R50 Jdm Headlight Install Thread

shift220

Holy fskc!! That is brighter than my highbeams and hella 500s combined!

So does the HID stay on while the high beams halogens come on? Looks like it from your pic.

Nope, they turn off when the highbeams come on. I think the lense gives it a slightly blue tint on the ground. I thought about dual lights but it doesn't seem necessary for these.

It's to bad these aren't more readily available, they are a huge upgrade over stock!

I have mine wired so that the city lights come on with the parking lights, and also so that I can have both the high-beam halogens on with the low-beam HIDs, or with just the high-beams only. I also installed white #194 LEDs as the city-light lamps.

On those 6-wire plugs for the motor, I know one is ground, one is +12v (use the parking lamp signal wire), and the other 4 are for each of the positions. I didn't have time to check the plug this weekend to determine which wire is for what signal, but I do know that, for convenience and simplicity of wire routing, I used a CAT5 network cable, and ran that through the firewall to the modified dashboard switch. LOL :) The switch uses all connections but the gnd signal.

Edited by XPLORx4

that is sick as hell! i wish i could get a pair for my pathy. i envy my brother's Q with the HIDs, but those don't have projectors like these badboys do.

Nope, they turn off when the highbeams come on. I think the lense gives it a slightly blue tint on the ground. I thought about dual lights but it doesn't seem necessary for these.

It's to bad these aren't more readily available, they are a huge upgrade over stock!

I can source more sets, both for the pre-facelift and facelift R50's. It just takes a few months. :aok:

Really glad you're enjoying this kit, Andrew. :beer:

I can source more sets, both for the pre-facelift and facelift R50's. It just takes a few months. :aok:

yeah, i recall some older threads where you were able to track down a couple sets and how long it finally took you to get yours (i'm search button-literate. haha), but i'm not sure if i want to pay that much. super enticing, but i just don't know. if it were under $1k, i'd definitely consider it, but from the sounds of it, i don't think that'd be the case.

Did they ever make them for the wd21s, Tyler? I thought I saw them somewhere. :whip:

• 1 year later...

Is there a source for just the bare housing/lense and not the guts? I already did a HID projector retrofit (from www.retrofitsource.com) in my stock '96-'99 housings and vacu-formed some new clear lenses but I'd like the look a little cleaner and the JDM lense/housing looks good.

eBay appears to only have complete sides which I neither need nor will pay for.

Thanks.

...been wondering how these would look mounted up and glowing. Must be patient...

Hey, I like your sig pic... but is it just me or is a headlight out in that pic... its been bugging me for awhile ... not sure if its an optical illusion or really out ;)

• 1 year later...

I have a set. They look great and function even better. I also have 4 LED fog lights. Two in the front and two for reverse lights. Then I just ordered 4 7inch HID fog lights. So I will light up the night now.

• Like 1

I won't spend money on form, if the function can be had at a better price. ...frugality is one of the reasons I do all the work myself if I can do it.

Some people like the stock look, i am one of them, you have your ideas of what works, i have mine, personally, i think having auto leveling FACTORY HID's will look way cleaner than a light bar...

-Kyle

Edited by ferrariowner123