Guys don't kill me, a 4x4 turning on question, HELP I can't go 4hi, only down

NaturaTek

• 4 months later...

The thing with 4lo is to make sure the gears have all stopped turning. Be sure you are STOPPED, and have been stopped for a few seconds after putting the shifter into neutral. Then, pull the 4x4 lever into neutral, push it down, and SLAM it home into 4x4 lo. It may still make a little noise depending on if all the gears have stopped moving or not - I guess because of how far the gearing gets "geared down", the gears don't syncro-mesh right away when moving from 4hi to 4lo, hence the funky noises.

The thing with 4lo is to make sure the gears have all stopped turning. Be sure you are STOPPED, and have been stopped for a few seconds after putting the shifter into neutral. Then, pull the 4x4 lever into neutral, push it down, and SLAM it home into 4x4 lo. It may still make a little noise depending on if all the gears have stopped moving or not - I guess because of how far the gearing gets "geared down", the gears don't syncro-mesh right away when moving from 4hi to 4lo, hence the funky noises.

Does the transfer case have syncros?

Keep in mind guys, most new 4x4 (the yuppie ones) have push button 4wheel drive. It can be quite intimidating for someone to try and drive our dinosour 4X4's.

Sometimes the easiest things can dumbfound the smartest people. I think we should keep our judgments off the forums.

Mark

actually i have to disagree.

My2002 power stroke deisel with electric controlled T-case (not pushbutton, but a 3 possitoin switch onthe dash) is harder to get into 4x4 than my pathy..

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I saw this thread and thought cool someone else had the same problem but after some good gut laughs remembering the hard time I had figuring out my 4x4 shifter back in the day I realized nope not the same problem, My problem I had last week coming down off the MT was I really couldn't get her out of 4wheel figured something wasn't lined up so I just put her in reverse and backed up about a inch or so and she came out just fine! But now Im asking the question What fluid did those guys at the tranny shop put in my T-case??? is that bronze I smell getting eaten?#%$@!! time to give'm a call ASAP!

• 9 months later...

One thing I'm always careful about is when removing from 4H/4L back into 2H I always make sure to revers (with automatic locking hubs) at least two wheel revolutions as to make sure the hubs have disengaged. After time the gears inside can become sticky and not disconnect as well, if not properly disengaged can wear prematurely and cause slippage while in 4X4, not a lovely sound, plus wont get you out of sticky situations. This had happened to my previous pathfinder and caused much frustration.

P.S. Off road vehicles are designed to go into 4Hi first then the option of 4Lo from there, Neutral position on the "fun-stick" is meaning the transfer case is in neutral not the transmission (placed between Hi and Lo like Forward and revers on the auto-transmission), different but both key components of the drive train. just play around with it, 4Hi will rev like 2Hi but will skip when taking corners on pavement (not recommended for any length of time other than quick test), 4Lo will rev higher with little speed gain (lower gear ratio, more torque to wheels) skips as well on pavement(quick test if necessary), and do not drive in 4H/4L on dry road surfaces for any duration!

i'd like to say on my pathfinder and xterra and really old land cruiser. they all have instructions on them on how to shift them into four wheel drive. the nissans are in the visor over the driver side and the cruiser is on the glove box. and the nissan do say stop and put into nuetrul and push the t case lever... i've also never heard a grinding from any of these rigs going into 4 lo.

• 4 months later...

The first time I went to put my Pathy in 4x4 low the truck wasn't even on. They guy hadn't used that gear for ever and I had to put all my weight on the transfer case shifter to get it to go down and in. Now it works perfect every time.

haha first time I put it into 4 lo... it was still in neutral. I kept letting off the clutch in 1st and wondering wtf was I still rolling backwards XD

I figured it out after a few attempts though and realized I had to go down another notch.

lol the shifter in the R50 seemed a LOT simpler for some reason, even though its the exact same lay out XD

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Officially confused.....and for everyones info you can shift while moving but don't D**k around with it you have to been sharp....I miss my auto hubs though. now i have to stop everytime. At least i have 4x4 in reverse now thanks to the MM. stupid the autos dont lock in reverse

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Guys you're all missing the point, this doesn't have anything to do with 4LOW, I know what happened! I was thinking about this post and I look down at the transfer shift lever, and I realized when you look at it it looks like its in neutral just buy the position of it. someone not familiar with a four-wheel-drive looking at it would think they are in neutral when there are really 2HI, so when he shifted into what he thought was 4Lo, he was really in 4hi actually, good old regular four wheel drive, and that is why he can't push it up in to 4 high because it is already in 2h all the way up. of course he would be confused because his perception was scewed to begin with. it would have been impossible for him to accidentally shift into 4 Lo, he would not have known to push in on the gear shift knob and then down again one more time into 4lo.

Edited by gv280z