Pathfinder Studder, Stall, & Hesitation

stikky_p

you guys are awesome.. JJ send me your full address i'll have it shipped to you right away.. as well i have a video... if anyone would care to add me to there msn id be happy to send it.. ill try to put it on the net at a site somewhere...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Déjà Vu!! :o

I noticed either a puff of smoke or a slight flame.. eitherway it may be an indication of a backfire through the throttle body, which implies that the timing may be off. This "could" also be caused by the ECU being defective (mine also did that)

I am glad to see that you are going to let Jason test it out for you... again, even if it works it will rule one thing out. And who knows, it might just solve your issues :aok:

What will FSM scans do for me.. and where are you gonna send them to...

Lots and lots of valuable information... they are 2-3 inches thick and have way more information than Haynes or Chiltons do ;)

The scans are often posted right here to the board for all to make use of :aok:

Hey Stikky,

Is yours a 5-speed (like mine) or auto? I'm not sure if it matters since I'm just testing to see if my engine runs with your ECU and not trying to drive around, but it would prolly be good to know anyhow.

30 pages done, 100 more to go...this is almost the entire EF & EC section of the factory service manual for 1988 that covers the V6 FI, ECU and wiring, all engine sensors, how they work, what makes what do what and all that. I will resize the full scans and zip them all up into a folder that I will post a link to.

*scans FSM furiously*

Sorry, been lax the past few days. It's coming. The TPS testing procedure will be in there. I hope you have a digital volt/ohmmeter.

In short though(quick check):

1. Remove the air cleaner and unplug the TPS harness connector(not the one actually ON the TPS, trace your wires back and find the other plug on the passenger's side). The TPS is located on the back side of the TBI. Little black box screwed to the TBI.

2. Hold the TPS connector up so you can see the terminals inside the connector. You should be looking at the side of the connector that goes TO the TPS.

3. With the locking tab facing up on the connector, check continuity using the ohmmeter function of your DVOM between the center and right-hand terminals.

4. Either use your hand to open and close the throttle or have someone step on the gas pedal for you. The resistance reading on your DVOM should change depending on the pedal position. If it does not change, you should replace the sensor.

i tracked the package and on june 1st it says it was out for delivery.. hopefully you will recive it today if you havent recieved it in the past 2 days...

ill try that tps check.. i do have a digital meter so we will check that..

hey.. double checked the delivery date and it appears the package is supposed to get there on the 6th... which is tomorrow.. so hopefully we can get this put in and tested asap as i just sold my other ride tonight and dont have a vehicle ...

Well, I plugged Stikky's ECU into my truck and fired her up:

Good news is the ECU seems to be working properly, bad news is the ECU seems to be working properly.

Looks like he's going to have to poke around under the hood some more to find this one. :(

Please forgive me if this has already been investigated and eliminated.... I didn't have time to read the entire thread, only the first page. I'll try to make time to review. In the meantime:

The initial problem description sounded like a classic case of an out of control (doing the wrong thing at the wrong time) Idle Air Control valve - either due to it being bad, or because it was getting bad directions from the ECU. It sounds like the ECU is OK, so then I would think about errant inputs to the ECU. The main inputs to the ECU that could cause it to midsbehave that badly would be engine speed sensor and TPS.