19 members have voted

1. 1. Paint, powercoat, bedline?

• Stock paint-Flat Black
    • Paint- Color match to body
    • Powdercoat - black
    • Powdercoat - color matched to body
    • Bedliner coating
    • Dont do anything

Ok, so Im going to rebuild my rear tire carrier. I was thinking about giving it a facelift. As you can see, I cant make up my mind. Price may also be a factor, I ve got some quotes out. What do you think? if you have other suggestions, please, post them up.

Thanks!

Derek

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

What, no powdercoat nunya-pink?

I chose powdercoat, black. I wish I had the cash to have mine powdercoated, one less thing to clean up every spring.

I sanded mine down and repainted it years back...its holding up well (save for one spot that got scratched up pretty bad by flag mount..)

I used semi-gloss black, looks good and was cheap/simple enough...I've seen one person who powdercoated theirs, and although it looked alright, I don't really see the point. I bedliner'd my new bumper, but did not use the roll on stuff that always looks wet and is really goopy, I used spray-on bedliner from walmart and it has been holding up very well, is a sandpaper feel, kinda a semi-gloss matte look.

Don't paint it the color of the body, it would look weird at the very least, and you wouldn't be able to get it to match EXACTLY so it would look wrong..

Most of this post is my personal preferences, and that's what your decision will ultimately be, what YOU like....

I voted for stock paint. I used semi-gloss on mine which I thought was the OEM finish.

I remember one time I was in downtown Toronto and I saw a wd21 with gold painted tire carrier and fender flares. It scared me.

I went with rattle can black. Simple, cheap, easy to touch up and can last for years if properly done. 2nd vote would be bedliner, I simply don't think anything else is worth the $... :shrug:

WAIT!!

What aboot POR-15??

B

What, no powdercoat nunya-pink?

I chose powdercoat, black. I wish I had the cash to have mine powdercoated, one less thing to clean up every spring.

THIS IS THE WAY TO GO!

mine I just spray on bedlined until the weather breaks then im proably gonna scuff it down good and use brush on liner. So I vote for bedliner if anythign just because it will annoy Adam :lol:

Powder Coat Cardinal BK08 Black. Its 20% gloss and 120lbs per inch impact resitance. Its one of the strongest powdercoatings in the industry and it looks good! Just check out my wheels.

Powder Coat Cardinal BK08 Black. Its 20% gloss and 120lbs per inch impact resitance. Its one of the strongest powdercoatings in the industry and it looks good! Just check out my wheels.

Stock Paint OEM or Flat. WAY easier on the pocket, Easy enough to repaint.

I do know a guy, who would bake BK08 on that for about $75. Yes rattle cans are cheaper but $75 doesn't see like much to pay for what you are getting. And re-painting will not be necessary... its tough stuff...

Ok, well I have decided to just paint it with a semi-gloss black for now. Im gonna make some changes to the carrier, so until I have the the way I want it, no powercoat.

I attempted to rebuild the bushings last night. I found my bushings are way different than the ones I pulled out, and they dont fit the same. Also, they didnt include the longer upper pin. Now I wait to either modify or get new bushings(I ruined two of them on accident). I have a line on a second carrier for cheap. I may make the same modifications to it, then tear it apart and may powercoat that one. We will see.

Anyone have another idea for bushings on the tire carrier?

I compared the part numbers to what people had listed in the how-to thread, so I dont think so. I looked them up using the Nissan Fast system, using my vin number. Its wierd. I remember rebuilding one, like, 12 years ago in Phoenix. It was fairly simple. IM wondering if a different company is making them now?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, well I have decided to just paint it with a semi-gloss black for now. Im gonna make some changes to the carrier, so until I have the the way I want it, no powercoat.

I attempted to rebuild the bushings last night. I found my bushings are way different than the ones I pulled out, and they dont fit the same. Also, they didnt include the longer upper pin. Now I wait to either modify or get new bushings(I ruined two of them on accident). I have a line on a second carrier for cheap. I may make the same modifications to it, then tear it apart and may powercoat that one. We will see.

Anyone have another idea for bushings on the tire carrier?

Call Alkorahil... ;)

B

Well, I ended up painting my backup carrier, Semi-flat black. I layed down two coats of Self-etching primer, then two coats of Rustoleum Semi-flat black. I came out better than I thought it would. Problem is, I have already chipped it. When I do more fabrications to my original carrier, I will probably powdercoat it for durability. what do you think so far?

tirecarrierpics038.jpg