Insurance...did you telle them about your modifs..

fleurys

When I called tonight my insurer about the modification I was doing on my truck, I thought I was doing the right thing...Asking them if I was to be covered in case of an accident. As soon as I said the word "modification", she said, you might not even be asurable anymore....we don't assure vehicule modified....

I knew I was fskced...I told her, that I changed the coil spring for "bertter one" and put mud tires for the looks and that I was only going to go offroad once in while... She finally said, well,, go get your truck evaluated there and we'll see, but you'll have to stop ...no more modification on it or else we cancel everything..!

I have 2 cars and my house on them. Never claimed anything, have a clean record and have been with them for propably 10 years...

What are your experiences....does your insurer know about your modifs...???how r us insured ?? (full or only 1 side..) how about fire, and stealing..

S.

I have not, for the same reason's as you stated.

I carry liability only on my vehicles, as I didn't pay a lot for them in the first place.

If someone hits me, and it's not my fault, insurance will cover the repairs even without collision insurance coverage

If I hit someone and it's my fault, I'm not making a claim, and will try my best to have the other person not call insurance either, just pay to have their vehicle repaired (but I have body shop connections)

As far as theft, I will do whatever I can to make sure my stuff cannot be taken. When I mount a winch on the truck, I'm going to mig weld the bolts so they can't be un-bolted, same as any lights, bumper, etc...

When it comes to insurance, it better be worth your while to make a claim. In my business, I see so many people call their insurance for small dings and scrapes on their cars, pay $300/$500/$1000 deductables, when a lot of the time, I could have repaired it for what they paid for a deductable, or close to it. Now they've got a claim against their record, and even though a lot of companies forgive the 1st one, as soon as they have a 2nd one, they pay 10x over for that repair in increased premiums.

Edited by morpheus

My insureance company(USAA) said the can have my insureance re-evaluated for "investments" like a new engine, new paint, new wheels(but not tires) to increase the coverage value of the vehcle should theft or accident occur.

I currently only carry liabily on my pathy but when the motor goes in, so will the coverage.

Edited by MY1PATH

The only thing my insurance knows about is my "aftermarket tint" and aftermarket stereo system...If something happens, like it did, I can usually get stock parts cheap or even free from the great members on these boards. I don't have collision either. Only liability and fire/theft.

When I called tonight my insurer about the modification I was doing on my truck, I thought I was doing the right thing...Asking them if I was to be covered in case of an accident. As soon as I said the word "modification", she said, you might not even be asurable anymore....we don't assure vehicule modified....

I knew I was fskced...I told her, that I changed the coil spring for "bertter one" and put mud tires for the looks and that I was only going to go offroad once in while... She finally said, well,, go get your truck evaluated there and we'll see, but you'll have to stop ...no more modification on it or else we cancel everything..!

I have 2 cars and my house on them. Never claimed anything, have a clean record and have been with them for propably 10 years...

What are your experiences....does your insurer know about your modifs...???how r us insured ?? (full or only 1 side..) how about fire, and stealing..

S.

...Specifically in quebec, they( insurance companies )are such a bunch of organized institutionnal bandits... ( i am sure this is more than universal ) ...don't say a word... because the day they are going to bury you they are going skin you anyway... they are after money and if you show it ($) they are going to roll you in flour and cake you.., so just shut it with them . when they don't know what to do, they give you answers like you got, and when they know, they roll out the red carpet and they are out for lunch... and you are on the menu !!

Average insurance companies,( the secretary)stands for the written lines of every day contracts..beyong that point ? it is going to be costly... that is what is unfortunately business is often all about... how much insurance do you need ? well you got the answer...

the average person thinks that paying will cover...

P.S. my sister lives in a building of 144 apartments complex in montreal on a montain edge, a heating pipe broke, 20 some appartments got flooded, including hers... she found out that she was insures for earthquake, but not for flooding...

and by the way, being totally french myselfzzzzzzzz...did you telle them about your modifs.., telle meeeeeeee ? lol... y va me tomber dessus !! :whistle:

Edited by Pinip

telle them....yeah typo here.... hahaha...

Anyway It's too late to go back now....she said the phone conversation was recorded and now , well, it's either I had the truck evaluated or I have to find a new insurance company. It's ok, for now...I'll have the truck evaluated and she'll offer me a coverage as long as I dont modify more....well I guess 2 air lockers is not really a modif since you don't really see it... Anyway i know that I'm losing this kind of investment anyway (internal modifs).. eventhough i know my insurance payments will go higher, at least if I get stolen or totaled, then they at least will give back more than what I had before... I'll tell when all this is done....

I got raped by Eerie when my Accord was stolen and the 1k of parts were stripped...I even had all the receipts!

I have a friend with another company that covered all of his stereo equipment AND his gulf clubs in the trunk when his Mustang was stolen...I need to get with that one...

I don't think I can buy insurance that would cover more than the minimums on my Pathy. Last time I asked they said it was too old for complete coverage. I said, "Well, I had it when I was making payments on it, why is it any different now?"

Now it's not a piece of collateral against a loan for a big company...that's all.

We don't have any inspections for anything vehicle-related here in Oregon. To register they have to see the car and verify that there's a VIN number that matches the title, that's it. 'Course, I'm sure if wheels were falling off and there was no windshield they'd stop me and make me fix it first but otherwise nobody cares.

We don't have any inspections for anything vehicle-related here in Oregon. To register they have to see the car and verify that there's a VIN number that matches the title, that's it. 'Course, I'm sure if wheels were falling off and there was no windshield they'd stop me and make me fix it first but otherwise nobody cares.

My kind of state! Here in DC they inspect everything - emissions, emergency braking, lights, turn signals blah blah. It's just a giant revenue scam,

I had my Pathfinder inspected before the mods and got one valid for 2 years. Around here, they tend to care most about emissions and that your lights are visible.

As far as insurance, you can play the same numbers game they do. Basically, what are the odds of your car being stolen or you totaling your car ? (Someone else totals it, they pay so you're indifferent.) Weigh the value of the car (with mods) against the probability of theft/totaling and compare that to the insurance premium. You can tilt the probability in your favor. E.g., if you live in an area with high crime or are worried about parts being stolen, it may be worth spending $300 on a premium alarm to protect $5k of mods on a $10k car. There are now ones for < $200 that will even call your cell phone if the alarm goes off and allow you to disable the car via your cellphone. As far risk of your totaling it - well, you control that more than anyone else so you have to figure whether it's worth it to pay up for a freak accident.

For example, in my case, I weighed Pathy cost ($13k before tax) + Mods (still in denial on that bill), adjusted for the fact that I live in a low-crime part of DC (yes, such things exist, thank God) and no longer drive like a maniac on the road. (Growing old *sigh*) I decided to increase the odds by trying out one of these cell-phone alarm things. I also figured that if I *do* roll the car offroad, insurance may pay but then goodbye getting insurance again at anything approaching reasonable rates. So I dumped my collision and reduced my comprehensive to almost nothing. (Car < $20k if stolen.) That cut my bill more than half. I now pay $500/year for sick (hundreds of thousands) amounts of liability coverage. God forbid I hit something or someone. If I do, any reasonable amount will be covered by insurance.

Sorry if that was wordy. Hope it helps.

- GPG.

Edited by GoPathyGo

I don't think I can buy insurance that would cover more than the minimums on my Pathy. Last time I asked they said it was too old for complete coverage. I said, "Well, I had it when I was making payments on it, why is it any different now?"

Now it's not a piece of collateral against a loan for a big company...that's all.

In the portland area of oregon you have to go through DEQ and while you are there they check vin numbers. They say nothing about any mods on your vehicle as long as all the required things to be street legal are there and your tires don't stick out to far apast your fenders. where i grew up in the country in south west oregon they sent you all your info in the mail you filled it out sent it back and got your tags in the mail We had mismatched engines in rigs like 350's in old toyotas driving down the street and no one said anything. When I tried to bring my old wagonner to the portland area I quickly learned There was no way it would pass DEQ dual straight piped exhaust no cats and 32" glasspacks. The area where 88pathoffroad lives at is between the 2 places i talked about. Back to the point I just wanted it known that That the system works different ways in different parts of oregon.

Side note: make sure you have a buyback clause in your insurance policy get back the rig for cheep after the collision and put your parts on the next 1 you buy:) I make sure it is in every insurance policy I get witch limits the companys I can use many do not have it in there.

Edited by BoneZ

*coughs* yah, when i wanted to do full coverage to drive king to indiana, my agent lou (been my ins agent for 11 yrs) asked about king's mods. when i told her, she said to stfu and stay quiet.(they have to take PICS for full coverage here) if the insurer knew, they would CANCEL king's insurance cuz of his mods.......... so i stfu and am keeping plpd til he gets to indiana............

Edited by Slick

*coughs* yah, when i wanted to do full coverage to drive king to indiana, my agent lou (been my ins agent for 11 yrs) asked about king's mods. when i told her, she said to stfu and stay quiet.(they have to take PICS for full coverage here) if the insurer knew, they would CANCEL king's insurance cuz of his mods.......... so i stfu and am keeping plpd til he gets to indiana............

stfu ?? translation please... and plpd ??... wind is blowing hard...barely heard what you were saying...or am i going deaf ?

Edited by Pinip

stfu and plpd? This is what this world is coming to in the land of technology. Soon, text books will have this, the bible will have 'OMG" in it and no one will laugh, they'll just say 'LOL'. Dead world!! (sorry, off topic)

On my RX-7 (I know, not a pathy, but same principle) i got covered. Then i dropped about 3.5k in it. Told the insurance company, and they said they would cover it. I faxed them reciepts, and they acknowleged they got them. Got into an accident (dumb mistake on my part - but i don't race on the street!!) and the insurance company dropped me! HEY! What the hell? They paid for damages and all that, then dropped me. Said that because my car had mods, they put it in the equation that these mods had a part in the accident (which is not possible since it was mainly suspension on the car) and that it was in the best intrest in the company to not cover me. Tell me that doesn't blow? But at leas they covered everything before dropping me that time.

Sorry if its a bit long, but thats my story. Now when i do mods, i will not tell the insurance company. There is way that i have heard of. A buddy told me that if you tel the insurance company that you can have an ASE certified mechanic inspect it and declare that non of the mods contribute to any un-safetyness (is that even a word?!?!) that the insurerer should have no problem insuring you. Just hear say, but i never asked before.

Jose

I've never had any problems with my insurance company and the modifications on my vehicles. Heck, when my dads car got flooded, the tow yard stole the stereo out of it, they asked what was in there and gave us full retail + labor for it, even though it was 3+ years old.

When I had gotten into a couple of incidents with my Pathfinder, they asked me about the modifications, and the adjuster was impressed and thought it was cool! I had an extra rider on my policy for some of the modifications on the Pathy.

I've never had any problems with my insurance company and the modifications on my vehicles. Heck, when my dads car got flooded, the tow yard stole the stereo out of it, they asked what was in there and gave us full retail + labor for it, even though it was 3+ years old.

When I had gotten into a couple of incidents with my Pathfinder, they asked me about the modifications, and the adjuster was impressed and thought it was cool! I had an extra rider on my policy for some of the modifications on the Pathy.

Wow! Nice. Who's your insurance company ?