Better MPG?

Ramithepimp77

wow. your dash is very uhhh. busy

:) I love gadgets! :rolleyes: But they're all useful! :D

GPS- gotta know where you are and how to get to where you're going!

CB- to stay in touch with buddies on the trail

ScanGauge- voltmeter, coolant temp, MPG, etc.

Clinometer- to help keep the shiny side up! :P

Yo XPLORx4,

what is the deal with the tape player thingy that ends to a plug adapter?? Please tell me that it is hooked up to an MP3 player and not a portable CD player!! :laugh:

ps...if it is hooked up to a plain jane portable...PM me I'll hook up up with my stocker if you like!! ;)

:) I love gadgets! :rolleyes: But they're all useful!  :D

GPS- gotta know where you are and how to get to where you're going!

CB- to stay in touch with buddies on the trail

ScanGauge- voltmeter, coolant temp, MPG, etc.

Clinometer- to help keep the shiny side up!  :P

no GPS - The sun rises in theeast and sets in the west. From this, you can tell north and south. There are few places in the country where you drive for a long time without running into a highway or town (though I did end up on a missile range one time and in Mexico another)

no CB - (actually, a portable emergency one under the seat). Follow the dust! Follow the tire tracks still filling with water. Meet up with whomever at the end of the day. If you break, start hoofin. If you come across someone who's broken, chances are that they're somewhere down the road ahead.

no ScanGauge - check fluids and such before you leave. If the little idiot light turns on, stop.

no Clinometer - If your ass is over your head, you're wrong.

:aok:

Bump P...

88 are you out there!!! Did you have any luck w/acetone yet? or did it turn out like a richard simmons diet? I actually stayed on it and have yet to see a "gain" however, on the flip side I have yielded a lot more steady results w/my MPG. I am doing the 1 oz per 10 gallons measure and my MPG has been very steady at 14.5 MPG in town (i live only 2.7 mi from both of my jobs!!).

It would seem that this stuff is evening out the quality of the gas that i am buying...despite getting gas from 3 different places.

******I am taking a late vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this weekend. This is an 8 hr drive and about 500 miles each way...any tips from anybody out there on the best mileage or even an adjustment with the acetone?? I mean other than the egg on the gas pedal thing!! ;) ***********

Thanks guys!

15mpg is what I average for short in town trips with my WD21, without acetone. I thought the article said 1-2 oz per 10 gallons, but less is more beyond that point... Up the concentration maybe ? Check me on that.

Air up the tires to 35-40 psi, and keep the RPMs under 3000 (thats the rule with a WD21 anyway)... Interested to hear your highway milage compared to before...

B

no GPS - The sun rises in theeast and sets in the west.  From this, you can tell north and south.  There are few places in the country where you drive for a long time without running into a highway or town (though I did end up on a missile range one time and in Mexico another)

no CB - (actually, a portable emergency one under the seat). Follow the dust! Follow the tire tracks still filling with water. Meet up with whomever at the end of the day.  If you break, start hoofin.  If you come across someone who's broken, chances are that they're somewhere down the road ahead.

no ScanGauge - check fluids and such before you leave.  If the little idiot light turns on, stop.

no Clinometer - If your ass is over your head, you're wrong.

hahahaha.. of course mr. engineer.. gadgests? we don't need no stinkin' gadgets! :P

Edited by mzxtreme

******I am taking a late vacation to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina this weekend. This is an 8 hr drive and about 500 miles each way...any tips from anybody out there on the best mileage or even an adjustment with the acetone?? I mean other than the egg on the gas pedal thing!! ;) ***********

Thanks guys!

stay out of full throttle on uphills. i'd definately check all fluids, clean air filter etc.. etc.. reduse air drag...

Well, i did give her 2 coats of wax over the last weekend!!! ;) I tried to predict the savings between the wife's 01 alty and my path and i decided that if it comes down to only $40-$60 that "path" was going....well about $60 in saving it would be or at least until Rita hits and beats everything up anyhow!! :crazy:

:laugh:

no GPS - The sun rises in theeast and sets in the west.  From this, you can tell north and south.  There are few places in the country where you drive for a long time without running into a highway or town (though I did end up on a missile range one time and in Mexico another)

Apparently we don't drive in the same roads. Try surrounding yourself in trees, take a long series of mountain twists and turns on a cloudy day, then straighten yourself out. Sun rises...? What is that? Welcome to a day in the NW. :) Oh, wait, a compass and a map. Now I'm feeling you man. Although I have yet to get totally lost, and I haven't ended up in Mexico. Canada could happen maybe.

As for best MPG on your road trip, air up the tires, use the AC on the highway if needed rather than windows, keep a constant cruising speed (not too fast, like 70 or below roughly), use the eggshell thing even though you don't like it, don't push it, either in speed or hills, etc. etc. etc. But then, I drive a WD21 brick so even if I keep my foot down and play bad, I only lose a couple mpg at most. Good luck.

Oh, and the ass over the head bit. Yeah, that would be a bad thing.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

WAVEY Hello everybody!

From an average temp of 85 f to a temp of 69 f where i actually live!!! Yikes its cold here right now!! I just returnd from Myrtle Beach SC and my numbers are in (all but one tank). I was very happy to see that my truck with over 90k was getting near its EPA numbers despite the little help it had. All numbers were corrected for tire size. Keep in mind i do have an e-fan, oil'd-cotton drop in filter and improved muffler system....so that does detract from my actual number but not by much. My travel speed was between 65mph and 75mph, with short bursts when needed. These numbers show that my machine is in great maintenance.

1st tank 18.47 mpg/hwy 1oz - 10gal

2nd tank 17.83 mpg/hwy No Acetone

3rd tank 16.27 mpg/combo No Acetone

4th tank 17.80 mpg/hwy 1.5oz - 10gal

I would say that these numbers show that 1 oz per 10 gallons of gas is the best mixture here, maybe less is even better yet, but i am not driving to SC again for a while! You can see that the tank with no acetone is less by about .5 mpg, this would only lead to about 10 more miles a tank. I am not convinced that this would lead to great great savings unless i drove long distances all the time and kept it at 65 mph constant, as we know those commie bastards at the EPA can prove and engines potential in "perfect" conditions. Though i did read a motor week post that their truck attained these numbers and i think actually did better on the HWY!!!

****The only other things to keep relevant would be that i ran the AC all the way and had a 75lb subwoofer box in the back along with tons of packaged crap and 2 adults/1 child riding in the truck. I am certain also that the aftermarket 255/70/16 Coopers are a bit heavier than 235/70/15's that were rated for the truck.

Thanks 98sp !! If I remember the article correctly, the gas milage tapers off when you stop using the acetone so your third fill up would be the most accurate for 'normal' fuel. That would indicate in this brief test that you experienced a 5-10% milage gain. Helpful, but not that impressive. Still, saving 1 gallon per tank is $3 a fill up... :shrug: I always said I'd be happy if I could get 20mph, and that would make it close... Damn, I need headers and a free flow cat !! :D

B

I have put some thought into the free flow cat also, as well as having an "H" pipe put in just ahead of the muffler.

good news/confusing news

i filled up the tank just 2 days ago in my pathy (the 5th tank from my trip), i tried to get this done quickly so as not to ruin the last HWY trip mileage. this last tank i put 2 oz per 10 gals of gas and guess what the MPG did?? It went up! I got 18.94 MPG on the last tank. looking at the previous tanks and amount of acetone...this is a flawed response but i checked it several times and I actually got 18.94 MPG on the last tank!! so maybe next fill up i will put 4 oz in.

All i can say is that my method of measure is very crude since the truck still has about 4 gallons in it (with acetone from last fill up) I pour in 4 oz (or whatever) and fill the remaining 16 gals. This would mean that there is more than 2 oz a per 10 gallons since the remaining gas would have that mixture from the previous tank...I don't know maybe 88 can shed some light here but this is very crude measure and confusing results....making it tough to replicate, but interesting MPG.

........ps- -if my truck burns up i'll tell you guys :o

Edited by 98silverpathy

It'll balance out if you always refill the tank at or near the same point and add the same amount of acetone every time.

I don't believe there will be any problems from the acetone added to the gas, being as it is such a small amount compared to the volume of gas it's being added to...

And to finish... Bernard, I simply haven't had enough money lately to be able to fill the tank more than once a month. Makes it kinda hard to estimate mileage. Go figure. Good thing I got a job near-by, bad thing winter's coming and I can't take the option of riding my bike to work anymore unless I want to show up sweaty and tired. :P

• 4 weeks later...