Fun at work, this is my world

Precise1

As for my work, Handyman, I have about 10gig of pictures on my comp from different jobs I have done. I'm somplace new doingsomething different almost daily, so there is no real "typical" thing I can post a pic of. I will file through and see if I can't find a couple winners to share while I'm stuck at home next week.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now did you take the pic before or after you pulled the guy out?...

Before :D Actually before I started taking pictures. And he panicked too. Wanted to go back and get his lunch and tools from the cab. Problem is that the machine was pointed downhill and the door had to be swung up-hill and held so he could get out. Sort of scary for a few moments. I have worked in the woods for nigh on 30 years and this was the first time I had been on seen of such a machine fire. I had talked with the operator a about 1/2 hr before this and was just up the hill form him when I noted the smoke.

Here is the cab after:

IMG_0262.jpg

IMG_0255.jpg

And the motor (fire was a result of the fuel line bursting and spraying diesel on the turbo/exhaust manifold. Do not know why the built-in suppression system did not work):

IMG_0248.jpg

Man if i had your job, i would have a badass 4x4 so i could go anywhere...

With the downturn in our industry, I hardly have a use for my truck anymore except to drive to far away towns (2,000 kms last week). I am looking maybe to go smaller/more fuel efficient rather than bigger :shrug:

Good topic. Some interesting jobs u guys got. I'm a mechanical engineer and I work in the hydro-electric industry. My group is involved with the maintenance of the turbines. I have an office in the city that I am based out of but I routinely travel out to the generating stations (most are in the middle of nowhere) to provide technical assistance. I don't have any pics to add at the moment...

Details arent boring...what kind of engineering?

the company has all kinds of enginerd and does all kinds of civil e. work. we're big in infrastructure.

i do surveying and r/w engineering. i work in the office, never travel but i do work on things far away at times. i'm hoping to get out a bit but we'll see.

That explains the "previous knowledge" on the energy topic...How long have you been in industry about 4 years?

I've been out of school for just over 4 years, but I've only been at this job for just under 2 years. I'm really enjoying though and plan to stay for a while, great job, great pay/benifits, really interesting. Last job was in manufacturing, it was boring...

I work for an Animation Company down here at Los Angeles, It is a HK based company, so they are outsourcing people here, so in short we are taking the jebs of the peeps in HK. We also have satellite offices in Europe. I am a corporate slut and one perk is that I get to travel a lot for general meetings all over. Fun and tiring at times. I'll get some pics of the playroom here but mostly it is just a bunch of cubes and offices, nothing fantastic. Oh yeah we are making ASTROBOY CG Movie. We were at ANIMEEXPO and now at COMICON San Diego. Just look for IMAGI Studios

LMAO @ "corporate slut".

Here is a lens array that I made. 18 lenses in 2 rows, two different optical perscriptions, all of them +/- 1 micron positional tolerance in X,Y and Z axis. They are spaced 251.8 microns apart (.01") so yes, they are small. Each lens is about 3 blonde human hairs in diamter. It took me about 20 hours to make...

BLLensArray026.jpg

This is the fixture I designed and made to produce the lens array. The brass assemblys on either end are 127TPI (.2mm) screws that allow me to position the center carriage VERY accurately. This is all measured by the Heidenhain electronic indicator on the left side with a resolution of .1 microns (4 millionths of an inch).

BLLensArray016.jpg

This is what I invent and produce in order to get NO FARKING RAISE!!! (Yes, I'm still very pissed!!)

N

Here is a lens array that I made. 18 lenses in 2 rows, two different optical perscriptions, all of them +/- 1 micron positional tolerance in X,Y and Z axis. They are spaced 251.8 microns apart (.01") so yes, they are small. Each lens is about 3 blonde human hairs in diamter. It took me about 20 hours to make...

BLLensArray026.jpg

WTF, making glasses for a near sighted spider?

Here's my world, or atleast until I can graduate college

Buffing some floors

IMG_0497.jpg

haha i didnt know we had a custodial technician on the board!

these pathfinders dont pay for themselves now do they!

haha i didnt know we had a custodial technician on the board!

I've been dealing with the Three P's since '06 (piss, poop & puke). Ya gotta love urine on the computer lab floor, a turd in the urinal & vomit flung all over 3 1st grade desks, as well as 2 students & a teachers aid... weak stomatched fools!

these pathfinders dont pay for themselves now do they!

Hell no, but mine has been paid for since '03. Since before the 1st time I dropped out of college back '04, after a couple of years of a Pre-Med degree. But for now this job pays until I finish my art degree then... well then I'll probably still do the same sh!t cause lets face it, there aren't a whole lot of options out there for artisits...

So most of you ho's now that I hate me job. But in all actuallity I dont mind the work just the job and the owners of the company can kiss my A$$. Im a Geological Hydrocarbon Consultant which is a glorified way of saying that im a mud logger. I work on oil and gas drilling rigs. I monitor gas reading and drilling opperations and taking samples of cuttings, look at them and log them in to the Mud log. Its actually intresting work as im one of the only people who will ever see what im seeing and after I look at the sample its gone for ever.

But here are a couple of pics from my "office"

Colorado

100_1642.jpg

100_1638-1.jpg

Texas

rigshots021.jpg

rigshots005.jpg

rigshots015.jpg

IMG_3024.jpg

Some sweet jobs here! Personally I am a Track Foreman for Idaho Northern and Pacific Rail Road (Short Line). Nothing to exciting, change ties, inspect track, maintain the equipment. Normal wrap sheet for a shortline guy. My work trucks are as fallows, 03 F350 Super duty (High railer w/ flat bed), 80's GMC boom truck w/ a 10,000 pound lift all and an 80's Gradall Extend/Bucket... not sure what the real name of it is... but for sure it's a piece of work. 1/2 hour just get get it on the tracks then keeping her going when it's cold, SUCKS. But yeah my job isn't too bad except the pay. We get to high rail the tracks whenever we want outside of work to go fishing or what ever... I don't plan on being here much longer (going to school this fall). Here is a pic of the back of the Gradall...

DSCN0155.jpg (Green thing in the back ground)

Here's my world, or atleast until I can graduate college

Buffing some floors

That's as good of a work picture as I have ever seen!! :clap:

WTF, making glasses for a near sighted spider?

Nah, that one is a right angle fiber optic connector. It is for either sat com links or the shuttle, I can't remember right now. All considered, salary VS magnitude is pathetic.

We get to high rail the tracks whenever we want outside of work to go fishing or what ever...

Now thats a bene I see value in!! Cool Bud!

B

Blah, blah, blah... After all that effort you'd think that you could SAY what you do!! I did say 'share', not 'photograph'. :rolleyes:

B

Fine :lol:

A little more detail, I work in the telecom industry for a combination of a major regional bell and a large long time independent telco (that means that prior to merger they were never part of the Bell company.. "Ma Bell" the "old" AT&T) Calling it a regional anything is no longer acurate, given we are all over the country and have operations around the world.

I am in the Structured Cabling group (8yrs now total / but only a little over a year now, directly with the company, I was a contractor before). The work that the customer/contract that I am dedicated to entails way more than just standard building infrastructure (not simply installing aphone or computer jack at someones desk). We do it all for them, voice/network, proprietary and classified networks, inside/outside, above and below ground. Covering installation, removal, modifications, troubleshooting and repair. Everything from end to end. From the street all the way to the desktop, even the equipment itself at times. Copper/fiber optic cabling and combinations of both (most everything used both at some point) Service hookups/disconnects/troubleshoots.

For over a year now I have been primarily handling the fiber optic side of things. I have been dodging the Project Management title (although I fill in a lot, including this week) but it appears that the fiber PM may be transferring out soon, so I may no longer be able to get out of it. Although they cannot force me to do it, the alternatives are none to attractive. And given that I do "most" of the duties as it is (I direct the crew and address most things myself, including with dealing with the customers about 60-75% of the time, calling on the current PM only when I don't have the time or simply do not want to deal with something :lol: Most of my time is billed to PM anyway and this is all inaddition to my normal duties as a tech. :shrug: I am not big on being the PM because the compensation for officially PM'ing is, simply put, NOT worth the headache. That I and I don't like the idea of being the new manager/super's scape goat! :nono: If the now "outgoing" Local Manger had not decided to leave, then I would not have any issue with the position.

And for us, we are "Acting" PM's anyway, basicly corporates way around the union and having to hire real full time salaried PM's.

I would post some pictures of some of my actual work, but I cannot take any. It sucks but it's just not worth my job, potentially my freedom and besides in the end, I would "at least" lose the pics anyway. I can try and find something "close to" or at least basic examples of part of what I do if anyone is interested :shrug:

Here's my little slice of hell

hell.jpg

Hey I know where that is... I am just a few miles south of it quite often and I drove right by a week ago while at work myself lol