Pathfinder Studder, Stall, & Hesitation

stikky_p

Hey guys.. got a problem with my 87 pathfinder v6 3.0 litre... seems like when its cold ill start it and it will run perfect for 10 seconds then idle down to like 200rpm then up to 2k again then down and almost stall and keep doing it. when its really cold it wont even go back up.. just up to 2000rpms then down and stall. dont knwo what it is.. as well when i drive theres a hesitation or a studder it feels like. when its cold and i drive it it bucks like crazy.. feels like its starving for gas.. but smells really gasey? Exahust smells bad.... but usually more noticable when its cold?

Things i've done!

-Replaced Distributer

-Replaced Fuel Filter

-Replaced Air Filter

-Checked Plugs all good

-Ran off ECU codes and got code 55 all normal

-sprayed TB cleaner to clean it up..

-unplugged o2 sensor

-replaced 2 cracked vacuum hoses

Do not knwo what else to do??? Im lost... Please Help...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was gonna say it sounds like a vacuum leak, but if you replaced those hoses I don't know? 2 were cracked, are there only two to replace? Are you pumping the gas pedal when starting?

It's a far fetched thought, but when I had my 2k2 Sentra and the ECU crapped out, it would put the car into "safe mode" and not let it rev past 2k RPM's...also the idling would do the same thing (up down up down, etc) But the most noticable problem was the smell of the exhaust, it WREAKED of gas. The problem was the car was running far too rich; an air/fuel ratio issue.

Possible computer replacement??

Edited by navygz19

i do not know how to test the injectors... or where they are located on a v6 engine.. is there only the 2 in the throttle body? as well i was going to test the fuel pressure with a gauge today... we'll see how that goes.. i plugged to o2 sensor back in because it didnt help any...i checked the ecu codes and it all came back good. maybe next i will do the realtime tests to see about the crank pos sensor.. but that means i have to start it first....!!

i do not know how to test the injectors... or where they are located on a v6 engine.. is there only the 2 in the throttle body?

i don't know how to test them on the vehicle.. but your fuel injector rail should be similar to mine... here it is with my intake off...... (i have a 92 pathy)

the fuel injector rail runs along the other side the same.. you can't see it because of the towel i have over the valves.... hope this helps a bit?

Edited by Slick

Correct. Slick, his VG30i is TBI: no fuel rails.

The O2 sensor will not affect cold engine performance, it only comes into use when the engine's been warmed up. Try cleaning your MAF sensor. Make sure the hot air riser setup works properly on the bottom of the air cleaner.

You have an 87, eh? Here's another possibility. The ECU's in 87's have a mixture adjustment screw on the back of the ECU...it's entirely possible that somehow it got out of adjustment. I can look it up in my FSM if you need the procedure. (provided it's in there)

You have an 87, eh? Here's another possibility. The ECU's in 87's have a mixture adjustment screw on the back of the ECU...it's entirely possible that somehow it got out of adjustment. I can look it up in my FSM if you need the procedure. (provided it's in there)

Thats good info to know! Yay for the quirks that come from the first year of introduction ;)

whats the fsm??

FSM= Flying Spaghetti Monster OR in this case Factory Service Manual :D

Well there are people around here that have copies -- there might even be an electronic version floating around -- I'd look into that before spending the extra $$. Not that its a bad investment, but if your strapped for cash I wouldn't go for it right off.

Edited by Harbinger

I'm not strapped for cash im just sick of replacing things it might be.... cost more to do that then the diagnostics... i just thought that if its a common problem or someone might have the idea i'd be good to go... i wanna do a vacuum test and a fuel pressure test myself.. that stuff is easy.. that will help my find out if its any of those 2... other then that im stuck..

Mine did that a while back and the cause was a bunch of leaves had gotten underneath my airfilter and sucked into the intake area which clogged the mass airflow meter....i think thats what it is called...i removed the leaves and it has run perfect ever since

Back when i first bought my Pathy, it started running crappy. I pulled the filter and it ran worse just as you discribe. i put a new air filter and it ran perfect.

This being said, and i know you changed the filter, I would say it has somethign to do with your air to fuel mixture.

did you get those little hoses reconnected at the back of the air filter housing? there are 2 of them that are a pain in the A$$

Good luck

I had a problem similar to this in my '88 last year. It'd stall, idle funny, die, didn't like aceleration AT ALL...I replaced every part I could think of and it still did it. Quit driving the thing for about 3 months and then tried it again one day. No problems since. I have no idea what was wrong with it but I still don't trust it. That would be my best solution. Make it feel lonely for a few months add all kinds of additives to the fuel tank (injector cleaner, Sea Foam, anything else you can think of) start it up and drive the hell out of it for about 20 miles and then see if it still likes you. Of course, I was ready to use the thing for parts as I took it to a mechanic after replacing everything I could think of myself and he didn't have a clue either. He tried water temp sensors and all kinds of stuff. I finally said "I'm sick of paying money for guesses you and I've tried...I'm just gonna quit driving it." It'll work fine after some tough love. TRUST ME!!!

Seriously though, some time you just gotta start replacing crap. Good luck and hope you liked my story!

I had a problem similar to this in my '88 last year. It'd stall, idle funny, die, didn't like aceleration AT ALL...I replaced every part I could think of and it still did it. Quit driving the thing for about 3 months and then tried it again one day. No problems since. I have no idea what was wrong with it but I still don't trust it. That would be my best solution. Make it feel lonely for a few months add all kinds of additives to the fuel tank (injector cleaner, Sea Foam, anything else you can think of) start it up and drive the hell out of it for about 20 miles and then see if it still likes you. Of course, I was ready to use the thing for parts as I took it to a mechanic after replacing everything I could think of myself and he didn't have a clue either. He tried water temp sensors and all kinds of stuff. I finally said "I'm sick of paying money for guesses you and I've tried...I'm just gonna quit driving it." It'll work fine after some tough love. TRUST ME!!!

Seriously though, some time you just gotta start replacing crap. Good luck and hope you liked my story!

That's a funny story :P

Went to the nissan dealer and they said that its probably the timing.. They were not 100% sure without spending big bucks to check it out.. SO im taking it to another mechanic to do the work. its 1/2 the price per hour.. so ill just get him to take a peek.. the previous owner did say he did the timing belt with him mechanic but didnt have the recipt.. maybe it skipped or maybe they just dont knwo how to do it... i dont know... they could be lieing too.. etiher way... would this all cause my problems??

navygz19 Posted on Feb 21 2006, 04:40 AM

QUOTE (NissanPerson @ Feb 20 2006, 07:41 AM)

That's a funny story

But very true when it comes to 88's....

When I parked mine it was half past dead... 6 months out side in the cold... Jumpstarted it, lit up on the 1st try... Ran her up to get some gas and warm her up 1/2 mile or so.... Not one hiccup, sputter, no warning lights and the gas gauge even worked...

Now Delpha drives it everyday and it runs perfectly.......