tow hooks + brush guard

sewebster

I picked up two of the OEM tow hooks at the pick-a-part since i figured they would be better than nothing. I went to put them on, and found that my OEM brush guard is mounted where they usually attach. Does this mean I have to choose one or the other? Or can I just put the tow hooks on the bottom. I guess I might need longer bolts to go through everything... Here are two pics:

6156590505_fdb4083786_z.jpg

6156590439_26662d8cce_z.jpg

The tow hook bolts where the two indicated bolts are and sits somewhat like drawn in the other picture. Or should I just put some d-rings in these other holes (arrow drawn)?

The tow hooks have this weird (intentional) slight bend in them so that I could only mount them both facing to the passenger side or else they'd hit the brush guard. That might look weird I guess.

Or maybe I should just tow on those big holes in the brush guard, but perhaps it isn't designed for that.

Edited by sewebster

I'd be a little leery of towing from the brush guard. I'm pretty sure the drop-downs are tow brackets, so they should be fine, even just as is.

Looks like the hooks would foul against the brush guard, or at least the cable would if you hooked them to anything. Can't hurt to try, though you're probably right about putting longer bolts in.

Just my personal opinion. I'd get rid of the grill guard, make 100 bucks from selling it, and rock the twin tow hooks! The brush guard is useless since it's only mounted from the bottom. get a fat guy leanin on it, and it'll get bent, and it'll only amplify the damage to your truck when/if you rear end someone.

Just my personal opinion. I'd get rid of the grill guard, make 100 bucks from selling it, and rock the twin tow hooks! The brush guard is useless since it's only mounted from the bottom. get a fat guy leanin on it, and it'll get bent, and it'll only amplify the damage to your truck when/if you rear end someone.

I agree. The factory grill guards are kinda cheesy. They look nice though.

Factory brush guards give the illusion of coolness (and honestly, I've thought of rocking one, all though I'd be figuring ways to brace it more). If you like it though, get some longer bolts and go for the double hook as well. Hunt around more in the junkyards too as there actually is a left and right hook (the bends in them opposite). I'll look and see if I have a dead on photo to show what I mean (mine are an actual "pair")

Factory brush guards give the illusion of coolness (and honestly, I've thought of rocking one, all though I'd be figuring ways to brace it more). If you like it though, get some longer bolts and go for the double hook as well. Hunt around more in the junkyards too as there actually is a left and right hook (the bends in them opposite). I'll look and see if I have a dead on photo to show what I mean (mine are an actual "pair")

There are Left and Right Hooks!?!?! I've been running two of the same with one upside down the whole time so they both hook outward. But one points slightly down because of the offset.

Ok, so it seems that towing off the brush guard is a no-go, and that towing off either the hooks or those drop down points would work. I guess my main concern is with the tow strap rubbing on something. It seems like with the hooks it might help a bit, because they will be further forward. Anyway, maybe I'll goof around with them and see what I think, perhaps search after the ultra-rare "opposite hook" :)

As for the brush guard being a bad idea... part of why I have it on there is actually for brush. I drive on a bunch of logging roads that are totally overgrown with alder. If you aren't familiar with this phenomenon it's a fast growing little tree that you can push out of the way easily (at least until it gets too big). Seems like having something to keep this stuff off the front of the truck isn't the dumbest idea. My brush guard is mounted in 4 places. The two bottom points where the tow hook attach which seem fairly strong, and two upper points behind the grille. I guess the upper points aren't really actually very secure... so is that the concern when getting in a crash, that the brush guard will be pushed back up top and damage stuff? Whereas without it maybe the bumper would take the damage? I can see an aftermarket bumper being better, but I don't know how much the OEM bumper is going to do...

I guess the upper points aren't really actually very secure... so is that the concern when getting in a crash, that the brush guard will be pushed back up top and damage stuff? Whereas without it maybe the bumper would take the damage? I can see an aftermarket bumper being better, but I don't know how much the OEM bumper is going to do...

This. And those light hoops bend very easily. VERY EASILY! I found out the hard way.

Light hoops = the headlight "protection". Those little drop down "tow points" are actuall t-hook tie down points for towing the truck (as in tieing you truck down on a flatbed/trailer/etc, not using suspension as tie down points)

There are Left and Right Hooks!?!?! I've been running two of the same with one upside down the whole time so they both hook outward. But one points slightly down because of the offset.

Like MY1PATH, I also rock double hooks with one pointing slightly down. I've been meaning to heat it up with a torch, put a jack under it and make the angle the same as the other one.

Like MY1PATH, I also rock double hooks with one pointing slightly down. I've been meaning to heat it up with a torch, put a jack under it and make the angle the same as the other one.

Same here, I have never seen the drivers side hook...(?)

i have smashed down on one of my hooks to the point it looks like it could be a driver side hook ;)

There were OEM tow hooks offered by Nissan specifically for the WD21?

Edited by jwblue

• 1 month later...

"nunya has them pointed in so I guess that's the way they should go" :rofl:

That's the way the right side one on all my previous Nissans was aimed so I always assumed the left one would be flipped so they 'looked' more uniform. Never even tried to point them towards the fenders to even see if they would fit that way personally :shrug:

I first saw a factory brush guard back in 87 when I bought my hardbody and always thought it was the best one available, the one I saw was mounted very solidly to the truck it was on which made me want one, so I bought one. Of course I would never have tried to tow off of it but I liked the fact that when you pulled on the brush guard the whole truck moved.

i used to have a IPF bull bar mounted where the tow hooks mount, and i have 2 tow hooks. my truck came with longer bolts on the drivers side to fit the tow hook and bull bar together, and i just needed to pick up longer bolts for the passenger side when i added a tow hook on that side. since then i have removed the bull bar, and now i just have 2 tow hooks mounted, so i cant get any pics for ya, but it is possible to run both...