What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Got my front end aligned, drives pretty good now. Town Fair Tire report says Camber and Caster are off slightly on FLH wheel...but can't adjust it.

Yesterday I failed MA state inspection....had loose FLH wheel bearing assembly and bad FRH ball joint - got that fixed in an hour and passed inspection.

Also, cleaned out the panels behind the front fenders...leaves and dirt had accumulated for a while, it was like a rat's nest in there! And general going over and revieweing the whole underside, which looks generally good, other than a bit of rust. New car for me as of three days ago, so have to check it all out...

Might be able to get the alignment better now that you have a new wheel bearing. I had an alignment done once and they said they couldn't get it perfect due to the slop in the bearings. New set of bearings and another alignment and they got it perfect.

Why would they not check the bearings first? Any garage I've been to won't align it until that's fixed. Because now you're doing it twice.

Well in my case I asked them to do the alignment anyways, since I didn't see it being possible to change them anytime soon and my alignment was totally whack from installing new struts and OME coils.

You can just adjust the bearings. Don't need to replace them unless they feel rough.

Well that would have been nice to know! I assumed because they had 140K miles on them it wasn't unreasonable for them to be shot. Do you do that just by tightening the retaining ring (probably with new grease too)?

Yes, you just tighten the nut. However, there is no good way to tell if they feel rough without taking them out and spinning them by hand. At that point, might as well repack them with grease if they are okay. I personally wouldn't just tighten the bearing without removing them for inspection unless it was for a short time, like to make it to the weekend when you had more time to do it right.

• Like 1

These aren't @!*% box domestic cars, they were built to a way higher standard.. The bearings on my 94 are original and have almost half a million km. I just repack and adjust when I do the brakes.

• Like 2

Yes, you just tighten the nut. However, there is no good way to tell if they feel rough without taking them out and spinning them by hand. At that point, might as well repack them with grease if they are okay. I personally wouldn't just tighten the bearing without removing them for inspection unless it was for a short time, like to make it to the weekend when you had more time to do it right.

These aren't @!*% box domestic cars, they were built to a way higher standard.. The bearings on my 94 are original and have almost half a million km. I just repack and adjust when I do the brakes.

Thanks guys, I'll keep that in mind for the future. Wasted a good bit of money for no reason I guess. Oh well, what's that old saying, live and learn? :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Over the last week I installed new bearing race bushing cups for LCA rods and new upper/lower ball joints. Almost everything needs replacing or disassembling and cleaning with the front end. It's my dd and I can't work without it and lack the funds and time to do it all at once, so it's been very tedious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just rotated my tires and noticed a nice hole in my strut tower. Great. Going to get quotes, then decide if taking it to the dealer is worth the risk. I doubt they'd do a fantastic job anyway, so hopefully the quotes aren't crazy.

Given that the dealer solution involves glue, you'd probably be better off welding it up yourself. Never fun to find holes you didn't know were there. Good luck patching it up.

Thank you. The more I think, the less I want to go to the dealer. They'll probably do a poor job, and they'll also probably try to buy it off me (NO!). Getting a quote tonight.

Tranny fell off my jack and went boom. Transmission fluid everywhere. No cracks luckily just some sharp edges that need to be cut filed down. I though I was going to be okay with out the straps on but it caught my header and of it went. I'm going to try again Thursday on my day off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

So I took Marvin through the car wash (courtesy of my former employer-lol) this morning and then proceeded to run over a Seagull on my way to work...stupid $hithawks. Fiftytwelve of them were fighting over something in the median and one of them had the misfortune to decide, at just that moment, to fly under my front drivers tire. Marvin:1, $hithawk: no score.

I told this to my buddy at work and he reminded me that here in BC, you are not allowed to kill seagulls(apparently some GOVT nob decided to make the Seagull our provincial bird)...Oh snap, MY BAD.

Moving on....

Edited by Bunchie
  • Like 1

"Assisted suicide"...hmmm hadn't though of it in that perspective. If so then that makes me a somewhat unwilling "assistant".

Is 57 too old to be an assistant? Probably not. I just became a maintenance tech in a pharmaceutical mfging Co after 27 years as a Security Field Tech...

It's ALL good!

• Like 1

Drove it to the new house. First time I have ever had the pathy on the freeway. First time I have had it over 60 mph too, got up to 70. Oddly enough, the reverse lights are working now, also a first.

Edit: Got to do something about the seat, that thing is so broken down it is very uncomfortable for an extended period.

Edited by Citron

Installed some more lights. Didn't know exactly where I wanted to put them because I really didn't have a place and I thought the bumper look really goofy so I decided to put them in the grill. I think it looks good.0d9db3f3e9e2a3ae2629235f7311b445.jpg8036dd7679ac9c1c031718c27192c41d.jpg6016b878851a06de2d94229ece3d1941.jpg0b800c0e3fef8ada9c2afcd1f0d011e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Transmission is mated up. Issue now is the engine and transmission assembly is not square with the frame for my crossmember to line up with the bolt holes. Sonuvagun this thing is heavy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1