Better MPG?

Ramithepimp77

The best way to get better milage is remove your lift kit, and put on smaller tires... :P

It would be nice if the acetone trick worked and was harmless to the fuel system and engine, but like you, I don't want to be the one to test it out. I seem to remember reading something about this before but with a negative slant. Maybe it'll come back to me when I wake up... :shrug:

B

Drive downhill all the time!!!! :P

(Sorry, had to be said)

As far as I know, all the "tricks" have been tried long before we ever got a hold of them. The only way to get optimum mileage out of our rigs is to keep them tuned up, and try to keep wind-resistant accessories off. Tire pressure is key, as well, but I've gone anywhere from 45psi cold to 30 psi cold and not noticed any difference in mileage. My guess is that if you're at, or above the recommended tire pressure, you'll be fine.

Tire pressure is key, as well, but I've gone anywhere from 45psi cold to 30 psi cold and not noticed any difference in mileage. My guess is that if you're at, or above the recommended tire pressure, you'll be fine.

At my last service, the dealer put the tire pressure down to 32 psi from the 45 I usually run on my 10 ply LT rated tires (rated to 80 psi but that is a little extreme). I noted a drop of about 3-4 mpg on the lower pressure but a nicer ride. They are now back to 45 psi, will see what happens (the service was done at the same time an O2 sensor was replaced, hope that is not what is causing the drop in fuel economy! :o ).

Too late, I already went out and got some and poured 2 ounces in me tank. I saw this thread on NOR and read up on it.

Acetone is supposed to lower the surface tension of the gasoline, thereby allowing it to atomize/vaporize more easily and combust more completely. They recommend 2 ounces per 10 gallons of gas. Apparently it's been used by several people for years and they've had no ill effects on the fuel system or engine. Mine runs just fine still as well. Acetone burns very clean, has a high octane rating and with the small recommended amount being used in this way, any effects on your vehicle are very slight.

By the way, a 16-ounce bottle of 100% pure acetone in the Beauty section (nail polish remover) of the local supermarket cost me $2.99, and it has enough acetone for four tanks worth of gas. I think the cost-to-improvement ratio will more than pay for the additive as long as I get more than 1-2 MPG out of it. It'll be cheaper per tank if you buy a gallon can at a home improvement store, probably. Anybody care to do the math for us? ;)

I'll let you all know how it goes.

i think some of the biggest improvements in mileage will be tuning up everything...including the often overlooked o2 sensor. i just replaced a faulty one in the dsm...i got an additional 90 miles outta my tank...swear to god. before it got 420 miles to a tank...today i got 510 and my fuel light wasnt even on...just from spending $50 on a new part. that paired with a light foot has drastically decreased my fuel consumption

LMAO Rami !! I'll jump if you jump first, for exactly the same reason; I'll be aiming for you !! :D

Not working I use about $25 gas every 2 weeks so I can afford to wait and see if any problems develope and what the fixes are... ;)

Kinda a "don't loose/win" situation.

B

That’s great if it makes an improvement for you… but I would recommend one thing. Get something better than the drug store polish remover… I don’t care what the bottle say’s, nail polish remover is probably not the best choice of acetone for this.

I spent about 5yrs dealing directly with Acetone on a daily basis, but we used industrial grade 100% pure acetone. And I can tell you that nail polish remover is not as good/high of grade. Also the article is right about the can simply labeled “Acetone” that you find in the hardware store.. Again it’s not the same quality.

If you notice an improvement (hell, maybe even if you don’t) go to a chemical supply store.. Like maybe a paint store and get some industrial grade 100% pure… And see how that does. ;)

Get something better than the drug store polish remover… I don’t care what the bottle say’s, nail polish remover is probably not the best choice of acetone for this.

good illustration....

take an aluminum tray and put some nail polish remover in it. Throw in some packing styrafoam peanuts and see what happens.

Do the same but use acetone you can pickup at a paint store or even that which you can get at a hardware store.

Although you can smell it, I have doubts that there is hardly any acetone in NPR

Acetone is crazy expensive by the gallon that $9 is way out dated at Lowes in MD I got a quart for over $5...I had tried this before but not diligent enough to give a result however for the 4 tanks i tried i did indeed get an improvement, problem was that i feel as if i may have babied the truck just because!!!

Now i have the e-fan on and get enough fun out of the 3.3l truck and i am willing again to try this. so we'll have a 3.3 and a 3.0 checking ersults...that's sweet!

Acetone is a great paint remover 88 so watch out!! I work in the paint dept at lowes and everytime we have a spill i usually scam the store into writing off a gallon just to make my day easier!!!

good illustration....

take an aluminum tray and put some nail polish remover in it. Throw in some packing styrafoam peanuts and see what happens.

Do the same but use acetone you can pickup at a paint store or even that which you can get at a hardware store.

Although you can smell it, I have doubts that there is hardly any acetone in NPR

Ahh yes.. the Styrofoam test! lol

*With urgency in his voice.. (maybe even a little panic) he grabs a Styrofoam cup and yells at the new guy to "get over here". Puts a mark on the cup using a sharpie :rolleyes: Then proceeds to tell him to RUN to the chemical room and fill the cup to EXACTLY the level of the line with "PURE UNCONTAMINATED" Acetone and RUN back!*

*Yells "Hurry up, run!!! Just before he exits the shop doors*

*Then everyone else stands at the shop entrance in view of the chem room and patiently awaits his embarrassed return... all laughing their butts off* ;)

They never make it back with a cup of Acetone... :laugh: hell, they never even came back with a cup :lol:

Oh those day's were so much fun :D

You are demented Red !! Maybe thats why I like you.... :shrug: At least you had to stampede the guy, I've had someone ask me for a brass magnet before... I had a buddy who 'rebuilt' the carbs on his motorcycle, was too cheap to buy new float bowl seals and used silicone... Then called me up because it wouldn't run. I was able to troubleshoot that one over the phone. "Pull them apart and clean them dumba$$ !!". I was 16 and knew better !! Ahh, the mamories...

B

Interesting articles. I'll have to give acetone a try. I actually bought a Scan-Gauge last month, and have been using it to track my fuel economy. It's a pretty cool device.

I just did a google for scan gauge and got to their site. Cool looking product. Where are you plugging that into? The OBDII plug?