can really suck. it likes to say connection error and not do stuff alot. all my audio is in my sig. I am prolly going eclipse or alpine in the summer and new speakers as well. heck mabey a newER pathfinder.

edit

pathy66xs.th.jpg

Edited by iLLlegal

Use to use the stock as of 2 hours ago, now i use a Sony Xplod (Free from my work.....5 finger discount)....Those WalMart Scosche wiring connectors are a life saver!....Model NN032 for my 97 R50 with the Bose....for anyone interested.

Well as per my sig I have a Kenwood deck. It's a couple of years old but it was a heckuva deal. I got it from a friend of a friend, I also got two amps (a 100x2 RMS clarion, and a 50x2 RMS Alpine) and 5 1/4" JBL component speakers. All that for $60! I still haven't installed the amps or the components, but I did install some Kenwood 6x9's. Love my set up stereo doesn't skip and it plays really loud (20 is about the highest I go for fear of seriously hurting my ears).

The Clarion LCD headunit I've been running for 3 years now is starting to see its day. All the problems originate from the faceplate.

-The open button on the faceplace which automatically pushes the whole unit foward so you can flip up the LCD screen, the button is stuck down. So you have to manually pull the unit out to flip it up. :huh:

-Once it gets cold, the deck will not even power up. No clock, nothing. Its like as if there was a loose connection or something wasn't grounded. It takes about 20 minutes of driving before the unit automatically powers on, and my antenna starts going up. This starts at about the end of Fall. :rolleyes:

-The front panel display(when the unit is in its "in" position) sometimes will not display the time, or won't be backlit, or sometimes even just display random pixels. I have to push on the faceplate above where the connection between the unit and faceplate is and that will sometimes solve the problem. :oops:

I looked into getting a replacement faceplate and on the Clarion site it was around $120! :o I'm not sure what my next unit will be. I already have a Clarion cd changer, and EQ, it would just be easier to swap in the same. Since I've mounted the laptop in the Pathy, I really don't have the need for an LCD anymore...just something with Aux inputs.

Here's what I'm working with.

354764_7_full.jpg

354764_8_full.jpg

Edit: I did some googling and found a couple of reviews on this unit. Funny they have the same problem when the weather is cold.

Edited by DJ Dank

i have a pioneer deh-4600mp...swapped out the stock bose deck to put it in my dad's q45 as something was faulty with his bose. the pioneer deck is awesome...love it. i've had a lot of different brands...no probs as of yet...a sony mini disc player in my celica, kenwood excelon in the rav4, a jvc in the van, and a panasonic in the truck...not bad at all.

here's a pic of my deck

50410536DEH-P4600MP_big.jpg

Edited by QuismO

Well....something froze and broke inside of my Clarion, and now it wont load CDs...

I'm replacing it with this bad boy...

h500CDA9855-f.jpeg

Alpine CDA-9855 - It's a beautiful array of styling and audio engineering...I love it! :aok:

I'm also getting the iPod controller for it and the XM Tuner....nothing better than a little Playboy station on XM while 4wheelin! :lol::lol::lol: Just playin!! :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by vengeful

Well....something froze and broke inside of my Clarion, and now it wont load CDs...

I'm replacing it with this bad boy...

h500CDA9855-f.jpeg

Alpine CDA-9855 - It's a beautiful array of styling and audio engineering...I love it! :aok:

I'm also getting the iPod controller for it and the XM Tuner....nothing better than a little Playboy station on XM while 4wheelin! :lol::lol::lol: Just playin!! :lol::lol::lol:

What is up with Clarions's on the cold weather? :angry:

I have XM but I'm about to cancel it. I've had it close to a year now and haven't been too impressed. Too similar to regular radio...always same songs.

Yeah, you gotta pay extra for the Playboy channel...what fun is just the audio? :secret:

I've had Sirius for 9 months and I love it. They do repeat the most popular songs on some stations, but it's well woth the commercial and static free music. I have an adapter in each car as well as the home base and the boom box for the garage.

woot im still going stock! :takebow: i must say it is one of the loudest stock stereo sys out there and i have never had a problem with it skiping. my only issue is it picks and choses what burned cds its going to play. i think its going to stay there for awhile dont got the money and when i get the money its going it to that lift.

Edited by deadkennedys

I've got an older Pioneer Cassete deck w/ a matching 6 disk cd changer in the pathy, coupled with Pioneer 100W 3 way speakers front and rear ( I believe.) It sounds pretty good even though its a few years old.

The pioneer stuff came with the truck, and I've always bought Sony otherwise. In my VW I've got a Sony MP3 Player with the active black panel and flip down screen. It works just fine for me.

I'm not much of an audiophile though, I just want something that sounds better than stock, I'm to tone deaf to tell the diffrence between my stuff and an alpine. :shrug:

I voted Alpine because I will have one in the near future. Eclipse is a very well respected brand.

Sony anything sucks...I'm sorry, I just don't see why they still have such a good reputation.

I really miss the Sirius satellite radio I had in my old ZJ with a Kenwood HU. I find it unbearable now to listen to FM.

, besides ps2 dis read error..

Not to go offtopic, but if you still have the PS2 thats throwing the error its a pretty easy fix. Just have to adjust the laser angle gear a few degrees. Theres a couple of DIY's out on the net about it. Did it myself two years ago.

lol, i tried doing that a few years ago.. i think i screwed it up good, the reason i was complaining is cause all the friends i have got one at launch also, and they all did it!!

Now, back to topic, i got into a competition with all my jl10w3 buddies yesterday, and kicked there ass with my stage 2 punch subs, my box is wicked!!