Sport exhaust?

ajracerfan

Did you want performance or sound?

A lot of people run headers with a high flow cat and flowmaster or magnaflow(my preferred) muffler. They generally sound good and perform better than stock. Pipe size should probably be 2.25-2.5"max.

B

well borla does make a 2.5" catback for the w/d21 but IMO thats a little too big. But if good sound is your goal then that would do it.

Imo best bang for the buck wold be to weld in a 2.25 magnaflow with all 2 or 2.25" pipe

well borla does make a 2.5" catback for the w/d21 but IMO thats a little too big. But if good sound is your goal then that would do it.

Imo best bang for the buck wold be to weld in a 2.25 magnaflow with all 2 or 2.25" pipe

thats good. i'd like a little of both performance and sound. magnaflow is something i was thinking about too. do yall know anything about cherry bomb? i've heard good things about them too.

IMO cherry bomb = not good sound for pathfinder

I've not seen it done but I imagine the ugly resonance given on many other vehcles just wouldn't suit a pathy.

IMO cherry bomb = not good sound for pathfinder

I've not seen it done but I imagine the ugly resonance given on many other vehcles just wouldn't suit a pathy.

ok thats good then. yeah i want a full sound and a buddy of mine, who drives a jeep, has it and it doesnt sound bad. But he only has four cylinders. i imagine thats why. But i think borla or magnaflow. do you have anything equipped?

• 1 month later...

well these are all good, ill stick with magnaflow too but i doubt you can get much sound out of the good old 3 liter

at one point i just had a straight out and it was fine but i needed an actual exhaust to pass the inspection

Cherry Bomb sounds like crap, I had one on mine for about 2 weeks, hated it. Running a Thrush now, not most peoples choice sound the way I'm set up btu I enjoy irritating my neighbors and setting off car alarms.

I was very pleased with my Borla.

I hear that allot from the muscle car crowd too. Borla has produced a good sound on every 6 & 8 cyl I've seen it on.(never paid attention to 4 cyls and what they had)

I have the Borloa nad like the way it sounds. I think you are mistaken with the size though. The paper I got said it was 2.25 inches. I remember being surprised that it was not 2.5 or larger. However, I could be the one that is mistaken.

I've heard my truck with just a straight pipe, it sounds like sh!t

x2

Open headder was way LOUD. like drag strip loud @ only 3 grand and no powe at all

cat only sounded dumb, still too loud

a very short 2.25" magnaflow made it sound good.

I hear that allot from the muscle car crowd too. Borla has produced a good sound on every 6 & 8 cyl I've seen it on.(never paid attention to 4 cyls and what they had)

I would add that it is a direct fit. Took me about 1 1/2 hours to get the old one off and put the new one on. (have a lift though, saves time) Most of the time was taken getting the old one off after being on there for 12-13 years.

Has a nice prrr to it (esp on the highway, can put you to sleep) without sounding abnoxiously loud.

They also have that million mile warranty, since it is stainless steel. Smaller and lighter too than stock.

• 3 weeks later...
well these are all good, ill stick with magnaflow too but i doubt you can get much sound out of the good old 3 liter

at one point i just had a straight out and it was fine but i needed an actual exhaust to pass the inspection

Well if you want to here what a VG30E sounds like with a Flowmaster Two-Chamber (40 Series) Muffler, Jim Wolf Technology Cold Air Intake and Doug Thorley Ceramic Coated Headers. Then watch the vid of my Pathfinder. :friday:

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" wmode="transparent" style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="">

I found some headers at 4x4parts.com but until i read this thread i hadn't given much thought to what muffler to use.

I was thinking of atempting a daul muffler Setup myself.

I don't know if it's possible without at lift or if its ever been done before..?

I found some headers at 4x4parts.com but until i read this thread i hadn't given much thought to what muffler to use.

I was thinking of atempting a daul muffler Setup myself.

I don't know if it's possible without at lift or if its ever been done before..?

Personally when my truck is warmed up and is no-longer cold (like shown in the video) it has a mellow idling growl when parked to the point it almost sounds like a 350 V8. I plan on putting up another video of it warmed up at idle, in gear, and reving it at higher RPM's.

But I'd be cautious when purchasing Header's, because it seems like the only company your getting your money's worth out of performance and quality design Doug Thorley when it comes to WD21 Pathfinders and D21 Hardbodies. Primarily due to the fact I've heard on other forums that Pacesetter Headers are prone to rusting or the welds around the exhaust tubing at either upper or lower flange has been prone to fail and break under extreme pressures. Take my advice as a former student in Welding Technology, you'll get the best performance and longer life out of Doug Thorley Headers as opposed to Pacesetter Headers, the welding they use is known as spot welding (temporary hold welds) that were leaving large gaps between the other welds on the upper and lower flange that can result in a potential break of the headers tubing creating an exhaust leak.

Now I've seen Pacesetter's Headers in person and frankly if you want something that is going to be cheap and last a short life expectancy then go for it, but if you want long lasting performance technology do what I did and get a pair of Doug Thorley Headers. Now from what my instructor told me that if the welds on a vehicle are poorly made they can pose a serious hazard, especially headers, they can leak out a massive amount exhaust fumes into the engine bay and if there's fumes from gasoline in the engine bay it will ignite due to the exhaust leak and cause an engine fire. Please note that I am not bashing against Pacesetter in any way, I'm being honest from what I've seen with my very own eye's, and I prefer that people out there off-road or drive regularly on road safely and not suffer in dumping a massive amount of money in damages. :nono::itsallgood:

When giving advice I like to pull from personal experience and not something that I "heard" on another message board. Having said that, my last Pathfinder had Pacesetter headers, magnaflow cat and a Flowmaster Delta 50 muffler. I had a local exhaust shop build a new cat-back with the flowmaster and it only cost $100 for materials and labor. They even used flanges and utilized the stock exhaust mounting points. After I totalled the truck I was able to pull off everything behind the headers and bolt it up to another Pathfinder like it was stock. The setup sounded great with the headers. I have the Doug Thorleys on a 1987 V6 D21. They are nice headers, but not worth the premium price IMO. I also have Pacesetters on my 4cyl 1997 D21 pickup and they provide a significant performance increase. It seems that many Thorley owners like to bash PS for no good reason. I have never seen or heard about PS headers failing on a nissan. Properly installed headers should never see "extreme" pressures. If you want to complain or worry about exhaust leaks then you shouldn't be driving a WD21.

As for quality, the welds on the Pacesetter headers are no better or worse than the Thorleys. I have no idea where Astroc2002 got the spot weld thing and I am an accomplished welder. The only difference between the two is that chrome plating is available on the Thorleys which will qiuckly change colors once they get hot. I personally prefer ceramic coating, but if you get painted headers you will want to have them stripped and repainted with high temp paint. The paint on the Pacesetters will burn off leaving bare metal exposed.

The bottom line is this:

Go for what you can afford.

Get ALL of your studs replaced when you have the broken ones extracted.

Save yourself some grief and have someone else install the headers. Neither Thorley or PS were direct bolt-on in my experience.

Get a high-flow cat. It should be less than $100

Have your exahust shop use flanges and factory mounts for future maintenance or removal.

I like the Flowmaster sound so I use them. 40s are pretty aggressive and 50s are more mellow in the cab. I had a glass pack and I hated it.

2.25" tubing to the muffler and 2.5" tailpipe worked the best for me. It kept the low end, but still got the big tube growl.